• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pawn shop score!

El Gringo

Cut it out, I'm nothing more than an old man who in his very long, [50yrs], ago past fell in love with Gibson Les Pauls and have tried to learn as much as I could in those years. I cherish facts and each nugget of truth has opened vistas of understanding.

I HAVE LEARNED SO VERY MUCH HERE AT THE LES PAUL FORUM!!!!

There is so much REAL KNOWLEDGE available here. There're researchers here that spend years and even decades finding true facts about the most arcane subjects which add so much to our knowledge base, enriching us all with fact.

I believe fact trumps opinion. I always try to be clear about my opinion vs my facts.

All I've done is state my opinion of this strangers, [his word], unverified story based on my experience. I could be wrong, but like every newbie lately, if I disagree with their opinion or challenge unproven assertions presented as fact, with proven fact, the defence is to launch snide personal attacks and more drivel.

Also the op has presented a story almost exactly as one posted in the last couple of years. Same Pawn Shop story, same number confusion, same mystery super luthier, [was not in fact, crafting no guitars], who was offered up as proof with zero provenance. No name, no verification, just supposed to accept it.
So similar that I've wondered if this is the same poster. I can't believe I'm the only one who remembers it.

It's important to state my disbelief is an opinion. In no way are my speculations proof of anything other than raising reasonable doubt and pointing out a curious similarity to a previous attempt.

But good grief El Gringo muy compadre, I ain't no sacred cow.:ha
God Bless You Big Al !!!

Texsunburst59

I personally think it's VERY believable that he found that Vintage Gibson Deluxe for that price.

I'm living proof that amazing pawnshop scores are alive an well in today's market.

I scored all these guitars and basses at all the national chain pawnshops over the last 10 yrs.,but the majority of them over the last 4 yrs.

These are just my best deals. I've scored A LOT of other guitars for way less than market value.

$64.64 - '74 Fender Jazz Bass
$100 - '09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde Tele
$125 - '90 MIJ Fender '57RI P-Bass
$149 - '98 Yamaha LL-11 Acoustic
$180 - '98 USA Parker Nitefly
$180 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$180 - '78 Hamer Black Bound and Crowned Sunburst
$190 - '92 Hamer Chapparal Bass
$204 - '94 Fender Jazz V Plus Bass
$207 - '96 Larrivee D-05 acoustic
$212 - '85/'87 USA Kramer Baretta 1
$270 - '03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
$315 - '89 Fender Jazz Bass
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
$400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$500 - '75 Fender Strat
$750 - '77 Gibson LP Deluxe
$756 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
$993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
$1000 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
$1200 - '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top
$1340 - '15 Suhr Classic Pro SSH
$2400 - '63 Gibson ES-330 W/ Bigsby

Amps:

$250 - '05 Hughes & Kettner Tri Amp MKII Head
$320 - '07 Vox AC 30 Tube Combo
$400 - '10 Mesa Boogie Roadster Dual Rectifier Combo
$600 - '73 Fender SF Deluxe Reverb
$600 - '83 Mesa Boogie MKIIC loaded head

Last edited:

Pat Boyack

Big Al , great post and succinct and on point . To the uninformed Big Al is on the Mt. Rushmore of Guitars and knowledge and experience esp. of al things Gibson Les Paul's . Try listening and you might actually learn as I have numerous times and I am far better informed about my lifetime passion of Guitar ! because of the Kindness to inform and teach me from Big Al !!!!!!!

A lot of truth here.

bobalu

Why do I only ever "read" about these things happening? (to someone else) :dang I want a pawn shop find of my own!:## Cool story though.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
What kind of pro is going to be wrong as to call an oval serial guitar a 1979? That in itself is enough to make the story suspect.

A pawn shop that would price a 2004 Deluxe at 850? Not a good businessman.

Calling a guitar with a serial that starts with 00004 a 79 (oval or not) is just NOT supported by ANY of the books or online resources. In 1979 the number would start with "7" period.

Using the number system in place in 2004 the number not likely be 00004. There has to be a day number

If the guitar has an oval and starts with 00 it's clearly made in 1976

Last edited:
I saw the guitar, serial number, ect., myself. The fellow who owns the shop (a real luthier) has over 35 years of experience, and many of his personal collection had been pictured in Guitar Player Magazine over the years.

Thanks for calling me (a total Stranger) a liar. Bet you make lots of friends. Of course this is the internet and people have a tendency to act differently than if in person.

Just because a lack of knowledge doesn't mean something is false.

Like the lyrics from a Metallaca song....."An empty can rattles the loudest".

Have a nice day!

This is by no means my favorite forum. I rate the Marshall Amp Forum much better. But I’d say the vast majority of users here are helpful. There are a core group of bullies and a couple popped up in your thread. I’ve seen people aggressively chopped down for next to nothing and it’s usually by the same cast of characters. Regardless of the back pedaling now, you were called out and I read it the same way you did.

Trans-Am

......................it is out there really, just the right place at the right time.:yah

deytookerjaabs

I'm kinda wondering who these Pawn Shop "Pros" are myself. Most of the places 'round here are chain stores staffed by 20 yr old single moms who defer to the resident guitar expert dude who owns 3 Jacksons & knows the intro to Enter Sandman along with "dorian mode." And they really don't seem to focus on the floor inventory side of the business at that.

Trans-Am

......................at the end of the day the buyer was a great friend and a drinking/playing buddy of the seller?:spabout

Major discount!:laugh2::2cool:salude

Hammerhead

Miracles do happen.

Somebody over at the Tele forum snagged a refinished 1952 for $20...

SpencerD

I'm kinda wondering who these Pawn Shop "Pros" are myself. Most of the places 'round here are chain stores staffed by 20 yr old single moms who defer to the resident guitar expert dude who owns 3 Jacksons & knows the intro to Enter Sandman along with "dorian mode." And they really don't seem to focus on the floor inventory side of the business at that.

Doooood!!!! :laugh2: Brutal and factual......:dude::peace2:yah

Tell It Like It Is!