The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Incoming!!! New Vintage Guitar Day!!!

Just finalized the purchase of this stunning left handed 1964 ES-345. Thanks Alex from Lefty Vintage Guitars. It should be here in a few days, the waiting is the hardest part!
    Last edited by Steve Craw; 11-06-19 at 02:53 AM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Incoming!!! New Vintage Guitar Day!!!

Nice one Steve!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Congrats, Steve!

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Totally awesome! Congrats.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Please reassure me they didn't appoint it as a lefty then drill the ABR for a righty?

Looks gorgeous nonetheless.

Great score Steve.

Right-handed inlays on a left-handed guitar. So wrong but so very, very right! Awesome!

Post a tone & play-ability report when you can!

Congrats! Looks awesome!
    It's upside down and backwards!

Nice! Good to see you lefties get some good models.
    A '64 reissue, I take it? I'm guessing a late model Memphis special order?
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Quote Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
    Nice! Good to see you lefties get some good models.
    A '64 reissue, I take it? I'm guessing a late model Memphis special order?
    Real deal... albeit rare. Clean machine!

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Real deal... albeit rare. Clean machine!
    I presume you mean an original '64? Those reissues are the "real deal" too, trust me!

It looks like the label inside is the same as used on the reissues. But apparently the labels look the same as the originals, too?

An original lefty must be extremely rare? What's the history on them? I don't see many '64 345s period!
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Yes, original to '64 not reissue. Here's detail from Alex if you are interested... Maybe Alex will chime in some point to elaborate.

http://www.leftyvintageguitars.com/1...ely-rare-lefty

1964 Gibson ES-345TDC, Cherry Red, Extremely Rare Lefty!

This is a Left Handed 1964 Gibson ES-345TDC. I have only seen 4 other Left Handed Golden Era(pre-1965) ES-345s: 2 from 1960(I currently own one), 1961, and 1962(which I previously owned). I have not seen any from 1964 – this is probably the only left handed 1964 ES-345.

The original owner had his name inlayed into the original fretboard, which was replaced with an Ebony board at that time. Recently, the guitar was shipped to Lay’s Guitar Shop and the fretboard was replaced with a historically-correct Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard with Double Parallelogram inlays(receipt from Lay’s included in the case). The fingerboard binding and nut were also replaced at the same time. There are side dot markers on both sides, which is historically correct for a vintage left handed Gibson. Lay’s also did a refret and complete setup – the guitar feels and plays great. Dan Shinn does great work at Lay’s!

In addition, the following parts have been replaced; Varitone switch, position indicator plate and control knob, choke coils, tuners, truss-rod cover. Most of the wiring harness has been replaced with cloth-covered Fender-style leads, the selector switch has been re-wired, the cans have been removed, heat shrink has been added on the pickup output leads, the bridge ground lead has been cut from the bridge pickup output lead and re-soldered in a different location on that lead. The bridge is currently oriented for right-handed compensation, leaving visible fill and finish touch-up at the original left-handed locations of the mounting studs, the neck position pickup cover has previously been removed and subsequently re-installed and the position of the pickup magnet has been reversed. There is visible finish overspray on the neck rear and around the fingerboard extension.

Overall, the original finish shows typical deterioration with lacquer checking, small dings, compression marks and edge-chipping (peghead). The metal hardware displays gold-plating loss due to friction rubbing. In other respects, this instrument conforms to the typical specifications of the model for the period in which it was made with double cutaway thinline semi-hollow archtop left-handed body, F-holes, laminated maple top, back, and sides, cherry red finish, elevated multi-ply beveled-edge black plastic left-handed pickguard, two humbucking pickups (both “patent #”) with metal covers and black plastic mounting rings, tune-o-matic bridge with metal string saddles, Maestro vibrato tailpiece with embossed lyre & logo, Varitone switch with gold-colored indicator ring, four black “reflector cap” control knobs, toggle-type pickup selector switch, mahogany neck with adjustable truss-rod, classic “open-book” shape peghead, pearloid Gibson logo and “crown” peghead inlays, multi-ply white & black binding on body top edge, single-ply white binding on body rear edges, and gold-plated metal hardware. The instrument is currently housed in a replacement (Harptone) hard-shell case with black Tolex exterior covering and burgundy plush interior lining.

So while the guitar has changed parts and modifications, it is a factory Left Handed 1964 Gibson ES-345, probably the only one. And it is one of a total of only 5 Left Handed Golden Era Gibson ES-345s known to exist. The guitar has a great look – the ES-345 is the coolest looking ES model IMO. And if you play the Blues, a Cherry ES-345 was the guitar of choice of the great Freddie King. This is an opportunity to own an extremely rare Left handed 1964 Gibson ES-345 at significant savings!

Steve - looking forward to your report, as I am sure you are looking forward to getting it in your hands. And if you stop in to HoG please apprise of any lefty sightings

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    Please reassure me they didn't appoint it as a lefty then drill the ABR for a righty?

Looks gorgeous nonetheless.
    No they didn't. The bridge was relocated for a lefty player who strung the guitar with the bass strings on the bottom. I'll re-set the bridge back to the original location after I get the guitar. Good eye!

Thanks all ! It's getting shipped tomorrow, so it won't be long (it'll just seem like it)

"The original owner had his name inlayed into the original fretboard, which was replaced with an Ebony board at that time. Recently, the guitar was shipped to Lay’s Guitar Shop and the fretboard was replaced with a historically-correct Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard..."

Can you get the original fretboard? That would be awesome.

That is so sweet, I don't have words!

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Yes, original to '64 not reissue. Here's detail from Alex if you are interested... Maybe Alex will chime in some point to elaborate.

http://www.leftyvintageguitars.com/1...ely-rare-lefty

Steve - looking forward to your report, as I am sure you are looking forward to getting it in your hands. And if you stop in to HoG please apprise of any lefty sightings
    Quite interesting, thanks. Extremely cool piece of history. And a very cool model, even lefty aside.
    This is the *exact* model that was a reissue in 2016, the "Gibson ES-345 TDC 1964 Maestro VOS Sixties Cherry". I was excited to be able to get one, supposedly one of 60 made for worldwide distribution.
    So it really is a thrill for me to see an original! What a story to follow!!

Quote Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
    Quite interesting, thanks. Extremely cool piece of history. And a very cool model, even lefty aside.
    This is the *exact* model that was a reissue in 2016, the "Gibson ES-345 TDC 1964 Maestro VOS Sixties Cherry". I was excited to be able to get one, supposedly one of 60 made for worldwide distribution.
    So it really is a thrill for me to see an original! What a story to follow!!

What a beauty! I wish Gibson would have made a lefty reissue of these. But I'm going to be VERY happy to have an original.

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    "The original owner had his name inlayed into the original fretboard, which was replaced with an Ebony board at that time. Recently, the guitar was shipped to Lay’s Guitar Shop and the fretboard was replaced with a historically-correct Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard..."

Can you get the original fretboard? That would be awesome.
    Thanks for asking this question. It inspired me to ask Alex that question. He asked Lays, and it seems that they still have the board, so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Craw View Post
    Thanks for asking this question. It inspired me to ask Alex that question. He asked Lays, and it seems that they still have the board, so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on it.
    Post this pic when/if you can get it. (New wall hanging!)

That'd be very very cool!

Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

I'm drooling over here!
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Thanks, me too! Wednesday can't come soon enough. Funny thing, the tracking says it's near Syracuse, which is less than 90 minutes away, so...... maybe it'll show up tomorrow.

Killer score Steve!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member TomGuitar's Avatar

Very cool. Those have to be almost impossible to find. Beautiful guitar, Steve.

Update: She's arrived a day early, and I'll be picking it up today!

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

I Love this!! Happy NGD! Enjoy that beast of a guitar!!!
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Well, she arrived in perfect shape, Alex did a great job packing her. I haven-t decided what I'm going to do about re-wiring yet. The Vari-tone is sort of cool, but the pots are wired lefty (which I've never liked) plus the issue of stereo to deal with. It's a warm sounding guitar, and I'm looking to rehearsal tonight do drive it a little harder

...the issue of stereo to deal with...
    Here's the solution for stereo Gibsons!

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    I received my ES-Box built by BMF Effects last week.

This is THE solution to the complications of using a stereo guitar with a single input amp. It's as easy as pie to use. You may keep your ES-345s, ES-355s, or any other stereo guitar fully original and use the same amp that you use with your Les Paul, ES-335 etc. In fact, switching from Stereo to mono guitars is effortless.

The box is small, heavy and very sturdy! It has a battery/DC but also works perfectly well passively if you run out of battery power!

I encourage everyone with a stereo Gibson to give this box a whirl! The price is ~$180.

Again, this is THE solution.

Here's the picture of the box and some additional info posted by deytookerjaabs earlier in this same thread.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    It was explained to me that it "fools the guitar into thinking the signal is stereo" so you don't get certain bits of frequency summing/cancelling. Scott can explain it better than I if you shoot him an email, nice guy, quick shipping, great service, etc. I've used it again the past few days and oh I'm so glad I bought it, haha. The mono/stereo switch is for if you're plugging in the stereo guitar with TRS cable then if you want to switch to a regular guitar you can.
    Link to thread: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...solution/page2

So, as an experiment, I bought a stereo "Y" cable. I plugged into the two channels of my Deluxe Reverb, and found that the stereo is actually VERY cool. Using the EQ'ing of the separate channels, I can custom tailor each pickup, rather than trying to get a compromised sound from one set of tone controls that are set to try and sound good on both pickups. I'm sold ! I will not be re-wiring this guitar anytime soon.

So, as an experiment, I bought a stereo "Y" cable. I plugged into the two channels of my Deluxe Reverb, and found that the stereo is actually VERY cool. Using the EQ'ing of the separate channels, I can custom tailor each pickup, rather than trying to get a compromised sound from one set of tone controls that are set to try and sound good on both pickups. I'm sold ! I will not be re-wiring this guitar anytime soon.
    You can try plugging the stereo-Y cable into one channel and experiencing the funk of the out of phase sound - see reverb channel of the Fender below. (Out of phase should always be said as if it were "Pigs in Space!" from the Muppets.)

Just wiggle a volume knob a tiny bit to reduce the "out of phase!" sound. I'll hook up two wah pedals with the stereo-Y. Put one wah all the way back and roll the corresponding tone knob all the way back for an extreme version of 'woman tone.' What fun!

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful and exciting to see. That guitar wears its age beautifully. I hope you get the fretboard. I am surprised that the shop did not include it automatically. I know there's no law requiring all parts to stay with the original guitar, but that should be the custom, particularly at this level of sale. Congratulations on a really fabulous guitar.

Congrats Steve! That is a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Beautiful and exciting to see. That guitar wears its age beautifully. I hope you get the fretboard. I am surprised that the shop did not include it automatically. I know there's no law requiring all parts to stay with the original guitar, but that should be the custom, particularly at this level of sale. Congratulations on a really fabulous guitar.
    Lay's has it and will shipping it to me this week.

Lays still had the fingerboard, and sent it to me!
    Last edited by Steve Craw; 09-26-19 at 03:03 AM.

Suitable for framing!

Lays still had the fingerboard, and sent it to me!
    This
    Is
    Awesome

...also, are those bass frets? They look enormous!

Fretboard visible in video montage here -

Courtesy of -
    http://www.stlmusicyesterdays.com/Unknown.htm

Holy crap, JB!! Thanks for finding that! I had googled and come up empty.

Holy crap, JB!! Thanks for finding that! I had googled and come up empty.
    No problem, Steve. Now you have some provenance, to become keeper of a legacy.

Cool band... it seems. Maybe they're more known than "Unknown" now at least to me.

I particularly liked their Byrds cover. Ah, what a great Gene tune!