• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAD! Dr. Z Cure

Don

I went into a music store to check out the Mesa Fillmore 25 and 50 to see if I'd consider selling a couple of amps to cover the cost. The 25 sounded good and was very portable. The 50 sounded better but wasn't as portable.

Then I tried this! A Dr. Z Cure. It's only 15 watts, but I think it's louder than the Fillmore 25 (which I was able to fully crank and be very comfortable sitting next to- my Budda Twinmaster is much louder). It sounds and feels like a Fender brownface and tweed crossed with a touch of Vox and Marshall. It sounds awesome with a Telecaster and makes my Strat's bridge pickup sound fat. It's a more basic amp than the Mesas and is very responsive to touch.

For tubes it has 2x6V6, 2x12AX7, 1x12AT7 and a 5AR4. 1x12" speaker. The Master is a pre-phase inverter master, the Level is a post-phase inverter master. Set the texture of the gain with the Volume and the Master and set how loud it is with the Level. It sounds very good at low levels and awesome cranked. It's probably the most flexible amp I've played in that respect.

It includes a foot switch to bypass the tone stack with a potentiometer on it so you can set how much you're bypassing the tone stack. It can go from unity, to adding a little mids, to getting very loud.

I tried it with some pedals last night. Reverb in the FX loop was great. Tremolo in the loop wasn't- it added distortion. Drive pedals in front of the amp are great! It loves fuzz!

I like my amp to always be just a little bit dirty sounding and this amp is inspiring to play that way.

It's 19-1/4" x 19-1/2' x 10-1/2" and 33 pounds. Very portable. I could take it anywhere.

48021655191_5318f17b35_b.jpg

48021656146_d276309190_b.jpg

latestarter

Thanks for the rundown. Might look at one - need a gig backup for the Tupelo.

latestarter

What is the speaker out ohms wise? It looks like there's 8 ohms only?

Don

What is the speaker out ohms wise? It looks like there's 8 ohms only?

You are correct, 8 ohms only. This is a fairly stripped down American style amp. It has a "hand wound" Triad OT. I don't know what the correct hookup for an extension cab would be.

Don

Probably another 8ohm off that ext cab output.

Yes. That appears to be the case. From the manual-

"13. External Speaker Jack: Plug in an 8 Ohm external speaker here. Wired in parallel for a 4 Ohm total load.

14. Internal Speaker Jack: Plug in supplied 8 Ohm Z12 speaker in here. Always have a speaker plugged into the amp when it is powered on. Always match a 8 Ohm speaker with this output jack. This will allow the amp to sound its best and avoid damage."

sonar

I somehow missed this NAD. Congrats Don!

Has the DR. Z replaced your gig amp(s)?

Señor Verde

Congrats! I just got a Cure in a trade and gigged it Saturday. I like it a lot.