• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What's going on with my early 70s sunburst Deluxe?

Rhoadizzle

I bought this guitar back very cheap in 2004 because I HAD to have a cherry LP, but never really bonded with it. I've always liked that it's extremely well worn, but now that I'm in the process of shining this turd up to see if there's a connection, I have some questions for people more knowledgeable than I. I know there's very little originality here, so I just need to see if I'm going to be doing any disservice to her if I refinish the guitar.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what color this guitar originally could've been, and possibly tell what year she is? I've yet to see a Norlin sunburst that had a plain back, so there's one red flag. There was a break at the neck and body, and there's some respray red to cover the repair. It doesn't look like the serial number has been tampered with, so I'm doubting it was a full respray. The back does appear more reddish than dark or brown, if that helps determine original color. Sandwich body, 3 piece top/3 piece neck, no B or O cuts in Gibson, made in USA stamp. Can't read pot codes (some have been changed), and I can get a better tenon picture tonight. Original pickups are obviously gone, and freddie krueger did the hack job to change to humbuckers.

Is there anything else I can provide to help identify things better? Thank you guys.

https://imgur.com/a/LxCLkV8

AJCR

I think that is a 71, looking at the logo shape.

It could well have been goldtop. But the burst is about the typical clownburst type of the era, so has a possibility of being original.

Progrocker111

Definitely early 71 one with that serial number, headstock shape and logo type. :dude:

Rhoadizzle

Thanks a ton guys.

I haven't seen any sunburst norlins without matching sunburst back and neck. Is it pretty likely that it's the original finish? I dont like the finish so much that it may not matter, but I can definitely justify this either way :rofl

Elmore

Wow. I have its twin. My serial number also starts with 971. 1971 is what I believe as well. Bright heavy Les Paul that sounds great with Duncan Antiquities. Best Les Paul I have played for country. You have one fine guitar. And it has a mahogany neck. And particularly nice inlays on the neck. Mine has reflector knobs that are original. And Sprague caps.

Last edited:

Rhoadizzle

Wow. I have its twin. My serial number also starts with 971. 1971 is what I believe as well. Bright heavy Les Paul that sounds great with Duncan Antiquities. Best Les Paul I have played for country. You have one fine guitar. And it has a mahogany neck. And particularly nice inlays on the neck. Mine has reflector knobs that are original. And Sprague caps.

That's amazing about the serial number! Long lost cousins...love the antiquities, too. That's what I'm planning on for mine.