• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Conversion Refinish

jimmi

I think I liked it before - but it looks great now! Sometimes that ‘70s/‘80s ‘Burst conversion look is very cool. It’s never historically accurate, but it has a mysterious vibe that often appeals to me. That being said, I agree with the comment “it looks like it can breathe again.” Well done!

Has the sound changed in any way? Is it still the same guitar, so to speak? Has the playability been affected?

I agree, I thought it looked better before, but maybe it's just the original camera angles that accentuated the appearance of the flames... lol!

So I get what both of you are saying and I have another conversion (actually the first vintage guitar I ever owned that I bought from a customer while working at a music store when I was a teenager) that was converted in the 60s. I would never think of refinishing it....but while not correct, it has a vintage looking and feeling finish that doesn't hide the wood and feels like a vintage finish. The finish on this one was so much thicker and murkier. You could see the flames when hit with the right light but really had to look for the grain etc. Here are is a picture similar to one I took of it next to an amp (as a bonus, one of my daughter's toys in one of the shots). THe before picture is really in better light and you can't really see the wood very well at all. That is pretty representative of how it looked if the light didnt hit it just right.

15264620195_5436dd9bc3_z.jpg

47988040138_049775f522_z.jpg

Here is my first conversion. It was one of my main guitars when I was younger and still regularly gigging in Nashville. Its finish isn't "correct" but has a lot of mojo and just has the look and doesn't need anything....also a great sounding guitar with its own tone. I can always tell if I am playing it when I hear recordings from 30 years ago.

16505231712_af873e8488_z.jpg

8733152700_6b550336f0_z.jpg

The two side by side for comparison:

47988041888_9e53ef4b1a_z.jpg

Last edited:

jimmi

Great job, Love the color. I'm curious also, did the tone change????

I think I liked it before - but it looks great now! Sometimes that ‘70s/‘80s ‘Burst conversion look is very cool. It’s never historically accurate, but it has a mysterious vibe that often appeals to me. That being said, I agree with the comment “it looks like it can breathe again.” Well done!

Has the sound changed in any way? Is it still the same guitar, so to speak? Has the playability been affected?

Acoustically? yes. It is a bit louder and brighter. A little more like my first conversion which has a very thin sunk in finish. Through the amp I am not sure yet exactly how much difference it has made as the pickup adjustment isnt right since they have been out and back in the guitar (I am kind of picky in how I like to do this and it takes a while for me to get it like I want it) and I havent had an opportunity to crank it yet with the wife and kids home every day during the summer. So far, I think it is probably a bit brighter there as well.

Another professional picture:

47994598127_0d5d956d4d_z.jpg

jimmi

a few more pictures showing the change in color with lighting which ended up very close to vintage. You can clearly see the wood and flame better than it was......Finish also black lights. Keep that in mind when buying vintage. Black light isnt always a good tell.

48115786516_772f03263b.jpg

48115877392_3a38fa9da6.jpg

48115876297_978ca105a5.jpg

jimmi

That looks glorious James :salude
Thanks Yukki. Wish I could say I did the work. I picked the general look and Tom did the rest. This is the guitar I bought out of Philadelphia several years ago I think you looked at also. Last thing I am doing to it besides playing it. If I can get the kids and wife out of the house long enough, I will post a clip with it cranked through a Marshall or old Ga-20 I have.

MapleFlame

Love it, thanks for sharing. I'm sure it opened up with a thinner finish.