• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Boutique PUs

Axis39

I am not one to chase a particular player's tone these days. Haven't been for a number of years.

That being said... LOL . A few years ago I picked up an LP that had 490/498 pickups in it. I struggled for months, raising, lowering, bringing up pole pieces, screwing them back down, etc. They were almost there, but I never really got a good balance.. Neck sounds good, bridge is too brittle, bridge sounds good, neck is too dark... On and on.

Finally, I decided to get serious, because I really loved the guitar. I read around, checked prices and figured out what I could and couldn't afford. I settled on David Plummer and his Zhangbucker pickups. I had an idea of what I wanted, but wen tin open minded as I could be. David and I exchanged a bunch fo emails, I sent him examples of what I wanted the guitar to sound like. He sent me some specs, I admitted total ignoramity and let him build them.

I popped them in and he had nailed the tone I had heard in my head and described to him. I literally could not be any happier with that guitar and those pickups!

Are OX4s, Throbaks, Duncans, Dimarzios, Lollars any better or worse? No clue. But, I will say the price I paid and the results I got were beyond my expectations and I have gone back to David for a couple other pickups for other guitars since and been just as happy.

El Gringo

I really like my Wagner pickups. Jim is a great guy and is determined to build pickups that deliver exceptional touch, tone and that magic that happens with pickups made musical, primarly musical.

My primary interest is as a musician, not a historian or replica antiques curator. I've owned many paf guitars and many more pafs. I know very well how they sound and respond musically. I've compared them with many clones including Gibsons various versions from 93 to now.

Most fall into two groups, physically and musically. Physically you have meticulously built clones. Near exact replicas made in minute detail. Some in multiple versions with various spec criteria made to emulate historic variations or tonal variations existing in vintage pafs. Some do. Most really, but I have tried much hyped clones that looked the part but IMO, did not capture the sonics.

Others try to build a pickup that is a sonic clone, first and formost. The more talented winders nail it. Might not have maple spacers from the same log, or L marks on the legs but they sound right, exact in minute detail. Many don't. Overwound, mid heavy flat tone or underwound weak thin tone. Great ones can be found for little dough.

I've found accurate sounding paf type pickups of both types. Don't let vintage obsessed spec fanatic 50's time trippers fool you that only sand cast mystery magnets, secret stash long lost wire or handwound coils is the only way to get the tone, 'cause it ain't so.

Gibsons various versions mostly get it right. I have favorites of course, but on the whole they are very good paf type pickups, proven in many listening tests.

So if historical accuracy is important, and it is a very valid concern for many, do homework and first, learn everything you can, then compare specs. A few should stand out for your wants/needs. If you also want accurate paf, or specific varient tone, you need personal quality time with the real deal. Otherwise you cannot assess the accuracy of tone. Most good winders will guide you and help you choose a version, (if offered), that suits your needs.

Beware the winders that won't answer questions or communicate.

Then if you can compare the feel, touch, dynamics and tone. Unlike a previous post, comparisons at the "exact same amp settings", prove nothing. If pickups were all exactly the same then you'd not need to compare. This is the same for guitars. Every pickup interfaces differently in an amp. Dialing in a pickup for best tone can not only define the pickups tone but often reveals better amp voice.

Basicly the non clone paf type is judged by tone alone. Same method. Research, choose, & compare.

Either way you end up with what works best for your needs, which trumps all.

Big Al , this has to be your best post ever !!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Gringo

Whilst I agree with what brother Holgar has said, I would say that you can USUALLY make a guitar sound great if you have the patience, time and the money to try various pickups until you get the right ones.

Start with pots and caps though. They are a most important step.

I have also seen a few that sounded great through some amps and crap through others.

And some I couldn't make great that sounded great with the proper 'hands' of a master.

And I ain't one.

But I'll settle with what I have and experimentation oot the wazoo.

Great Post and very good points !