• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can a damaged humbucker still provide an output but no reading?

2002standardmat

I've never heard a pickup with no continuity make sounds.

Are you sure your meter is set to the right range? Plugged in too the right terminals on the meter?

Checked, double checked and triple checked - in and out of circuit and verified the meter.

Capt Brad

[FONT=&quot]~Calling all...Roy Buchanan ~ fans... Please Read:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My LIFETIME GOAL, was to actually make a bridge pickup identical in every way to Roy Buchanan's 53 Tele he nicknamed Nancy,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The pickup in his Nancy never would give up a ohm reading.. This baffled us for years and years... But it’s not uncommon for a pickup to fail, and suddenly lose its entire bass... I used to get calls about pickups doing that in the field and we would offer replacements.. The common complaint was this: "all the bass is gone and now it sounds treble-y ~ and now I can’t get any ohm readings ~ yet it’s still working, but it’s a total treble bomb"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2007 when I was allowed to play Nancy and go "under her hood" and take readings..etc.. No ohm reading from bridge.. So I recorded some clips www.roybuchanan.org click on :( Music)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That’s me testing Nancy with the owner because he thought something was wrong and it needed fixed.. LOL.... BTW.. Nancy's Christy Auction House value is currently at $600K the majority of the interest in obtaining her is that sound of hers.. Just listen to my clip.. she was unique.. There’s no way to debunk that! It’s because of that failing pickup, and the neck was nicely spec-ed from the factory.[/FONT]

Shakey

~Calling all...Roy Buchanan ~ fans... Please Read:

My LIFETIME GOAL, was to actually make a bridge pickup identical in every way to Roy Buchanan's 53 Tele he nicknamed Nancy,
The pickup in his Nancy never would give up a ohm reading.. This baffled us for years and years... But it’s not uncommon for a pickup to fail, and suddenly lose its entire bass... I used to get calls about pickups doing that in the field and we would offer replacements.. The common complaint was this: "all the bass is gone and now it sounds treble-y ~ and now I can’t get any ohm readings ~ yet it’s still working, but it’s a total treble bomb"

2007 when I was allowed to play Nancy and go "under her hood" and take readings..etc.. No ohm reading from bridge.. So I recorded some clips www.roybuchanan.org click on :( Music)
That’s me testing Nancy with the owner because he thought something was wrong and it needed fixed.. LOL.... BTW.. Nancy's Christy Auction House value is currently at $600K the majority of the interest in obtaining her is that sound of hers.. Just listen to my clip.. she was unique.. There’s no way to debunk that! It’s because of that failing pickup, and the neck was nicely spec-ed from the factory.

I've always wondered what the reason for this was, but I've never been able to find anything on what the actual cause was....