• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Very cool reference material - vintage Gibson electronics, Kluson and Grover tuners!

MikeSlub

Administrator

agogetr

oh ya. i live for this stuff. grovers are a bit of a mystery.. until now! i have a couple paf sets new in the box. with everyone converting the grover upgrade(yes upgrade) on old les pauls back to klusons i suppose their are drawers full of these sitting waiting for me to corner the market on melody makers and juice things up

TB24

Our very own Rick Norman has provided the attached reference materials for all of you vintage Gibson fans - amazing detail, only available here on the LPF! Thanks Rick! :dude:

Gibson Vintage Electrical Components: http://www.rickn-guitars.com/electri...ectricals.html

Gibson Vintage Kluson Tuners: http://www.rickn-guitars.com/tuners/kluson_ref.html

Gibson Vintage Grover Tuners: http://www.rickn-guitars.com/tuners/grover_ref.html

very cool references. Thanks for posting!

GRPNR1P

Thank you for posting this, I have been wanting to find more info on the 50's wiring - this is more than i hoped for!

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Really cool reference docs, many thanks for sharing Rick. :salude

irishbog

Here's a couple of shots of the inside of a guitar I got recently - are these caps typical of mid 50s?

JGj38hB.jpg

yWlUHxi.jpg

ominkilala

oh ya. i live for this stuff. grovers are a bit of a mystery.. until now! i have a couple paf sets new in the box. with everyone converting the grover upgrade(yes upgrade) on old les pauls back to klusons i suppose their are drawers full of these sitting waiting for me to corner the market on melody makers and juice things up Omegle
I am enjoying it.

Aloha_Ark

Here's a couple of shots of the inside of a guitar I got recently - are these caps typical of mid 50s?

JGj38hB.jpg
I would say yes, even though I do not own every example made in the 50's. Gibson ordered caps from numerous vendors. Sprague was the main supplier, but I've seen Astron and other brands. The fact that these are for a working voltage of 400 VDC is a sign that they were made in the vacuum tube era. Solder joints are nice and clean on your guitar.
CDE has a long history. In 1987, they made the Star Wars capacitor, with very high storage capacity (and low leakage specs).

Subliminal lanimilbuS

JGj38hB.jpg

yWlUHxi.jpg
I realize it has been a while since you asked this, but I see you didn't receive a definitive answer so thought I would reply. Gibson used those sometimes during the end of the grey tigers and the beginnings of the bumble bee. 1954 to 1956 region. Seen them in a later 50's Gibson once too. IMO they are the best capacitor to find in a vintage Gibson. They usually always read bang on to 0.022uf even after all of these years. I imagine that Custom is a really sweet sounding guitar. If you are still in this forum do you still have the guitar?