• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A Phil Rudd thread.

SpencerD

I sent myself on a mission that has taken a while. And a little bit difficult also for a dude like me (us) guitar guys....:laugh2: -- edit and gals

I have been listening and paying attention to the drums in the AC/DC band rather seriously ---- Phil Rudd may certainly possibly maybe be the best rock and roll drummer of all time. You ain't gonna hear cymbal crashes or snare rolls when that guy plays. Timing like a metronome man.

Cliff joining up changed the whole dynamic of that band (IMHO and all that) --- Cliffs right hand and Phils right foot are so tight it's like they're the same person!

Turn up Powerage --- yeah that's right :peace2

Last edited:

brandtkronholm

Phil Rudd may certainly possibly maybe be the best rock and roll drummer of all time.

No. Just no.

Phil Rudd is a fine drummer...

Bonham is the only answer.

GettyImages-77186814_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqCjWi45DX1ptcMBvOy6PVuURq-7ZVVvehvytxIsJeJIc.jpg

latestarter

Phil is/was a great drummer. He also has fine taste in cars and provided good pickings for a friend of mine in what would otherwise be a relatively small market here.

jrgtr42

Depends what you're looking for. That solid backbeat, no thrills, I won't argue too much with Phil, but I'd give that title to Charlie Watts.
For flashy drummers, Bonzo, Moony, Peart...
then somewhere in the middle, Ringo, Larry Mullen Jr... could probably come up with more.

brandtkronholm

Love zep but Phil Rud is a guitar players dream ! , I don't want a drummer who steals my limelight . :spabout

Yup, that’s how good Bonham is. He steals the limelight (Peart-pun?) from Jimmy Page.

Don’t get me wrong, Rudd is great.

Here’s a question, I think it’s a matter of taste, but how do you feel about a rhythm section with bass and kick drum in sync like Zep, Meters, P-Funk (and related), Rush, RHCPs, etc. vs a melodic rhythm section like the Beatles, AC/DC, ABB, GnR, etc? (YMMV, of course.) (I’m more into the former over the latter but both are terrific musically.)

SpencerD

Good question brandt.

IMHO and all that --- If the drums sound bad to me,the whole thing sounds bad. Doesn't matter which 'type' or 'style' of music,if the drums suck.....well the foundation is crumbling and all you can do is try to save some shit that can't be saved.Or something.:yah:dude::peace2

0 2339

Good question brandt.

IMHO and all that --- If the drums sound bad to me,the whole thing sounds bad. Doesn't matter which 'type' or 'style' of music,if the drums suck.....well the foundation is crumbling and all you can do is try to save some shit that can't be saved.Or something.:yah:dude::peace2

100% agreed! same goes for every other member of a band imho. another bummer is when you can barely hear any bass playing on a record - drives me nuts...

not to hijack the thread, but i don't see enough mention of this gentleman behind the drums when it comes to the greats:

his ability to melt complex, jazzy licks with probably the heaviest tunes this world has ever witnessed while never overplaying and serving the song every fn time is second to none in my book... bill ward smokes everything and everybody imho (as does geezer, toni and ozzy) : D

cool thread

mdubya

100% agreed! same goes for every other member of a band imho. another bummer is when you can barely hear any bass playing on a record - drives me nuts...

not to hijack the thread, but i don't see enough mention of this gentleman behind the drums when it comes to the greats:

his ability to melt complex, jazzy licks with probably the heaviest tunes this world has ever witnessed while never overplaying and serving the song every fn time is second to none in my book... bill ward smokes everything and everybody imho (as does geezer, toni and ozzy) : D

cool thread

Agree, Bill Ward is awesome!

I like Jim Fox from The James Gang and Ginger and Mitch Mitchell, too. All those guys would be my kind of drummer.

brandtkronholm

...his ability to melt complex, jazzy licks with probably the heaviest tunes this world has ever witnessed while never overplaying and serving the song every fn time is second to none in my book...

cool thread

You’ve accurately described Mitch Mitchell here.

Ward and Butler made a fun and deep rhythm section for sure.

Pat Boyack

....vs a melodic rhythm section like the Beatles, AC/DC, ABB, GnR, etc? (YMMV, of course.) (I’m more into the former over the latter but both are terrific musically.)

Maybe I'm missing something but with AC/DC it's all about the kick/bass being locked together.

brandtkronholm

Here's a nice read about Bonham. It's still a great article even if you're not a musician! The author gets pretty deep and supplies some serious insight into Bonham.

https://drummagazine.com/10-ways-to-sound-like-john-bonham/

The author uses phrases like "There’s no way to notate it and it can be difficult to express, but technically speaking, this elusive rhythmic value sits right in between the second eighth-note of a beat and the third note of an eighth-note triplet in that same beat (see Ex. 2a)" which are just fun to read - including some proper musical notation!

brandtkronholm

Maybe I'm missing something but with AC/DC it's all about the kick/bass being locked together.

One of my favorite AC/DC tunes is "Rock and Roll ain't Noise Pollution" - which might be an example of the melodic rhythm section I'm talking about. Indeed, they're locked in and that fat grove is as thick as tar but it's not syncopated like James Brown. But then, it doesn't have to be. The song doesn't need it. Rudd's drumming is absolutely perfect. "Whole Lotta Rosie" (another classic!) might also be described the same way.

I've recently acquired some live AC/CD (radio broadcasts from the '70s & '80s) and I'm delighted with their live performances. What a great band!

S. Cane

I don't think any drummer I've seen can best Bonham. Never seen anyon attack a snare drum like he did.