• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Trade my Supro for a Vox?

Roy E. Munson

First off I am mostly a drummer, but have some cool guitar stuff that I have collected to just toy with. I have a Supro Titan that I think is excellent condition. Its 50 watts. Extremely loud. The tremolo feature does not work at the moment (not sure what happend?). Its a pretty cool amp. I think it might be a bit much for basement jamming, but I like that it can get over the drums when I have a buddy over that knows what they are doing. Put it on craigslist to just get some feelers as to what I might be offered as trades. I have a guy offering a Vox AC15c2. Just wanted to know what you guys thought? They dont make the Titan anymore. Should I keep it or make a move? Thoughts? Thank you! For what it matters I enjoy rock music. Mostly the old stuff. Beatles, Zepp, Doors, Jack White, Willie, Sturgill, Stapleton or Sabbath/anything along those lines.

mdubya

With zero experience with either, I'd keep the Supro.

zacknorton

Is the supro a recent version?

If it is I’d make that trade in a minute.

Vintage supro’s are totally interesting sounding and worth fixing etc.
New ones?

I couldn’t unload the new supro I owned fast enough. Noisy mushy and frustrating.
My old valco & supro’s they gig and stick around.

LeonC

Your Supro is probably worth 600 - 700 used (trem problem is probably the oscillator tube; least dependable things about most new amps is the tubes). The Vox is probably worth 400-600.

The AC2 will plenty loud too. Not a LOT quieter than the Supro. Probably sounds rather different. The AC2s I've heard were ver mid-rangy (in a good way). I'm not really hip to this new Supro model. But what I read is -- 2x6L6 - 1x10" - cathode biased - SS rectified...but I don't really know how it's voiced.

Roy E. Munson

The amp is like new. Low serial # (if that means anything? I heard it does.). Its just super loud. If I play it at low volume in my basement seems like I hear a lot of buzzes and high pitch rings. Again, Im not sure if thats normal or if this amp is need of repairs? I love the look of it. I just want something that I can play with a drum kit and hear over them. I had a fender blues jr, vox ac10, and a fender bassbreaker. All great amps. None of them loud enough to jam with. Maybe best to keep the Supro and take it in for a tuneup? Also.....since they dont make it anymore any chance it will gain value in a few years?

LeonC

No, IMO, mass-produced amps like this will not be going up in value anytime soon...probably never. Sounds like it's not working well for you. No, buzzes and high pitched rings are not normal for any amp that's functioning properly ;). From the way you describe it, yeah, it probably needs a trip to the amp doctor. Or you could just sell it locally--if some comes by, plays it and likes it, boom--problem gone.

Perhaps you can get a 30-day try out from your local GC on the Vox AC20 and see if it's right for you?

TM1

One of the bands I play in rehearses at a place that has about 10 of the new Supro's. Nobody uses them cause they just don't sound good. The AC15C2 is o.k. and probably sounds much better than the Supro even though it's barely 15 watts clean(more like 10-12). I've upgraded/modded alot of the Chinese made Vox amps over the years. They can be made to sound great by replacing the output tranny, adding a choke tranny and replacing all the components in the signal path. I've done hundreds of Vox amps (new and vintage) since 1998. There's always someone who wants a Vox if you ever decide to sell it. Because it's a "Cathode Biased" output section, it sounds louder than say a Fender Deluxe Rev. The Celestion Alnico Blue also helps with volume and more importantly, Tone!

BurstWurst

Wants to trade new Supro for a recent Vox......... Whew, the new Supro must sound really bad! Actually, I've played a new Supro, zero joy. Owned a Chinese AC15 for about 15 minutes.

The Shifter

Those Supros are dogs. Yuk. I always die a little inside when I see them in the rental backline.