• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

86 Les Paul Custom too dark - brighten? or embrace the darkness?

lifebreath

* I think most of the noticeable improvement is probably due to the wiring harness. I measured the original, old pots removed from the guitar and the tone pots were 85k & 86k. The volume pots were 261k and 349k. In hindsight, I believe this was almost entirely the cause for the dark sound.

This, especially the 100k tone pots, which allow a lot of treble loss off the bat. Figure its like having your 500k tone knob turned down to about 4. I just posted about my experience rewiring my recently acquired '83 Custom. It had 300K (measured 350) volume pots and 100k tone pots. It was definitely dark and wooly. I put in 500k pots, which actually were too much for the volume control, as they boosted the resonant peak amplitude to the point of sounding shrill. I went back to 300k on the volume and 500k tone. The 500k tone pots made all the difference.

Here's my post, for anyone interested: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?212302-Tim-Shaw-humbuckers-500K-pots-too-shrill