• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Style or comfort?

allmanjoy

Hi all! I’m new to the forum and look forward to being apart of this community! I’ve been a Fender player for years, but through trying out Gibson’s at music stores I’ve discovered that Gibson’s feel much more comfortable in my hands. I’ve always loved the look of Les Pauls, but their heaviness is something that bothers me. I’ve connected very well with SG’s In the past, but I don’t care for the look as much. My question is what is more important? How comfortable a guitar is or the aesthetic look? Obviously sound is most important, but I enjoy the sound of both guitars. I’d appreciate some opinions!

johnreardon

Hi and welcome to this place.

For me, sound and playability are the only things that really matter. Playability I think is what you mean by comfortable.

Yes LPs can be heavy and if you are playing a couple of hours a gig, can test your back. But there are some that are lighter. I currently have 6 LPs and I think lightest is about 8.75 lbs and heaviest around 11. I also have a bad back, but if I can manage to get through a gig at the age of 73, I'm sure others can do.

I used to have a couple of SGs and whilst great guitars, the neck heaviness bothered me, so sold them.

It's really only you that can make a decision on which to go for, so good luck.

thinlizzy1

I believe in comfort. I prefer a heavier guitar because I have played for a long time and they all use to be heavy. My Fender even weights 9 pounds!

Big Al

There are plenty of lightweight or lightweight options for Les Pauls, just like the Fender Heavyweights. Pick n choose.

Fashion? That's up to you to decide.