• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jeff & EC on stage in original Yardbirds

bramley

Can anyone confirm the year and what Eric's playing ?

PJb2ckJ.jpg

mistersnappy

This photo was in a Clapton book from the mid-1990s. Pretty sure he was still with Mayall and thus has the Beano. Marquee Club. Looks like he's wearing that jacket seen on McVie on the Beano cover.

goldtop0

I think this pic was taken at some stage in '65 before EC and others went to Greece so pre Sept '65 around June to August of that year.

CatManDoo88

I think this pic was taken at some stage in '65 before EC and others went to Greece so pre Sept '65 around June to August of that year.

According to Hjort's Strange Brew book, it was May 3, 1966. Beck didn't buy his LP until February 1966 and you can see the exposed bobbins on Clapton's Beano LP (black bridge, white neck) in the pic, which means it was after the return from Greece.

goldtop0

According to Hjort's Strange Brew book, it was May 3, 1966. Beck didn't buy his LP until February 1966 and you can see the exposed bobbins on Clapton's Beano LP (black bridge, white neck) in the pic, which means it was after the return from Greece.

Yep you're right with that, got the book here and that is as it's stated.
It was his mo that got me and I thought back to his early days with the Bluesbreakers and a pic in a tartan shirt with McVie........didn't even look at the LP and bobbins.

Last edited:

CatManDoo88

Yep you're right with that, got the book here and that is as it's stated.
It was his mo that got me and I thought back to his early days with the Bluesbreakers and a pic in a tartan shirt with McVie........didn't even look at the LP and bobbins.

No worries. The moustache is a throw off for sure. It had me thinking 1965 as well. I just had the benefit of reading the book very recently, so I had a good recollection of where to find the note on the jam. One thing I noticed looking through the photos is that Clapton's moustache in 1965 was rather thin and pencil like, but became much bushier 1966 forward. I don't know if it was a deliberate styling choice or if his facial hair was just naturally filling in more, but it is a difference I noticed.

goldtop0

No worries. The moustache is a throw off for sure. It had me thinking 1965 as well. I just had the benefit of reading the book very recently, so I had a good recollection of where to find the note on the jam. One thing I noticed looking through the photos is that Clapton's moustache in 1965 was rather thin and pencil like, but became much bushier 1966 forward. I don't know if it was a deliberate styling choice or if his facial hair was just naturally filling in more, but it is a difference I noticed.

And the 'mutton chops' also, definitely the Beano album period. Strange Brew's a very good book in that regard, lord knows where Chris got all that detailed info from.

Driver8

My brother moved down to London around this time & said he saw Beck & Clapton share the stage on a couple of occasions, once at the Cooks Ferry Inn Walthamstow.

mistersnappy

And the 'mutton chops' also, definitely the Beano album period. Strange Brew's a very good book in that regard, lord knows where Chris got all that detailed info from.

It is a fantastic book. Read it a couple times thru. Pretty amazing detail.