• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'71 LP Deluxe strange feature .

roxrob

I have seen those types of rings or whatever they are called before on Hollowbody Gibson's and was always perplexed by them and why they are there in the first place . If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most interested ?

I always understood that "goof rings" were used to cover some finish chipping around the pickup routs. Have seen them on tailpiece stud holes too though. Seem to mostly appear on early 70s deluxes with Mini Humbuckers but I have seen them on some of the late 60s reissues with P90s as well.

Horrid things held on with some little nails!!!

Regards

Rob

Progrocker111

They first really appeared on late 71s. Mostly visible on 73s-75s. Interesting is, that on all i have had with them, there were really no visible flaws under them. Why they used them is really a mystery... :hmm