The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Opinion on '68 Les Paul Custom please?

I've posted a thread about a '68 standard, but I also found this nice '68 Custom.
    It should be all original, except the '73 humbuckers. The originals should be available, but I have no picture yet.

Re: Opinion on '68 Les Paul Custom please?

Between the two, I'd definitely take the Standard Goldtop

I've had 3 '68/69 Customs over the last 48 years. I sold my last one last year. Fun guitars but ultimately, I don't miss them. The second one I had was a fantastic guitar; kept it for about 20 years. The last one I owned seemed to have a tone in the ebony that couldn't be dialed out. Ultimately, I prefer rosewood.

I had one original '68 Standard too, that was back in the 70s. Fantastic guitar. Loved the feel and sound but the pickups were too noisy for live use back them. Did love the sound though...
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Thanks for the opinions. I have a sweet spot for those Customs. But it's priced pretty high.
    Any comments on originality?

Have you researched this on the site late60sLesPauls.com?

You should visit that site and do some research there. You’ll want to get a good look inside the control cavity too.
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyLover View Post
    Thanks for the opinions. I have a sweet spot for those Customs. But it's priced pretty high.
    Any comments on originality?
    Hi GibbyLover, Serial number #860 371 ? Thanks

That Custom looks very nice. Am I seeing the original frets on it? If so, unless you're a jazz player you will likely want to replace the frets, and to have it done right can be a little pricey. The neck will be a bit smaller than the large neck of the Goldtop. I liken mine to that of a '59 Standard, whereas the neck on the Goldtop is usually quite beefy.

I also have a soft spot for the Custom, and also notice my '69 is a very bright guitar, too. For many years I had a Duncan JB in the bridge and it worked quite well with it, but I ultimately went back to something with less output again. Still searching for the right pickup though.

Yes, the '68 Goldtops run much more than the Customs, especially the early batch with the crown headstock inlay. A different beast altogether with the P90's, so that should be taken into account. Either one would be a great guitar, so keep us in the loop!
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Les Paul Forum Member Reno_1ted's Avatar

Not a 1968. No dot on the i immediately puts it 1969. Serial, if it is 88xxxx, puts it late 1969. Its hard to tell from the photos but it should be / may well be a 3 piece neck model.

None of which makes it a bad guitar. All of which should absolutely be reflected in the listing and the price. Especially with the pickups. As someone else has said, you want to see in the cavity and be able to see the pot-codes.

Do a thorough read of the Late 60s Les Paul website before you think about pulling the trigger on a guitar from this era. Many are wrongly listed to try and push the value up.
    56/59 LP Standard (Conversion)
    68 Les Paul Standard (conversion)
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

Thanks for all the input. I'm not ready yet to buy a guitar like that. Seems I need to get my knowledge to point.

Greetz

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Its mid to late 69 with this serial, nylon saddles on ABR and no dot over i. Should have three piece neck and transitional tenon. These are just prior to volute and pancaked bodies Norlin era. My favourite Customs.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member Reno_1ted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Its mid to late 69 with this serial, nylon saddles on ABR and no dot over i. Should have three piece neck and transitional tenon. These are just prior to volute and pancaked bodies Norlin era. My favourite Customs.
    Jesus Prog, I didn't think your avatar could get any weirder !
    56/59 LP Standard (Conversion)
    68 Les Paul Standard (conversion)
    69 Les Paul Standard
    94 LP Standard
    73 SG Standard
    91 Explorer

Progrocker111 , if you live in the same small country of good beer = Belgium (not sure about the women though), then it's for sale not too far from here.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    +1, and +1 Reno

I've got 852622 and it is a mid/late 69 (August) with the same specs as listed above. ''Transitional'' tenon (long tenon with the neck pickup cradle lopped off), 3 piece neck, no volute. Things I would consider: Those humbuckers hurt the overall value to collectors substantially, less so but even still if the originals are included, they have to be resoldered and the leads get a little shorter, etc.

Check your pots cavity and make sure everything in there is right, the pots are probably 1376929, a lot were made 29th week of 69 for the latter half production. Black striped sprague tone caps.

Otherwise I think it is a lovely example, nice original case, you got the original witch hat knobs which is nice (the original owner of mine changed his to speed knobs in 1970.... still looking for a set of witchs...)

it's all in the asking price.