• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help needed with drilling new tuner holes

Flash Herc

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a newly acquired Edward's gold top that needs woke work. I got it set up with heavier strings, but noticed that the A string was riding on the low E. Upon closer inspection, it looks as though the hole for the low E tuner was drilled too far inside the headstock.

Now, the general concensus from my research is to plug the original hole with a dowel, and redrill it. I'll be using a guide jig I made in the metal shop I work on to ensure the hole is square, and using a brand new Brad tip drill bit for the task.

My question is, what is the best way to avoid damaging the finish on the front side of the headstock? Should I drill front to back, or back to front? I'll definitely be clamping a wood block to the backside either way to avoid splintering and chipping.

Is there a better way to accomplish this task? I'm open to suggestions, have not proceeded further than turning the dowel to fit snug and trimmed to size.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Flash Herc

Nevermind, picking up a String Butler so I don't have to risk drilling my headstock.

jtees4

Nevermind, picking up a String Butler so I don't have to risk drilling my headstock.

Good idea. I've screwed up a few guitars over the years, even though I've usually been successful doing mods. No risk your way!