• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 2019 Junior

Garincha

I did a quick fret polish, conditioned the board and ran to rehearsal with it last night

It just sounds HUGE.

The frets are beautifully dressed, the board was a little dry, frets are a more vintage profile. The wiring was neat and clean (big OD cap), the finish appears flawless. It looks like a 2 piece body, center joined, nice weight to it, probably ~8.5 lbs.

Only changes I'll make are larger strap pins and a plain black truss rod cover. I expect to put a lot of miles on this ride.

I'Ve just got mine from Thomann here in Germany. Is 8.5 lbs a typo maybe? Mine weights in 7.05 on the kitchen scale. I've seen some at Wildwood's Website going even lower @6.8 or something.

Apart from that I can agree with everything you said about These. It's a phantastic guitar, the neck is perfect for me - frankly the first USA Standard Junior that I like the neck of. I'm usually a Custom Shop guy, but this guitar is not too far away and right out of the box. Interestingly the setup was great either. Thomann offers a free Setup Service but since that takes 3 days and I setup my own guitars myself anyway, I declined. So what I got was the shipment right as it came out of the container all the way from the USA. I would have expected anything but certainly not a perfectly setup guitar. Nevertheless it was.

I put a Faber bridge on it (the factory bridge is zinc dycast an weights 80 gr vs. 30 of the Faber aluminum one) and I put a Throbak Dogear in it. And now that Thing screams like an old one. Not that the Gibson P90s are bad, they are actually really good, but I wanted to see how far I could push that guitar.

The pots are great either, seems to me they put audio taper pots now in their standard line as well.

Those are highly recommended it one is looking for a good LP Jr.

c_wester

I demand sounds, we with money and a p90 obsession!!!

Sounds quickly and no music after 1973...

StreetPreacher

It's a beauty! I was looking at grabbing one myself, but I already have two single cut guitars so ended up going with the DC version ;)

The single P90 and wrap around bridge/saddle combination are a blast, Enjoy!

Wattage

I'Ve just got mine from Thomann here in Germany. Is 8.5 lbs a typo maybe? Mine weights in 7.05 on the kitchen scale. I've seen some at Wildwood's Website going even lower @6.8 or something.

I had made a note in a later post when I got to a scale, it weighs a hair under 8lbs

Wattage

Little update:

Did a little recording with it but only some simple slide work. Sounded great thru an Orange AD30/Hiwatt4x12

So far I changed the truss rod cover out for a Creamtone single ply black one, I added the Planet Waves oversized nickel strap pegs, and some aged gold speed knobs. All simple changes that make it look better and more functional for me.

I am going to step back a bit on how well I thought the frets were dressed. They were clean and certainly playable but I wasn't really along with them as well as I thought I would. I ended up doing a re-crown and now it's a much better player. The frets were a little flat topped from the plek and while they did a nice job with them a better crowning would be preferred.

Still really dig the guitar and it's getting a fair amount of use

StreetPreacher

Still really dig the guitar and it's getting a fair amount of use

I know right!?!?

I already had a 1997 Gibson LP Standard so I was worried the new LPJ wouldn't get enough use, but it's ended up being the other way around! Ever since I bought the single P90 loaded LPJ DC I've barely even touched the LP Standard... Maybe there really is something positive to be said about simple, well made, and LIGHT WEIGHT instruments ;)

Wattage

Just a little update

Finally got some aged gold bonnets on it :laugh2:

I also swapped out the stock P-90. It was pretty good but a little too twangy for me and a bit light on bottom end. It reads 7.7k on the meter and I wanted a bit more grind and punch. I recently had my buddy at Tone Master Pickups wind me up a replacement at 8.7k with A4mags that is working out exactly as I hoped for.

Last edited: