• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th Anniv.Wildwood

guitplayer

Congrats on the sweet 60th.

Is adjusting the volume knob on your amp to correlate with the varying output of the particular guitar you are playing presenting you with a hardship?
I don't see why turning up the volume on your amp would be an issue if you are otherwise happy with your 60ths tone response sustain etc.

If you prefer your "bolder" sounding R8, measure the dc resistance of the pups in each guitar. If the R8 is substantially higher then perhaps a higher output pickup would provide you with a 60th more to your liking while also alleviating the necessity to adjust the amp's volume after switching guitars.

The standard alnico magnets II,III IV and V can change the tonal characteristic of the pickup which may alter the perceived output depending on the frequency response but it will not boost output in any meaningful way.

Good luck.

Cool, thanks. The bridge has to be a certain way for it to work well with me.
Turning the amp up is not something I mess with much. I like to set it and leave it. Far be it from me
to switch guitars and sound over the top loud. i`ll forget.
I`ll work with it a while longer and see if I can get a medium. The tone is really good. i`d
like to keep it.

guitplayer

Guitar is really nice. Not sold on the pickup(s) yet.

Attachments

• May 2019 202.jpg
    May 2019 202.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 52

latestarter

I agree that the neck profiles are much closer to the real thing...but then again, there were variations on the real thing!

My CB's are not doing it for me. The treble notes sing out but lack character and the bass is subdued. They're still very good, but I'm thinking a ThroBak swap is in order.

pqs

I find the neck on these 60th anniversary R9s even more comfortable than previous years, which says a lot, because they were already amazing.

My CBs worked great for me. However, I noticed that I had more volume in the neck relative to the bridge when I played in a band setting this last Friday without pedals. I didn't notice the unbalance as much in previous band practices because I was using pedals before Friday that mitigated the unbalance. I have since adjusted the pickup height and I think I might have addressed the unbalance between pickups. I'll play with a bassist and drummer again today, which will be a better test to my minor adjustments than any of the tests I've ran at home, but I'm optimistic.

Anyway, OP, you have a gorgeous LP. Congrats and enjoy.

guitplayer

Cool, thanks. neck feels fine. Pickup height right now is the same as others I have.
There is some decent tone there.

Ghost

Here is my 60th Anniversary 59 from Wildwood Serial #666
It’s a “Beast” ;)

Attachments

• 6919B22B-9172-4DDD-84EC-0B09CEFD9A82.jpg
    6919B22B-9172-4DDD-84EC-0B09CEFD9A82.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 65

Ghost

I would be interested in buying anyone’s 60th anniversary 59 Les Paul pickups if you decide to replace yours. Please just PM me. Thanks.

guitplayer

I had enough of the Gibson frets. Refret with more real estate across the board.
When I bend the GBE together , the E would "doink" off the end of the fret.
Not anymore. I found myself not playing this much because of .

Attachments

• fret.JPG
    fret.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 15

guitplayer

This guitar was offered with aged plastic and metal. I have noticed
since playing the guitar alot that the ageing is being worn off by my finger.
Kinda cool ? dfg.JPG

guitplayer

Some checking starting to appear.
To tell the truth ,these 2 are about all a player needs. Vintage included.
2005 R8 HM and a 2019 Anniv wildwood kindred burst. Both bring the tone.

Attachments

• zzc.JPG
    zzc.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 18
  • zzxc.JPG
    zzxc.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 58 (2)z.JPG
    58 (2)z.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 17

guitplayer

I have a few different bridge pickups in this. The underwound neck pickup sounds GREAT!.
I just could not get what I needed out of the under bridge.
I think I may have found a good match with this 80`s Duncan DDJ.
Cleans up pretty good with the VOL backed off.
I am starting to think at this late juncture that the real easy simple tone
for a guy playing the sub circuit on a Wed nite is a guitar with hot pickups
played through a old tame amp. Fender deluxe tweed , twin. Music man. DSC_0003gt.JPG

Any Name You Wish

I have the opposite on my WW R9. Bridge pickup is fantastic in every way, neck is also great but I find the low E and A strings could use a little more of that woody clarity that the other strings have in the neck pickup. I really had to carefully dial in the neck pickup height and pole screws (and pick a little closer to the neck pickup) to coax the tone I was looking for on the bass notes. I'm really nit-picking though, and overall the WW underwound is the go-to pickup for me. I have the same pickups in my WW '61 SG RI and the volume is the same from guitar-to-guitar and nearly across the pickups (1/2 tick higher for the neck pickup). Note that I play through a '59 Bassman RI. Nice looking axe btw.

guitplayer

The underwound sounds pretty good in the bridge.
Just not quite what I need it to do. All those UW are probably different somehow.