• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Adding a Stoptail to a 1969 335?

ourmaninthenorth

Paul, sage advice as always.

And flattery will get you everywhere.

Sorry I missed you at the show, I was there for over three hours and it seems I managed to miss most folks!

Rob

I was looking out for you Mate, but like yourself managed to miss almost everyone!!!

We got there about noon, and didn't leave until the end. I thought it was a great show.

Hope you're well, catch you soon.

:salude

Guitar Whiskey

If you “need” to mod it permanently to make it “right”...it isn’t the guitar for you. Sell it so that it can get into the right person’s hands unharmed.

You’ll find yours...it’s out there!

Well said.

That's too nice of a guitar to bastardize.

GuitarMikey

I say do it! :salude
If I were in the market for a 335 of that year, I would purchase one that was converted to stop (correctly) before I purchased one with a trap.

J.D.

When did it become taboo to modify a guitar? :wah

garywright

call me silly, but in my mind if a vintage guitar has remained pristine for that many years it’s earned its right to remain so

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
If it had a stop tail. it wouldn't have stayed so nice. Good guitars get played.

rob livesey

If it had a stop tail. it wouldn't have stayed so nice. Good guitars get played.

The original owner bought it new and kept it under the bed for 40 years. I bought it from the second owner, who had it for 10 years. It has been played, but only at home, and the fret wear indicated he never went above the 5th fret.

I won’t rush into making a decision.

renderit

Back in the early to mid 70's I did that to 3 or 4 of them for people I knew.

TM1

Rob; back in the 70’s I did a lot of 335 stop tail adds! Made them a better guitar. I don’t think it devalues a guitar by doing that. Most guys who wanted me to do it as it added quite a bit of sustain.
I would also get an ABM bell brass stoptail! They resonate so nicely and add a lot to the overall sound. I would also put a pair of ThroBak A-4 magnets in those T-Tops! It will add more of a “PAF” quality to the sound.
Congrats on the guitar my friend!
[FONT=ssp_semibold]ABM 3020c Chrome[/FONT]

deytookerjaabs

I'd rather hold off and buy a stop tail down the road. A big fan of both setups, especially a step further to the Rivieras, such sweet tone and feel. Yep, not as much sustain or tight feel when bending etc but there's a very subtle difference that I love about having the tailpiece setup. It's like hating a Jazzmaster because Tele's/Strats just lend themselves more easily to big bends/sustain/etc.

mdubya

I'd rather hold off and buy a stop tail down the road. A big fan of both setups, especially a step further to the Rivieras, such sweet tone and feel. Yep, not as much sustain or tight feel when bending etc but there's a very subtle difference that I love about having the tailpiece setup. It's like hating a Jazzmaster because Tele's/Strats just lend themselves more easily to big bends/sustain/etc.

:dude:

Now I have to post my favorite Phil X video.

:hank

marshall1987

I don't want to start a shit storm, but 1969 ES-335s w/ the 1 9/16" nut is not one of the better years for the model. I can't even play a Gibson with that narrow nut width, and would never buy one regardless of price.

So go ahead and put a stop tail piece on your guitar if you like. I wouldn't worry about devaluing the guitar, as long as the conversion is professional completed.

guitplayer

I don't want to start a shit storm, but 1969 ES-335s w/ the 1 9/16" nut is not one of the better years for the model. I can't even play a Gibson with that narrow nut width, and would never buy one regardless of price.

So go ahead and put a stop tail piece on your guitar if you like. I wouldn't worry about devaluing the guitar, as long as the conversion is professional completed.

There it is....:salude

renderit

Out of curiosity, Ren, did the stop tails make dramatic improvements to the guitars in question?

Yes IMO.

The last I talked to any of them they were happy they did it.

Tone, sustain and less pain in the butt were their comments.

But that was years ago. Like 40 years ago.

mdubya

Yes IMO.

The last I talked to any of them they were happy they did it.

Tone, sustain and less pain in the butt were their comments.

But that was years ago. Like 40 years ago.

Thanks.

AA00475Bassman

1987 really nailed this is what my first post should have said , the stop seemed to disappear with the 1 9/16 nuts .

CAGinLA

Get a Towner Down Tension Bar II - which is made for guitars with trapeze tailpieces.

http://townerusa.com/product/down-tension-bar-ii/

hoFigy9l.png