• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Quick Question- models with slim tapered neck profile....

Shawn71

I had a LP Custom briefly in the 90's and really liked the slim tapered 60's neck profile. it was and '81.

What models and or years are best to look for for this profile? LPC or definitely others as well.

thanks!

jb_abides

As far as LPs (leaving out ES, et al), LP Classics are the "standard-bearer" for 60s slim taper neck profile regardless of year of manufacture... and to a lesser extent the LP Studios.

Of course, in the newly offered Original line, the 60s Standard has the slim taper and if you are into the typical Burst-like specs vs Customs, those would be the ones to check out.

But there are many LP Classic lovers, too. Late 90s thru early Aughts. Goldtops, trans finishes, Premium Plus tops. And up thru today. There are vibrant discussions about good years. 2018s had P90s which was a novel spec....

"Classic Customs" from 2007-12 have some Custom appointments like split diamond headstock blended with Classic specs.

There are runs of LP Custom with slim taper neck profiles, but you need to check the specs for particular run AFAIK. I don't have good info on particular years, I seem to recall 2008s...

Enjoy the hunt! :salude

Last edited:

kips2

I had a black '72 Custom for a few years that had a fantastic slim neck.
Unfortunately, the guitar had all the resonance and sustain of a pillow, so I had to sell it...