• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul vs 335 neck. What's the difference?

Digieditny

I recently played a 335. The neck felt flatter and the nut width felt larger. I loved it. I can not confirm if it was actually flatter or the nut width larger. It felt really comfortable in my hands. I currently own 2 Les Paul's. 2003 and 1979 standard. That 335 neck felt so much more comfortable. Can anyone confirm what's the difference I was feeling?

thank you!

Guitar Whiskey

The short answer is they are not the same, but no 2 guitars are typically the same since they are hand shaped. 335 necks can vary depending on the model; i.e. dot neck, block neck, Memphis, or Custom Shop. They can range from .79" to .91" at the first fret and .88" to 1.02" at the twelth fret. You would have to measure the guitar you played and your LP's to get an accurate picture. Also the neck profile has a lot to do with it which is not easily measured. It's actually the circumference of the neck that you experience when you wrap your hand around it and are playing it.

brandtkronholm

There isn't really a neck shape/size associated to 335s or Les Pauls in general.

Both the Les Paul and ES335 have a 24 3/4" scale - so their neck are the same "length." It might be better to say that when compared side-by-side the distances between frets are exactly the same. Many other Gibson electric guitars use this same scale, so speaking broadly, Gibson 24 3/4" necks are pretty much the same.

Sometimes the width at the neck can change. The classic era Gibsons from the late '50s and early '60s typically measure 1 11/16" at the nut while Gibsons from the late '60s are known to be quite narrow at the nut and measure 1 9/16". Yup, that 1/8 of an inch is a deal breaker (or maker) sometimes!

The differences between Gibson 24 3/4" necks are also a matter of shape. '50s = FAT (typically), early '60s = wicked thin, especially 1961. 1964 = back to fat, but not so much.

When you go to the guitar shop and check out a reissue Gibson the necks should roughly correspond: R6 = FAT neck. R0 = Thin, 1964 reissue ES335 - fat but not as fat as the '50s.

Your mileage may vary...

Digieditny

Thanks guys! So I'll go back to the guitar shop and measure the neck. Are LPs usually 12" radius or is it 10"? I'm seeing conflicting information. The nut width had to be wider. It felt like there was move room on the high and low E to the edge of the fretboard. Anyway, with that said, I'll go measure! Thanks again!

renderit

This will not help, but here I go.

BACK IN THE DAY...

Seriously, back in the 70's when I was a young weasel with the world before me and many chicken coops behind an ES neck was the bees knees.

Rounded but thinner than most others, it was easier to play for me and felt just perfect.

I have smallish hands but longer fingers than they should be for the smallish hands and the ES's were a delight.

They were not 'flat' in any way shape or form.

A Les was just huge and most others at the time approximated that, but the ES's were decidedly narrower but nicely rounded so I could dig in.

Roll the time machine forward to present and they are all over the place.

Fat, thin, flat. Anything you want.

Not the same as what I used to play.

But now I like fat necks, so it is not so bad.

But my 1998 Nashville 345 (a '65 reissue) was the 'perfect' old ES neck and is why I bought it in 1998...

mdubya

I have a '59 335 RI that feels very, very similar to a friend's '58 LP RI; deep, very round, and wide.

I also have an ES 330 with a fat 50's neck, but it feels very, very different to the '59 335 RI.

Never mind that the LP and the 330 neck joint is at the 16th fret and the 335 is at the 19th.

Never mind that my 335 Dot Reissue feels like a different model guitar altogether from my '59 RI. And it is so sweet that, bragging rights aside, it could be my one and only. Wide but slim neck, .81 - .88.

My current LP is an ES, and it sounds and plays like an LP, and the neck round and medium is every way; .85 - .95 and not particularly wide nor narrow.

Any of them, when set up right, play like a dream.

Viva la difference.