• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck pickup sounds louder than bridge pickup

nikhilsanju

Hi friends,
I've recently got an epi lp plus top pro. It's got these really good sounding probuckers. But the bridge pickup seems to sound slightly less louder than the neck pickup when both the volume knobs are turned to 10. The bridge pickup is definitely raised higher than the neck pickup.
Please let me know what should I do. Do I have to lower the pole pieces of the neck pickup. I really don't know what should be done. Any help will be much appreciated and valued.

Last edited:

Mars Hall

Depending, either lower the neck pu or raise the bridge even out the volume.

Mars Hall

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciate it. I'm just curious though, what would happen if I were to turn the pole pieces?

Pole piece adjustments will change the balance from string to string. Say one string doesn't cut through as compared to the others, raise that pole. Also, the closer the pole to the string, you'll get more bite and treble.

TM1

The issue is there is more string movements over the neck pickup than over the bridge, so the bridge pickup will see less energy being transmitted to it than the neck. You will need to raise the bridge pickup and lower the neck pickup.

renderit

Most peeps try to get the stronger pickup in the bridge position due to what TM1 says above.

I am pretty sure the factory does not check due to what many have said in this forum in the past.

Or they have a box labeled Bridge and a box labeled Neck but sometimes they come out the opposite by chance.

Everybody that has posted is passing good info.

IF YOU NEVER HAVE ADJUSTED PICKUPS RELAX!

The basics are pretty simple.

The relative volume of the WHOLE pickup can be changed by raising it towards the strings.

Then each string can be adjusted by raising the pole piece closer if you need more volume on that string or lowering it to back it off.

Make sure you fret at the highest string to check you are not getting things so close they interfere with the string.

As stated above, the pole pieces in relation to the pickup can change the tone and volume pretty drastically.

A pickup adjusted way down with the pole pieces way up will be brighter and more piano like.

Pole pieces down to the cover but the pickup raised will give you a much different tone, more grit? for lack of a better term.

Think of the pole piece as an extension of the magnet but MORE FOCUSSED.

When everything (poles and pickup) are close you diffuse the sound somewhat as that field is general.

When the poles are closer than the whole pickup they concentrate on each string more.

So to play with volume only move the whole bridge pickup closer and the neck further from the strings.

Triplet

Ren, you said all that with a straight face... Forget your meds today???