• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

tweed amps - Victoria vs Mojo kit

zzzzz

Hey all,
Recently played a Victoria 35310 bandmaster style amp- it is wonderful.
Now I'm on the hunt for a 3x10 bandmaster 5e7 style amp.

Wondering ya'lls thoughts on Vic vs a nice kit like Mojo tone - there are a few folks building them out there and doing really nice work, but I'm wondering if something will be lost in the mojo tone vs the Vic??

any experiences?

renderit

I have three Vics and can attest to the great sounds coming out of them. (Don't have a bandmaster style though).

I don't see why a self built with quality components would be bad or worse though.

His (the maker of Victorias amps) says he spends a lot of time getting the caps and resistors just right.

But I have a Clark Piedmont and a Victoria 45410 which are each 59 or 60 style Bassman circuits and I like each of them but favor the Clark slightly and the components are mostly high dollar Sozo's etc.

The Victoria sounds like a Bassman did in the first 15 years, the Clark like a 59-60 sounds now.

Andrew Andrade

I have a Clark Tyger which is the same as a Tweed Bandmaster. I had him add reverb which makes it a very versatile amp. It is now starting to break in and has both the clarity and fatness of a vintage tweed amp. I recommend that you check it out.

toxpert

A critical factor in tweed tone is the B+ voltage that the power transformer supplies ...especially give higher modern wall voltage.

For example - a 5E3, ideal B+ target is 350 volts DC.

you should check what a vintage Tweed Bandmaster produces at vintage wall voltage...and, if building your own, work with transformer supplier to provide a unit that provides vintage specs at modern wall voltage.

Cheers,
Mac

sonar

I have a ton of respect for Mark Baier (owner Victoria Amps) as he has done as much to preserve the Tweed tone as anyone in the game. To this day his High Power Twin is one of my all-time favorite amps.

A Tweed Bandmaster would be a challenging first build. I'd start with something less intimidating like a Tweed Deluxe, but a Bandmaster is still doable if you get the right guidance. Ren mentioned that a kit with quality parts should be as good as a Vicky, and I agree. These amps have pretty straight forward specs with no "special sauce" in the electronics.

A critical factor in tweed tone is the B+ voltage that the power transformer supplies ...especially give higher modern wall voltage.

For example - a 5E3, ideal B+ target is 350 volts DC.

you should check what a vintage Tweed Bandmaster produces at vintage wall voltage...and, if building your own, work with transformer supplier to provide a unit that provides vintage specs at modern wall voltage.

Cheers,
Mac

I learned this the long way, buying a direct power transformer clone that wasn't voltage corrected, then trying to lower the B+ plate voltage with zener diodes and finally biting the bullet and getting a voltage corrected PT. Tweed clones can play a little tight and strident at higher voltages and for a lack of better descriptive, feel more "relaxed" at lower voltages. They do sound a little sweeter, but for me the feel and response were the key improvements.

Last edited:

zzzzz

Thanks for all the insight ya'll!
I'm looking at having Mike Marsh build one, he seems to use mostly mojo tone stuff:
"

• Sprague Atom or TAD Electrolytics
  • Orange Drop Coupling Caps
  • Carbon Comp Resisters
  • Cloth Wire
  • Pictorial instruction Booklet
  • 3 Jensen Ceramic speakers

I hear the vics are great, but mostly use orange drop caps made with their name??

I would definitely upgrade to alnico speakers - ceramic seems odd for this amp.
These parts seem pretty similar to Vic right?? Marsh/mojo is using Heyboer output transformers - not sure what Vic uses but I hear heyboer is legit and to spec for the bandmaster idea.

sonar

Mike Marsh helped me out with with my first build. Good guy.

His kits are Mojotone, but he offers options and upgrades.

Heyboer builds transformers to a buyer’s spec - Weber, Mojo, GDS, whomever. Amp builders/suppliers also use other makers, but overall Heyboer is very solid. Double check that the PT is voltage corrected.

Orange drops or not, Victoria amps sound great and for me a non-factor if I was looking to buy a Victoria. Also consider that resale value is better with Vic compared to a kit, regardless of who builds it.

I agree that alnico is an important part of Tweed tone, but it jumps up the price of a build considerably.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
I have three Vics and can attest to the great sounds coming out of them. (Don't have a bandmaster style though).

I don't see why a self built with quality components would be bad or worse though.

His (the maker of Victorias amps) says he spends a lot of time getting the caps and resistors just right.

But I have a Clark Piedmont and a Victoria 45410 which are each 59 or 60 style Bassman circuits and I like each of them but favor the Clark slightly and the components are mostly high dollar Sozo's etc.

The Victoria sounds like a Bassman did in the first 15 years, the Clark like a 59-60 sounds now.

Michael Clark makes an excellent 3x10 Bandmaster replica. I have two of them and have played them side by side with several (mostly) original vintage Fenders and the Clark is really a superlative replica. All IMO of course...

Buck

zzzzz

I hear that- by all accounts Clark is at the top when it comes to the 3x10 5e7 amps... with Vic being a close 2nd.

You rarely see Clarks show up uses, and vic for that matter, which is why I was considering having Mike build one new.
His are mojo, around $1,400 with alnico and he adds spring reverb, which I realize is a change to the original circuit, but he claims it has little to no impact on the amps tone as it's solid state powered and separate from the amp's circuit...

I donno I sure really liked the vic, just can't seem to find vic or clark showing up used too much....