• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - Gibson Les Paul Special 2019 - TV Yellow

Froggie

I just received my new LP Special 2019 in TV Yellow.

The guitar comes all the way from the Netherlands as there are no Gibson dealers near where I live in Ireland and there was only limited stock in the UK. These are definitely proving hard to find right now in Europe.

I’m really happy with the guitar. My other LP is a 2016 Custom Shop R9.

The neck is smaller than the R9 and is comfortable. So far the intonation is great and it stays in tune very well. No fret buzz or sound issues and the action is nice and low.

One small point is that the fret board seems quite dry so I might give it a gentle oiling at the weekend.

I previously owned a 2015 Traditional LP and I hated everything about it, so I was dubious about buying another USA Model but I’m glad I did.

Thanks to Andy at Guitar King for great customer service. Highly recommended.

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg
IMG_3829.jpg

sliberty

Happy NGD! I love a proper Special. Used to have a 1960 VOS Special - great guitar. Neck being smaller than the R9 suggests it is also a 1960-ish neck profile.

The dry rosewood seems to be across the board. My new Standard also had a dry looking board. The store where I bought the guitar oiled it for me as part of the setup they did before handing it over to me (can you imagine that? customer service in 2019? Wow).

Enjoy - P90's with a wraptail are my favorite design. See at the left :)

renderit

Awesome find!

Is that not a Custom Shop though?

It looks just like one.

Bet it plays like a dream.

Froggie

Thanks guys.

Will definitely oil the fret board.

I really am happy with the sound, very different to my other LP. It's hard to describe, it's light and clear.

@Renderit, it's just a regular USA line model. Very happy with the build quality and finish.

Wattage

Awesome, congrats on the guitar!!!

I am picking up my new Junior tomorrow and yes it did seem like the board was a little dry yesterday when I was playing it.

Not sure if the Jr and the Special are supposed to have the same profile but I thought the neck was very fat 50's-ish.

Froggie

Awesome, congrats on the guitar!!!

I am picking up my new Junior tomorrow and yes it did seem like the board was a little dry yesterday when I was playing it.

Not sure if the Jr and the Special are supposed to have the same profile but I thought the neck was very fat 50's-ish.

You are correct, it's a 50's neck. I was making the comparison than the LP Special neck is definitely not as fat as my 2016 R9.

Good luck with the Junior!

bobalu

Congrats! I played one of these recently in my local shop and really want to pull the trigger on one. I'm just wary of the wrap around bridge with respect to intonation (I'm a real newbie when it comes to wrap arounds - know nothing!). How does it intonate without any adjustment possible? Is it really that accurate? Man it played nice - LOVE the fat 50's style neck!

Trans-Am

Congrats! Always loved that TVY color, wish they'd make that on a Standard/Custom besides the Special/Melody etc.:dude:

zombiwoof

Congrats! I played one of these recently in my local shop and really want to pull the trigger on one. I'm just wary of the wrap around bridge with respect to intonation (I'm a real newbie when it comes to wrap arounds - know nothing!). How does it intonate without any adjustment possible? Is it really that accurate? Man it played nice - LOVE the fat 50's style neck!

It does have overall string length adjustment by the two set screws, but you have to "fudge" a little to get plain G strings intonated by setting the bridge/TP to a position where the G and adjacent strings are pretty close to correct intonation. There are aftermarket replacement wrap bridges that look the same but have intonation for a plain G string built in to the top of the bridge, if you want intonation perfect you would want to get one of those. However, players have been able to make the vintage type work fine for years.
Al

Dave71

Congrats on the new Special. I picked up one of those about a week ago myself. Really love wraptail TV Yellow Specials. Although it would have been sweet if Gibson offered these in TV White too.

Froggie

Thanks for the replies.

I am really happy with the guitar. The difference between this 2019 Les Paul and my previous 2015 LP Trad is incredible from quality of the finish, sound and overall playability.

The guitar is so much closer to my 2016 R9 and I really wasn’t expecting this.

I would 100% recommend anyone interested in buying one to go ahead. No complaints at all from me.

The intonation and tuning stability are very very good.

bluesforstevie

Thanks for the replies.

I am really happy with the guitar. The difference between this 2019 Les Paul and my previous 2015 LP Trad is incredible from quality of the finish, sound and overall playability.

The guitar is so much closer to my 2016 R9 and I really wasn’t expecting this.

I would 100% recommend anyone interested in buying one to go ahead. No complaints at all from me.

The intonation and tuning stability are very very good.

Nice!!

bluesforstevie

Just pulled the trigger on one of these! Saturday is delivery. 7.6lb. My first new Gibson in 12yrs.

GuitarPhotos_207188539.jpeg

Attachments

• GuitarPhotos_207188537.jpeg
    GuitarPhotos_207188537.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Froggie

Congratulations! I still love my one. Hope you enjoy yours as much :yah

My guitar stays in tune great and I find the neck really comfortable.

No sure what the weight is, must check it out.