• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tone Control

Krank

Hope someone can help. Bought the new les Paul special tribute with p90s. The tone control seems non existent until i turn it to two or so and then I get the full effect of the treble cut. Is there a way to get more usability out of it? Maybe changing the pot or cap?

sliberty

I don’t know what pot values and tapers Gibson uses in that model, so I can’t tell you what small mod would fix this. But for sure, if you removed everything in the control cavity, and then replaced it all with a good 50’s wiring control harness made up of CTS 500k audio pots, and .022uF caps (orange drops, Mallory, or any other quality cap type), you should have controls that are nice and responsive. It might be the brute force approach, but it will work.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hope someone can help. Bought the new les Paul special tribute with p90s. The tone control seems non existent until i turn it to two or so and then I get the full effect of the treble cut. Is there a way to get more usability out of it? Maybe changing the pot or cap?

Sounds like the tone pot has the wrong taper. A good tech should be able to correct this by getting the correct pot. :)