• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul ‘57 R7 Specification Help Needed

Gridlock

I’m thinking of possibly buying a 2001 ‘57 R7 Gold Top soon and I’m having trouble finding any specific’s on the guitar other than it has a “chunky neck”.

Curious on the type of pickups, body/neck/fretboard construction and wood types, frets, finish, etc.

Any help filling in this information would be greatly appreciated.

Grid

Gridlock

Well I tried out the guitar today, probably would have bought the R7, but the neck was sanded down.

The sanded neck on the R7 actually felt slimmer than my Traditional.

Guess I will wait for the next “R” model to come along.

duaneflowers

I love my '00 Murphy Aged Yamano Spec R7... there was an '00 and an '01 available and I opted for the '00 over the '01 although it was a tough call...

I'm not sure if this one is any different from other models since it was made specifically for the Japanese market, which generally prefers slimmer necks, but I find the neck quite chunky (similar to my R9s) and just perfect for my big ole paws. I didn't like the little ceramic caps that were in it, so they were the first to go, and while I liked the '57 Classic pups (the early ones were outstanding while IMHO they generally sucked after they changed the specs) they were soon replaced a few times before settling on the vintage wire Wizzes currently installed (as are also on the other 3 guitars in the photo). The Costa Rican Lifton Reissue case that came with the Japanese '00s was also a plus over the '01 and I believe the Murphy aged ones were also only available in Japan. The aging is subtle, but perfect and it is one of my favorite playahs... :salude

60877428_10218182211483331_617993206314827776_o.jpg

renderit

DUUUUHWAAAAYNE! GORGEOUS!

I purchased most of my Pauls between 2013 and 2015. In that period most of the necks were pretty year specific on the ones I tried. I.E. if you handed me mine blindfolded I could tell you what ones they were by the size of the neck. R4, huge. R6, just slightly smaller. R7 etc working their way towards the 59. I think the R7 is one of my favorites. Nice heft yet refined. By the way, my R0 (1960 model) neck is typical. An abomination...

35661932703_81ddaffb48_k.jpg

Gridlock

Those are beautiful guitars guys, I believe that I’m going to hold out for a nice R7.

Thanks for responding.

Gridlock

Those are beautiful guitars guys, I believe that I’m going to hold out for a nice R7.

Thanks for responding.

Well, I went in another different direction and bought a 2010 R8.

Maybe a R7 will show up again in a future guitar purchase. Still love Gold Tops.

J T

I have a 2001 R7. Yes the neck is nice and fat like a 50's neck should be. The Pickups are 57 classics. Great bang for the buck.

Gridlock

I have a 2001 R7. Yes the neck is nice and fat like a 50's neck should be. The Pickups are 57 classics. Great bang for the buck.

My R8 had Burstbusters. I had a LP Traditional with 57’s, loved those pickups. Not sure the of the differences between the two different pickups?