• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Messed up magnet swap somehow

JPP-1

I can be pretty hamfisted at times. Tried to glue some lose binding on my HD28V and boy what a disaster that was. I think Stewmac should put idiot warning stickers on their products that can be so easily misused by would-be luthiers. Lol.

Now magnet swaps, never had issue. I must've swapped the magnets out of my TH59 a dozen times. Maybe I was lucky or hardware is more my thing and I should just stay away from liquidy substances that can adversely affect a guitars finish. Bottom line, if you are going to work on your guitar or amp, mistakes are the price of the education. If you learn from your mistakes as the OP did, the cost will certainly be less than running to your tech for everything. The exception to that might be magnet swaps and vintage PAFs or getting glue anywhere near a really nice acoustic guitar.

Tonally, I find magnet swaps the least expensive ways to adjust your tone at a primary level. I hope for the OP the effort was worth it.

GeraintGuitar

I can be pretty hamfisted at times. Tried to glue some lose binding on my HD28V and boy what a disaster that was. I think Stewmac should put idiot warning stickers on their products that can be so easily misused by would-be luthiers. Lol.

Now magnet swaps, never had issue. I must've swapped the magnets out of my TH59 a dozen times. Maybe I was lucky or hardware is more my thing and I should just stay away from liquidy substances that can adversely affect a guitars finish. Bottom line, if you are going to work on your guitar or amp, mistakes are the price of the education. If you learn from your mistakes as the OP did, the cost will certainly be less than running to your tech for everything. The exception to that might be magnet swaps and vintage PAFs or getting glue anywhere near a really nice acoustic guitar.

Tonally, I find magnet swaps the least expensive ways to adjust your tone at a primary level. I hope for the OP the effort was worth it.

Could'nt agree more with you , i got fed up with so called techs ruining my guitars , "learning " cost me some money in trial and error And parts and gave me some massive head aches but ive just finished my first refret on a 90's epi lp that a tech did a dodgy frets job on and am really pleased with the results

Dave P

I would make a diagram where the coil leads go on the coil in question, then unsolder the wires and test with an ohm meter. If it reads open, then something may have happened to the coil, such as a lead wire becoming unattached to the coil winding, or a break in the winding. If it is the outside lead, it could be soldered back on, the inside lead most likely would mean rewinding the coil. If there is a break on the outside of the coil, it still could be salvaged by unwinding the coil until you find the break.