The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    393

    Sg NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Just got this bad mama-jama today...haven't had a chance to take my own pics yet, but here she is...

    2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG.

    Really nice looking and sounding guitar, weighing in at 6 lbs, 14 oz.

    I though maybe the neck would be a bit chunkier, as this has a supposedly larger neck carve from the '61/'62 RI, but it actually doesn't feel much chunkier from other Custom Shop SGs I have owned. Maybe a little thicker at the 12th fret?

    Even though I generally prefer thick neck carves, I'm not complaining; the guitar has plenty of resonance and the neck feels more stable than some of my previous SGs.



  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Happy NGD, I am glad to see someone has finally posted about these! They are selling out everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
    Just got this bad mama-jama today...haven't had a chance to take my own pics yet, but here she is...

    2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG.

    Really nice looking and sounding guitar, weighing in at 6 lbs, 14 oz.

    I though maybe the neck would be a bit chunkier, as this has a supposedly larger neck carve from the '61/'62 RI, but it actually doesn't feel much chunkier from other Custom Shop SGs I have owned. Maybe a little thicker at the 12th fret?

    Even though I generally prefer thick neck carves, I'm not complaining; the guitar has plenty of resonance and the neck feels more stable than some of my previous SGs.



  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    393

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Legit View Post
    Happy NGD, I am glad to see someone has finally posted about these! They are selling out everywhere!
    Thanks! I am very happy with it so far. I have to say that, aside from how well it plays and sounds, the color really looks great in person - the pics I posted don't capture it properly.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Quote Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
    Thanks! I am very happy with it so far. I have to say that, aside from how well it plays and sounds, the color really looks great in person - the pics I posted don't capture it properly.
    Take some cool photos outside! I was at NAMM, and this was easily my favorite guitar there! I cannot wait to get mine! I hope it brings you many years of joy!

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    393

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Legit View Post
    Take some cool photos outside! I was at NAMM, and this was easily my favorite guitar there! I cannot wait to get mine! I hope it brings you many years of joy!
    Thanks - I hope the same for you with your new one!

  6. #6

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    After a few mis-starts with SGs (my first ones were badly balanced with neck dive), I finally found a great one (Historic Special P90s), and then another right after that (Dave's Guitar Limited with Humbuckers). So they have become some of my favorite guitars, and that one you've got is a real looker. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you've got a winner on your hands. Love that color! Gibson is really killing it this year! Congrats!!!

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,464

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    THAT is a proper SG!

    While I am no fan of whammy sticks It looks right!

    And probably helps the balance.

    Awesome beasty!


  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    393

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Still the honeymoon period, but I am quite satisfied with the looks, feel and sound on this one, I am happy to say.

    This is the 15th SG I have owned (5 of which have been Custom Shop, 9 Gibson USA, and 1 vintage Jr). I think this is quite easily the best one I have owned and feels most like the vintage ones I have played in stores.

    The Maestro break angle is nearly perfect (just a hair high on the high E side, but not a deal breaker), which is something I am a stickler about. Tuning has been pretty solid so far, now that I have stretched out the strings. I suspect that if I took the Maestro off there might be a little neck dive, as the neck carve is slightly beefier than your typical SG.

    This is the first SG I have had with nylon saddles - I've owned some Memphis 335's with them, though, and on this guiter they seem a little less plinky - maybe it's the Maestro that makes a difference?

    I will try to do a video this weekend.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,248

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    However you feel about the guitar...if I had to make a dealer pamphlet yours would be the cover model, good gawd. Congrats!

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    393

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    However you feel about the guitar...if I had to make a dealer pamphlet yours would be the cover model, good gawd. Congrats!
    Hah, thanks!

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member Musicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In a cave and grooving with a pict...
    Posts
    1,684

    Re: NGD: 2019 Gibson Custom 1964 SG

    Very nice congrats!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i