• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions

Sewell

Hi, I’m considering changing the pickups in my CC LP. I have a ser of Throbacks lying around that I’m curious to try. What’s Your opinion on those, compared to Wizz pickups? I’m a Wizz fan, but never tried Throbacks. Thanks in advance.

renderit

What Thrōbaks? I have both and like each in different applications. Some guitars may sing with one and not sound as well with the other. They are both fine examples though and are my 2 favorites.

renderit

I have a few SLE-101 MXV sets.

Compared to a Wizz they are probably a bit brighter and punchier yet still awesome in the harmonics arena.

The Wizzes to my ear are a little more soft and fuzzier (woodier maybe).

This is not a cut. I believe the Wizzes work better in a guitar which is very hard to get right with the Thrōbaks as in it is still TOO forward and you need to back it off a bit.

On a softer voiced guitar the Thrōbaks seem to work better.

But this is a HUGE generalization. Some work the opposite. I have a 339 which I liked the MXV's in (hated the original pickups) but it still was missing something.

I slapped in a standard Wizz set and it came alive.

If I have a very light guitar I usually head to the Thrōbaks first assuming a woodier softer voice.

But there is really no science there.

The Wizz oldwire custom winds are another animal altogether. You need a whip to tame them. But man, in the right fiddle they REALLY sing!

renderit

I might add, since you are wondering I am guessing you like what you have, but it is not IT.

Try the Thrōbaks.

Keep the Wizzes. They WILL be IT in something. Trust me.