The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

ES-355, no serial number, no custom shop logo

I am looking at a 2005 ES-355. Apparently made in the Nashville custom shop (I called and confirmed with Gibson; actually they told me it was technically a CS-355, denoting that it was made in the Nashville CS).

What I find strange is that there is no custom shop logo on the back of the headstock.

Also, while the COA and sticker inside the F hole indicate the serial number (beginning with B), there is no serial number on the back of the headstock.

The store pulled it down and confirmed, nothing on the headstock.

Is this common because I've never seen this?

Any concerns with there being no CS logo and no serial number? Why wouldn't they put that on there?

Re: ES-355, no serial number, no custom shop logo

The ES's I have seen have the SN on the sticker and that's it. The CS sticker went away well before 2005.

Historic Reissues don't have a Serial No. or Made In the USA stamped on the back of the headstock. Just the label in the F hole. The COA should list the model which tells more. What did the label say? It usually denotes Memphis or Nashville. And until just recently, all modern ES guitars originated in Memphis. Some got Nashville branding, but what got them the Nashville label is unclear.

My ES 330 VOS has nothing but an ink stamped Serial No. in the lower F hole.

Need photos!

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    Historic Reissues don't have a Serial No. or Made In the USA stamped on the back of the headstock.
    Some, but not all. Some have just a 5 digit s/n, and some a 5 digit s/n with an "A" prefix, trying to be "true to the originals".

As usual, tough to use absolutes about what they did. Too many "depends on......".
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I am looking at a 2005 ES-355. Apparently made in the Nashville custom shop (I called and confirmed with Gibson; actually they told me it was technically a CS-355, denoting that it was made in the Nashville CS).

What I find strange is that there is no custom shop logo on the back of the headstock.

Also, while the COA and sticker inside the F hole indicate the serial number (beginning with B), there is no serial number on the back of the headstock.

The store pulled it down and confirmed, nothing on the headstock.

Is this common because I've never seen this?

Any concerns with there being no CS logo and no serial number? Why wouldn't they put that on there?
    This is consistent with 2005 Nashville historic spec ES-335s.

Quote Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
    Some, but not all. Some have just a 5 digit s/n, and some a 5 digit s/n with an "A" prefix, trying to be "true to the originals".

As usual, tough to use absolutes about what they did. Too many "depends on......".

Too true!

I have a 1998 Nashville 345 which only has the orange sticker and nothing on the headstock (and back then they did not do COA's). That is the way the old ones were so I see no problem.

I have a 2016 Custom Shop 335. No custom shop logo or serial nr back on the headstock, just the orange sticker.