• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ever have a guitar you don't play due to value?

ChuckR9

Here's a quick picture of my R9 in question. As I said earlier, I am playing it now. Thanks.R9.jpg

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
For me the memory of the vacation is over once the vacation is over versus if you buy a guitar and you like/love it that will last a lifetime

You might be taking the wrong vacations...

JPP-1

First thing I do if I have a guitar that I love is bounce keys off it. Done, now lets play.

Personally I hate mint guitars. It's like a stiff unbroken baseball mitt, denim or worse: a shiny BBQ top PRS. If I'm buying a used guitar from a private owner that's more than 2 years old and there's 0 wear, my first thought is that it's tonally a dog.

I don't think I have anything in common with people who want a mint shiny used guitar and OCD about their R8 or R9 guitar purchase as if its some sort of investment. You must be kidding me. Seriously, if that's your mindset invest 5k in SPY shares and go buy an epiphone. Thank me later.

It's funny that some of these same over anal types would spend extra to have the valet at Gibson razor blade, key bounce and sand their new mint guitar. I wonder how they can tell artificial factory wear from authentic wear. Hey OP, there's your answer. Buy a Gibson pre aged guitar, then it will always be mint.

JPP-1

Here's a quick picture of my R9 in question. As I said earlier, I am playing it now. Thanks.View attachment 9697

That's good, because that PRS style quilt top will do more to devalue a historic than anything you could do short of taking power tools to it.

Seriously though, using due care to preserve an instruments value is one thing. Emergencies can and do crop up, but not playing and enjoying a guitar defeats the purpose of owning it. The best advice I can give is to thoroughly enjoy those things and people in your life that bring you joy before you can't. We're not here for forever, in fact, life is pretty fvcking short.

AA00475Bassman

XQhfgBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
I have memory of Customs in Mexico Long After !!

El Gringo

XQhfgBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
I have memory of Customs in Mexico Long After !!
Oh yeah brings back memories of coming back from TJ and that wicked long line of cars at San Jisdro Border crossing at San Diego and myself falling asleep in the van and being woken by our Customs guys and where are you from ? and me barking at them and them saying to me "oh yeah he is one of ours with that mouth on him " and I was seriously pissed at being awoken at 3:00am in the morning !

Truss Rob

Hi, I have a bourbon burst R9 in mint condition I love, but I don't play it because if I ever have to sell it I am trying to keep it mint. Is anyone else in that boat?
It seems dumb, but I've had to sell a bunch of equipment recently, including a bunch of Les Pauls and people want a mint guitar for nothing, including R8 & R9, I sold 2 R8 and 1 R9 recently. I have other guitars, a hummingbird(same story, mint like new don't play much), a Firebird V (mint), a 30 year Strat and some other cheaper stuff, tone king amps, etc. It's nuts I know but I'm putting out there.
:dang

I was in this boat many moons ago and when I hit 50, I decided to play away . Ironically I am negotiating with a seller on a Hummingbird .. so I can play the hell out of it . Enjoy what you own and buy if it means playing the finish off of it !

STC

I've got just the one historic but I just have to play the hell out of it. As beautiful as it is - it feels even better!

See your point of view in some respects, they are not cheap. From my point of view - play it and enjoy but guess you need to do what you feel is right.

All the best! :)

PeteNJ75

I'm not sure the two are totally mutually exclusive. I play my guitars, but with the utmost care. I am just very careful with them and keep them as close to mint as possible. That's usually impossible, but most if not all of my guitars are in at least excellent condition, even my gigging guitars. Sure they have some tiny scratches in the clear coat, but no dings to really speak of. If you are really banging your historics around, more power to you, but that's not the way I want to treat my $5K+ guitars. Authentic wear is cool and all, but when I buy on the used market I want to buy guitars that have been played but pampered. I know this is all subjective, but that's just me.

thxphotog

Kinda like buying a car and not driving it to keep the miles down.

Play the paint off the buggers Chuck, and damn the re-sale value.

You may indeed be a little poorer, but a whole lot happier.

:biggrin:

This is it exactly. I used to keep my favorite guitars in their cases in closets and only take them out to play in my house them give them a wipe with a cloth diaper and return them to their case. My wife convinced me to drag them out and hang them for display and easy access. Not exactly the same but point is to enjoy them!!

wJI2hzl.jpg

ChuckR9

Nice man cave! I am playing my R9 and Hummingbird more. Now if I can find people to play with in my area, not easy to do.

gregc

No guitars I can't play; no motorcycles I cannot ride, and no cars I cannot drive. If that was the case, then the stuff is just out of my league
and I feel I have no business with it. Enjoy your stuff. It's stuff. I had a couple guitars I kind of felt like that about. I didn't hold them long. Off hey went. It wasn't really any fun.