The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever have a guitar you don't play due to value?

Hi, I have a bourbon burst R9 in mint condition I love, but I don't play it because if I ever have to sell it I am trying to keep it mint. Is anyone else in that boat?
    It seems dumb, but I've had to sell a bunch of equipment recently, including a bunch of Les Pauls and people want a mint guitar for nothing, including R8 & R9, I sold 2 R8 and 1 R9 recently. I have other guitars, a hummingbird(same story, mint like new don't play much), a Firebird V (mint), a 30 year Strat and some other cheaper stuff, tone king amps, etc. It's nuts I know but I'm putting out there.

Re: Ever have a guitar you don't play due to value?

In a word...no. I buy them to play. I gig them regularly, and that included a Rossington, which was one of only four left handed Rossingtons made. You're likely lose money when you sell anyway, so play it and have fun!

No.
    Why'd you buy it?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Not really.

I stopped taking the vintage stuff out to gigs years ago, but they get plenty of play around the house.

A guitar that just sits in its case isn't much value to me.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Kinda like buying a car and not driving it to keep the miles down.

Play the paint off the buggers Chuck, and damn the re-sale value.

You may indeed be a little poorer, but a whole lot happier.

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Nope. Life's too short to save the good stuff for the next guy. If the original Jensens on my VR don't fail at the end of my final gig I've failed.

Thanks for the feedback, I do play it, but not every day, but everyone except for Big Al made sense, thanks.
    Anyone want to see it?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR9 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I do play it, but not every day, but everyone except for Big Al made sense, thanks.
    Anyone want to see it?
    Chuck
    Why'd you buy it? to make sense is, did you buy it as a musical instrument or some imagined investment for profit? That motivation would lead to a clearer answer. What kind of $$$ gain do you expect? And perhaps most perplexing is it seems that you expect used, preowned gear to sell the same as unused NOS or new?

If you are investing, in newer guitars, limited issue, CC, Artist Models may be better investments.

Buying used, at fair or good prices, as you found out, would allow you to play without losing value as used prices hold steady and often rise over time.

But it all really depends on why you bought it now, doesn't it?
    The older I get, the better I was.

If you are afraid to play it, you overspent and you are not comfortable with it.

Kind of reminds me of the guy on ebay who would wear white gloves so he wouldn't get fingerprints on the guitar. WTF.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Why did I buy a Gibson Les Paul R9? I actually had 2 R8 and 2 R9 in mint condition.
    I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and I love guitars and especially Gibson Les Pauls. I have owned dozens of Gibson Les Pauls along with a lot of other Gibsons. I really love the R8 and R9, I had 2 R8 and 2R9 until recently when I had a family emergency and had to sell a lot of my guitars mostly Les Paul Customs, Les Paul Standards, a Slash Les Paul , amps, etc.
    If you have ever had a family emergency and had to part with a bunch of guitars and amps you love you probably would understand what that is like. I guess it made me more protective of the few I have left.
    I never played my guitars with white gloves, sorry.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ourmaninthenorth View Post
    ...or marrying a supermodel......and not bespoiling her because the next guy won't be interested.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Why did I buy a Gibson Les Paul R9? I actually had 2 R8 and 2 R9 in mint condition.
    I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and I love guitars and especially Gibson Les Pauls. I have owned dozens of Gibson Les Pauls along with a lot of other Gibsons. I really love the R8 and R9, I had 2 R8 and 2R9 until recently when I had a family emergency and had to sell a lot of my guitars mostly Les Paul Customs, Les Paul Standards, a Slash Les Paul , amps, etc.
    If you have ever had a family emergency and had to part with a bunch of guitars and amps you love you probably would understand what that is like. I guess it made me more protective of the few I have left.
    I never played my guitars with white gloves, sorry.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    I hear you loud and clear.

For me it doesn't make me more protective of the survivors, rather it makes me more appreciative.

The only way I know how to express that appreciation is by playing 'em.

Unless you've got sandpaper hands, you ain't gonna hurt 'em.

As second hand, most of the showroom value's already walked through the door...

Play 'em Chuck.

And Yes, we do want to see 'em.

Welcome aboard.

Why yes actually. This.

While it plays well and looks fantastic I took the strings off'n it a while back and was waiting to change the pickups again.

The bridge saddles are held in by the strings so it has to be re-intonated.

But it is such a useful tool as a bludgeon that I carry it on my journeys through the mountains in Wyoming as protection 'gainst baars and mountain run 'gators 'n bullsharks.

It has kilt many!

All the while not getting a scratch on that thick coat of polyurethane!

It IS a keeper and its value keeps climbing.

A collectors item fer shure!

So I don't play it much, but still use it so I feel your pain paddywan...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...hlight=Hohoner

Les Paul Forum Member

I myself would play them as long as I liked them from the get go and they played nice , sounded nice , looked nice and checked all of my boxes I would not care how old or how valuable they are because if I have them and I spent mucho coin to purchase them there is no way I would not play them .

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Why yes actually. This.

While it plays well and looks fantastic I took the strings off'n it a while back and was waiting to change the pickups again.

The bridge saddles are held in by the strings so it has to be re-intonated.

But it is such a useful tool as a bludgeon that I carry it on my journeys through the mountains in Wyoming as protection 'gainst baars and mountain run 'gators 'n bullsharks.

It has kilt many!

All the while not getting a scratch on that thick coat of polyurethane!

It IS a keeper and its value keeps climbing.

A collectors item fer shure!

So I don't play it much, but still use it so I feel your pain paddywan...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...hlight=Hohoner
    A Pauly Shore signature model ? Very Cool ! Master Kanobi

As a matter of fact, yes! I purchased a 2003 R9 BRZ back in late 2003. Still has the original strings on it. At the time I had put real 1961 PAF’s in my 2002 R8 and from that point on I was spoiled for real PAF’s. I decided to wait until I purchased another set of PAF’s for the 2003 R9 BRZ before starting to play it, but picking up another set of PAF’s never happened. So the 2003 R9 BRZ has been sitting in the case waiting for some real PAF’s ever since. I should probably just sell it...
    Les Paul's, Marshall's, Corvettes! 'Nuff said.

Gibson: R8 '14, R9 BRZ '03, R8 '02, '89 Chet Atkins SST
    Fender: '57 Strat RI USA '82, '83, '03, '07, '05 Custom Shop
    Marshall: '71 JMP50, '80 2204, '84 2204, '88 1987S, '97 1987X WHITE, '99 JTM45, '06 2061X
    Marshall: '68 4x12 Basketweave, '74 4x12 Creambacks, '77 2x12 w/Alnico Blues, '83 2x12, '84 2x12, '88 4x12
    Fender: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '77 SFPR, '79 SFPR
    Transportation: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51, 2011 Jeep Patriot

Les Paul Forum Member

Sell all the stuff you don't use and take a vacation. That at least will last a lifetime in your memory.

Chuck, nobody called your question dumb. Some just found it curious or surprising and Al (you'll realize he is pretty great once you hang here for a bit) was just trying to dig a little deeper for some clarification and understand your situation a little better.

But most importantly, Welcome to the forum!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by asapmaz View Post
    Sell all the stuff you don't use and take a vacation. That at least will last a lifetime in your memory.
    For me the memory of the vacation is over once the vacation is over versus if you buy a guitar and you like/love it that will last a lifetime

I was just trying to get some advice and I have decided that I am going to play the h*** of it vs. just playing it once in awhile. It makes sense what people were saying. Thanks for the inputs from everyone.
    Chuck

Sadly, there are tons of people that do this.

Last year I was fortunate to buy my dream car. Itís red and Italian and I wonít mention the name but I think you know what Iím talking about.

It on had 2200 miles when I bought it and I was told if I kept the mileage under 5000 it woul be worth more when it came time to sell.

The hell with that! IĎve been waiting all my life for that car, and I going to drive the hell out of it. What am going to do, save it for someone else to enjoy? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger65 View Post
    Sadly, there are tons of people that do this.

Last year I was fortunate to buy my dream car. It’s red and Italian and I won’t mention the name but I think you know what I’m talking about.

It on had 2200 miles when I bought it and I was told if I kept the mileage under 5000 it woul be worth more when it came time to sell.

The hell with that! I‘ve been waiting all my life for that car, and I going to drive the hell out of it. What am going to do, save it for someone else to enjoy? No thank you.
    Someone, somewhere...and hopefully not for many many years, will realise that your motor was loved and enjoyed, and not kept under a dust sheet.

I think it's called legacy; you're part of your car's story, and it sounds to me like you're writing a chapter called "lived experience"

I hope you put 100.000 miles on the clock.

Bloody good on you.

Someone, somewhere...and hopefully not for many many years, will realise that your motor was loved and enjoyed, and not kept under a dust sheet.
    Someone, either here or on another forum, mentioned that they were going to seldom play a guitar to keep down the wear and tear because they were going to pass it down to another generation at some point. I mentioned that the most wonderful thing about the mandolin that my grandfather passed down to me is the wear that he put on it! Seeing where his thumb and forefinger wore the finish down to the wood is an awesome memory of my grandfather!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    ...or marrying a supermodel......and not bespoiling her because the next guy won't be interested.
    made my day

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Hi, I have a bourbon burst R9 in mint condition I love, but I don't play it because if I ever have to sell it I am trying to keep it mint. Is anyone else in that boat?
    It seems dumb, but I've had to sell a bunch of equipment recently, including a bunch of Les Pauls and people want a mint guitar for nothing, including R8 & R9, I sold 2 R8 and 1 R9 recently. I have other guitars, a hummingbird(same story, mint like new don't play much), a Firebird V (mint), a 30 year Strat and some other cheaper stuff, tone king amps, etc. It's nuts I know but I'm putting out there.
    My 2009 R9 was new and gloss when I bought it. I play it. I have buckle rash, nicks on the back of the neck. It's all me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    My 2009 R9 was new and gloss when I bought it. I play it. I have buckle rash, nicks on the back of the neck. It's all me.
    Love it!

Something about the journey of a once new guitar that becomes an old friend...

very cool.

I do have one guitar I won't gig much anymore--a 61 ES-335. I no longer take it to some of the crappy joints I play in...too worried about it getting stolen or broken (big band, small stages :( ). I still play it at better places where I'm not that concerned about theft or room on stage.

Normally, I gig with one of my two collectors choice guitars. They're both banged up already, which was part of their appeal to me...don't have to worry about an more dings, nicks, buckle rash, etc. Love 'em!

Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Les Paul Forum Member cincyguitar's Avatar

My new LP trad Pro.....I am always worrying about scratching it......so many guys like a relic guitar but I like it nice and shiny....just gonna give up and play the heck out of it from today on....

Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyguitar View Post
    My new LP trad Pro.....I am always worrying about scratching it......so many guys like a relic guitar but I like it nice and shiny....just gonna give up and play the heck out of it from today on....
    That is how I felt about my new CS9. I bought it used, but it was perfectly mint without a scratch or ding. (I don't know how the previous owner, a professional musician, who took it on gigs, did it for 4 years.) It's my first serious, expensive guitar. I've turned it into a Beano replica with OX4s and Grovers and it is just the perfect player for me.

Anyways, I had it for a month and was super careful with it at all times and didn't want to take it to my guitar lessons since the lesson rooms are super small and it was just a matter of time before it bumped into a wall or sheet music stand. Then, I accidentally bumped the corner of the headstock against a wall while trying to get my amp to feedback at home. Then, I had a butter fingers moment about a month later when tweaking the pickup heights and the Gibson multitool slipped out of my hand and put a tiny ding in the clearcoat on the lower bout of the top.

I've just accepted that its going to get dinged and scratched since I play it everyday. The recent image dump of pictures of Jimmy Page's Number 1 and others at the MET made realize how worn those iconic guitars are up close. I'm now looking forward to this one getting beat, ambered, and checked over the coming years.

If you have more guitars to rotate between, that reduces the wear on each one.

Les Paul Forum Member Blackie59's Avatar

I only have an R8 I bought a couple of years ago and I play it all the time. Itís got binding bleed all over the neck, where my arm rests on the top, and on the binding where it sits on my leg. The top is starting to look like it has reverse fading. Itís getting redder in places rather than fading like a vintage top. Itís a great guitar and I donít care who gets it after Iím gone. My kids can figure that out themselves.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

I've never done it, but in years surfing "for sale" stuff like everyone else I see the people who have that frame of mind. I don't blame them, y'all know the sales spiel in person of buying random stuff for collector's stake on to some of the customer base. Back up north I gave lessons to and know a fella with 30+ PRS's (fancy USA ones) and as far as I'm concerned he's bankrolled his local GC's "platinum room." This guys main squeeze was a normal strat. Doesn't bother me a bit...yet when ya've 400 guitars and "bought them for playing" it's tough no to think that mentality is a huge leap of faith/logic! Again, nothing wrong with owning ****, just "knowing thyself" or living in what we call "reality" must set in at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    I've never done it, but in years surfing "for sale" stuff like everyone else I see the people who have that frame of mind. I don't blame them, y'all know the sales spiel in person of buying random stuff for collector's stake on to some of the customer base. Back up north I gave lessons to and know a fella with 30+ PRS's (fancy USA ones) and as far as I'm concerned he's bankrolled his local GC's "platinum room." This guys main squeeze was a normal strat. Doesn't bother me a bit...yet when ya've 400 guitars and "bought them for playing" it's tough no to think that mentality is a huge leap of faith/logic! Again, nothing wrong with owning ****, just "knowing thyself" or living in what we call "reality" must set in at some point.
    It's a different game when you get into mega sized collections.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    It's a different game when you get into mega sized collections.

Damn straight!

Les Paul Forum Member mustachio's Avatar

My tech always used to say to me, “You’re my favorite pain in the ass because you play the fuck out of your guitar. You always want something necessary done to your nice guitars, but you play ‘em.” I don’t mod my guitars much anymore other than Faber tailpieces, etc. But parts, plastics, stock pickups are light years ahead of 2010 specs. But, I beat the piss out of my instruments. That’s how they get their voice.

But not playing them in dives is a different story. Most J.Q. Public knows what a nice Les Paul is. And bringing one in a sketchy coke bar is tempting fate. That’s what Tele’s are for. And their pick guards are flatter and black. Good contrast. That’s real aging.
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

Nope, I pay to play!! I wouldn't have bought it, if I wasn't going to play it!!!
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    No.
    Why'd you buy it?
    Fully agree. WHY?

The thing will never be worth a fortune anyway, so play the thing.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Yes, I have a few.
    Some of my old stencil guitars are unplayable. They aren't worth enough to make playable. So, they are wall hangers and very enjoyable.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member mustachio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post

Yes, I have a few.
    Some of my old stencil guitars are unplayable. They aren't worth enough to make playable. So, they are wall hangers and very enjoyable.
    valuable is subjective. I canít say I have the pleasure of a vintage burst (cough, cough!), and if I had, I would play it....very carefully. 👍
    "...it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." Lennon-McCartney

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
    valuable is subjective. I canít say I have the pleasure of a vintage burst (cough, cough!), and if I had, I would play it....very carefully. 👍
    Yes, I do play mine and carefully.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com