The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ever have a guitar you don't play due to value?

Here's a quick picture of my R9 in question. As I said earlier, I am playing it now. Thanks.R9.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

No, I would never have a guitar car or wife I didnt play.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    For me the memory of the vacation is over once the vacation is over versus if you buy a guitar and you like/love it that will last a lifetime
    You might be taking the wrong vacations...

First thing I do if I have a guitar that I love is bounce keys off it. Done, now lets play.

Personally I hate mint guitars. It's like a stiff unbroken baseball mitt, denim or worse: a shiny BBQ top PRS. If I'm buying a used guitar from a private owner that's more than 2 years old and there's 0 wear, my first thought is that it's tonally a dog.

I don't think I have anything in common with people who want a mint shiny used guitar and OCD about their R8 or R9 guitar purchase as if its some sort of investment. You must be kidding me. Seriously, if that's your mindset invest 5k in SPY shares and go buy an epiphone. Thank me later.

It's funny that some of these same over anal types would spend extra to have the valet at Gibson razor blade, key bounce and sand their new mint guitar. I wonder how they can tell artificial factory wear from authentic wear. Hey OP, there's your answer. Buy a Gibson pre aged guitar, then it will always be mint.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    ...or marrying a supermodel......and not bespoiling her because the next guy won't be interested.
    Lol. How is a supermodel bespoiled?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR9 View Post
    Here's a quick picture of my R9 in question. As I said earlier, I am playing it now. Thanks.R9.jpg
    That's good, because that PRS style quilt top will do more to devalue a historic than anything you could do short of taking power tools to it.

Seriously though, using due care to preserve an instruments value is one thing. Emergencies can and do crop up, but not playing and enjoying a guitar defeats the purpose of owning it. The best advice I can give is to thoroughly enjoy those things and people in your life that bring you joy before you can't. We're not here for forever, in fact, life is pretty fvcking short.