• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ever have a guitar you don't play due to value?

ChuckR9

Hi, I have a bourbon burst R9 in mint condition I love, but I don't play it because if I ever have to sell it I am trying to keep it mint. Is anyone else in that boat?
It seems dumb, but I've had to sell a bunch of equipment recently, including a bunch of Les Pauls and people want a mint guitar for nothing, including R8 & R9, I sold 2 R8 and 1 R9 recently. I have other guitars, a hummingbird(same story, mint like new don't play much), a Firebird V (mint), a 30 year Strat and some other cheaper stuff, tone king amps, etc. It's nuts I know but I'm putting out there.
:dang

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
In a word...no. I buy them to play. I gig them regularly, and that included a Rossington, which was one of only four left handed Rossingtons made. You're likely lose money when you sell anyway, so play it and have fun!

sonar

Not really.

I stopped taking the vintage stuff out to gigs years ago, but they get plenty of play around the house.

A guitar that just sits in its case isn't much value to me.

ourmaninthenorth

Kinda like buying a car and not driving it to keep the miles down.

Play the paint off the buggers Chuck, and damn the re-sale value.

You may indeed be a little poorer, but a whole lot happier.

:biggrin:

Don

Nope. Life's too short to save the good stuff for the next guy. If the original Jensens on my VR don't fail at the end of my final gig I've failed.

ChuckR9

Thanks for the feedback, I do play it, but not every day, but everyone except for Big Al made sense, thanks.
Anyone want to see it?
Chuck

Big Al

Thanks for the feedback, I do play it, but not every day, but everyone except for Big Al made sense, thanks.
Anyone want to see it?
Chuck

Why'd you buy it? to make sense is, did you buy it as a musical instrument or some imagined investment for profit? That motivation would lead to a clearer answer. What kind of $$$ gain do you expect? And perhaps most perplexing is it seems that you expect used, preowned gear to sell the same as unused NOS or new?

If you are investing, in newer guitars, limited issue, CC, Artist Models may be better investments.

Buying used, at fair or good prices, as you found out, would allow you to play without losing value as used prices hold steady and often rise over time.

But it all really depends on why you bought it now, doesn't it?

J T

If you are afraid to play it, you overspent and you are not comfortable with it.

Kind of reminds me of the guy on ebay who would wear white gloves so he wouldn't get fingerprints on the guitar. WTF.

ChuckR9

Why did I buy a Gibson Les Paul R9? I actually had 2 R8 and 2 R9 in mint condition.
I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and I love guitars and especially Gibson Les Pauls. I have owned dozens of Gibson Les Pauls along with a lot of other Gibsons. I really love the R8 and R9, I had 2 R8 and 2R9 until recently when I had a family emergency and had to sell a lot of my guitars mostly Les Paul Customs, Les Paul Standards, a Slash Les Paul , amps, etc.
If you have ever had a family emergency and had to part with a bunch of guitars and amps you love you probably would understand what that is like. I guess it made me more protective of the few I have left.
I never played my guitars with white gloves, sorry.
Thanks,
Chuck

ourmaninthenorth

Why did I buy a Gibson Les Paul R9? I actually had 2 R8 and 2 R9 in mint condition.
I've been playing guitar for over 50 years and I love guitars and especially Gibson Les Pauls. I have owned dozens of Gibson Les Pauls along with a lot of other Gibsons. I really love the R8 and R9, I had 2 R8 and 2R9 until recently when I had a family emergency and had to sell a lot of my guitars mostly Les Paul Customs, Les Paul Standards, a Slash Les Paul , amps, etc.
If you have ever had a family emergency and had to part with a bunch of guitars and amps you love you probably would understand what that is like. I guess it made me more protective of the few I have left.
I never played my guitars with white gloves, sorry.
Thanks,
Chuck

I hear you loud and clear.

For me it doesn't make me more protective of the survivors, rather it makes me more appreciative.

The only way I know how to express that appreciation is by playing 'em.

Unless you've got sandpaper hands, you ain't gonna hurt 'em.

As second hand, most of the showroom value's already walked through the door...

Play 'em Chuck.

And Yes, we do want to see 'em.

Welcome aboard.

renderit

Why yes actually. This.

35686599954_16a57098a1_b.jpg

While it plays well and looks fantastic I took the strings off'n it a while back and was waiting to change the pickups again.

The bridge saddles are held in by the strings so it has to be re-intonated.

But it is such a useful tool as a bludgeon that I carry it on my journeys through the mountains in Wyoming as protection 'gainst baars and mountain run 'gators 'n bullsharks.

It has kilt many!

All the while not getting a scratch on that thick coat of polyurethane!

It IS a keeper and its value keeps climbing.

A collectors item fer shure!

So I don't play it much, but still use it so I feel your pain paddywan...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?156517-Review-My-newest-fiddle&highlight=Hohoner

El Gringo

I myself would play them as long as I liked them from the get go and they played nice , sounded nice , looked nice and checked all of my boxes I would not care how old or how valuable they are because if I have them and I spent mucho coin to purchase them there is no way I would not play them .

El Gringo

Why yes actually. This.

35686599954_16a57098a1_b.jpg

While it plays well and looks fantastic I took the strings off'n it a while back and was waiting to change the pickups again.

The bridge saddles are held in by the strings so it has to be re-intonated.

But it is such a useful tool as a bludgeon that I carry it on my journeys through the mountains in Wyoming as protection 'gainst baars and mountain run 'gators 'n bullsharks.

It has kilt many!

All the while not getting a scratch on that thick coat of polyurethane!

It IS a keeper and its value keeps climbing.

A collectors item fer shure!

So I don't play it much, but still use it so I feel your pain paddywan...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?156517-Review-My-newest-fiddle&highlight=Hohoner

A Pauly Shore signature model ? Very Cool ! Master Kanobi

BIG Dave

As a matter of fact, yes! I purchased a 2003 R9 BRZ back in late 2003. Still has the original strings on it. At the time I had put real 1961 PAF’s in my 2002 R8 and from that point on I was spoiled for real PAF’s. I decided to wait until I purchased another set of PAF’s for the 2003 R9 BRZ before starting to play it, but picking up another set of PAF’s never happened. So the 2003 R9 BRZ has been sitting in the case waiting for some real PAF’s ever since. I should probably just sell it...

asapmaz

Sell all the stuff you don't use and take a vacation. That at least will last a lifetime in your memory.

sonar

Chuck, nobody called your question dumb. Some just found it curious or surprising and Al (you'll realize he is pretty great once you hang here for a bit) was just trying to dig a little deeper for some clarification and understand your situation a little better.

But most importantly, Welcome to the forum! :salude

El Gringo

Sell all the stuff you don't use and take a vacation. That at least will last a lifetime in your memory.

For me the memory of the vacation is over once the vacation is over versus if you buy a guitar and you like/love it that will last a lifetime

ChuckR9

I was just trying to get some advice and I have decided that I am going to play the h*** of it vs. just playing it once in awhile. It makes sense what people were saying. Thanks for the inputs from everyone.
Chuck