• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 LP Burst, "Scarface" šŸ”„

Wvintage_63

Hey guys

Thought I would shed some light on the repair work as it was done by my Luthier (Piers Crocker) in Newcastle NSW, 1988. Piers has done some amazing work on old guitars in Aus and is a vintage nerd like all of us.
How i know this is I saw the original pickguard to this burst which had multiple holes for the switching, my guess is the current guard is a period correct replacement. Piers also had pics of before and after (from memory) which id love to get a hold of.

I think 150k is pretty fair for a guitar with extensive repairs, maybe just me :hmm

Joel

sws1

I how extra would they have to pay over $150K, as a buyer's premium? :hmm

Mecum's premiums vary by auction type and payment method. I can't find out how much it was for Guitars, and whether or not the 150k included the premium or not.

AA00475Bassman

I how extra would they have to pay over $150K, as a buyer's premium? :hmm
You need to call Mecum as to lot number location of auction what level your membership is Tom this is not black & white .

Ive been told from a reliable source as high as 35% on some cars !

agogetr

for some reason that repair doesnt bother me to much. a busted headstock or a cracked heal would bother me worse. it has a really nice top that kind of makes up for the hidden repair. it only went to 150? seams like it would have brought 200 because of the nice top.

sws1

for some reason that repair doesnt bother me to much. a busted headstock or a cracked heal would bother me worse. it has a really nice top that kind of makes up for the hidden repair. it only went to 150? seams like it would have brought 200 because of the nice top.

See my post above. It closed at $212k...after the public auction was done.

agogetr

Hey guys

Thought I would shed some light on the repair work as it was done by my Luthier (Piers Crocker) in Newcastle NSW, 1988. Piers has done some amazing work on old guitars in Aus and is a vintage nerd like all of us.
How i know this is I saw the original pickguard to this burst which had multiple holes for the switching, my guess is the current guard is a period correct replacement. Piers also had pics of before and after (from memory) which id love to get a hold of.

I think 150k is pretty fair for a guitar with extensive repairs, maybe just me :hmm

Joel
i have an original burst guard. although its framed and les paul etched his name in it. he did it for my friend in the fifties. i might sell it... however ..acording to my wife i want to much for everything i sell.

agogetr

See my post above. It closed at $212k...after the public auction was done.
seems like that was a sleeper deal. unless you talk to a millenial. however i think when junior millenial inherits senior boomers money all of the sudden he may want the real version of all of the 'custom' shop copies he has been buying.. hence..the circle of life

Wvintage_63

seems like that was a sleeper deal. unless you talk to a millenial. however i think when junior millenial inherits senior boomers money all of the sudden he may want the real version of all of the 'custom' shop copies he has been buying.. hence..the circle of life

Yeah did seem like it got a fair value.
I think youll find plenty of younger vintage collectors who have worked hard for their gear, myself included. :)