• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 LP Burst, "Scarface" 🔥

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
It is. And it sounded great.

HmQPugt.jpg

So cool!!! That was a great day! David A

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I think it would be very difficult to make it “less obvious” without a refinish of the maple top. And that would be a shame considering how the rest of the top looks. The woodwork looks excellent. I think it’s killer with the pickguard on. And for me the pickguard should always be on:jim

Fantastic pictures, CMExchange! Maybe some of these could be added to the burst serial log?

Thank you a million times for the very kind words! The repair was done so well, and you'd never really know it unless someone told you it was done. Agreed too, this is VERY good wood! Davida@chicagomusicexchange.com

ourmaninthenorth

Never really know it? I guess you have rose coloured glasses.

It's a very deep and ugly injury that someone has inflicted upon this guitar. Bloody vandal.

The repairer has done his best.

But it's left a terrible scar, that'll take the eye patch of a guard to continually hide.

Aesthetically this guitar is compromised, and no amount of narrative fancy footwork is going to alter that reality.

I'm sure it won't bother the buyer.

zacknorton

Oh. I don’t know. I’d say the repair is easy to spot from just about any distance

The joint looks incredibly tight. Totally impressive. But the halo outline is super obvious.

Not like it matters. It’s all under the pickguard. Kind of perfect.

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Oh. I don’t know. I’d say the repair is easy to spot from just about any distance

The joint looks incredibly tight. Totally impressive. But the halo outline is super obvious.

Not like it matters. It’s all under the pickguard. Kind of perfect.

I agree, pretty perfect work!đź‘Š---David A

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Well, this baby is going on the block this week, Friday I believe. It's always the same thing for me, in every one of these situations: approach/avoidance conflict! I mean, honestly, how do you approach something like this?

Setting aside the obvious for now, on the one hand, this guitar is WAY more original than many that have been discussed recently (refins, renecks, weird complete rebuilds, etc). It also has a really killer top. Sounds plenty good, too. On the other hand, it's a later '60, and I'm sorry, but that is a Clownburst of the first rank, so any buyer better be clear than no one is ever going to mistake that finish for anything else. It's almost Day-Glo! So, late '60 with a great top: somewhere in the 2s...

Now for the 800 lb gorilla in the room: Yes, it's expertly done, and covered by the PG. But that thing is HUGE. Is it a deal breaker? For many (if not most). However, being able to overlook it for the right price gets you a Burst which is otherwise all there--tempting, no? Ah, the "right price", that's really where the rubber meets the road, innit? I fear that there is still a great distance between any buyer and what the seller wants, but we shall see...

P.S. the name: I pick Chop-Top, after the truly demented maniac from Texas Chainsaw Massacre II--much more exciting!

samsdad

Whats the Reserve On Scarface at the Mecum Kissimmee Florida Auction if Any ?

ADP

I can't believe nobody's talking about the fact that this amazing 'burst was made for export! There's a tiny little "Made in USA" at the very top of the headstock and to me, that truly makes this 'burst as cool as it is! From what I've been told it was one of only twelve sunbursts made for export and it was originally sent to Australia. It's a true piece of Les Paul history.

Maxmc

I can't believe nobody's talking about the fact that this amazing 'burst was made for export! There's a tiny little "Made in USA" at the very top of the headstock and to me, that truly makes this 'burst as cool as it is! From what I've been told it was one of only twelve sunbursts made for export and it was originally sent to Australia. It's a true piece of Les Paul history.
Originally sent to Australia! That has certainly made me sit up and take notice! I'd be really interested to know its life story. I hope the vandal wasn't one of my fellow countrymen. On the other hand, I just had a peek on Burstserial and I'm blowed if I can see "Made in the USA" at the top of the headstock, unless you need a magnifying glass.
0_7615-51-me.jpg

Last edited:

ADP

I just had a peek on Burstserial and I'm blowed if I can see "Made in the USA" at the top of the headstock, unless you need a magnifying glass.
It's there, I'm sure you can see it in real life, and yes it is THAT small. It also blacklights. It's a very tiny gold font - I've seen it with my own eyes in maybe 2016, though it could have faded completely away with all the morons they've let play it in the last few years. If I remember correctly I was at the Amigo guitar show in Chicagoland where I first saw it and I had brought the guitar over to Pete Farmer from Heritage and he and I looked at it pretty closely. That's where I originally heard about the handful of Sunbursts that were made for export with the tiny "Made in USA" above the serial number and almost touching the very top of the headstock. It's an absolutely amazing 'burst to be honest!

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
From what I've been told it was one of only twelve sunbursts made for export and it was originally sent to Australia.

I think there were more than that. This should have been stamped on the ones that went to Europe and Canada also.
Maybe 12 went to Australia in 1960?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It's a very tiny gold font - I've seen it with my own eyes in maybe 2016, though it could have faded completely away with all the morons they've let play it in the last few years.

All of the export stamps I have seen were lightly indented [in small font] into the finish above the serial number. They won't fade.

JPP-1

The name I’d pick for that guitar would be the Tranny-burst. It appears all good until you look under then pickguard. And then you’re just like WTF! Complete deal breaker for me. I’d rather something less pretty without the nasty surprise.

P.S. the name: I pick Chop-Top, after the truly demented maniac from Texas Chainsaw Massacre II--much more exciting!