• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Shell Pink Tele build:

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I received some inquiry about the Telecaster project I mentioned in another thread. Here are some photos

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Gimmie a second here
IMAG0609.jpg

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Before I completed the wiring. Notice the slight overhang of the neck pocket:
IMAG0586.jpg

jwguitar

That is is a beautiful color. I had an opportunity to purchase a shell pink tele but at that moment in time I thought black would look nicer. However, I have to say if I were to do it again I’d go for the pink.

The Shifter

Dang, that looks amazing. I'm really in danger of building one in every color looking at this.

Yeah, what are the specs? Body, neck, hardware, etc.?

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Love it! Where is the body from?

I honestly don't remember, lol
Back about 15 years ago I bought a B-stock Tele body from USACG & cloned it. From that I made about six or seven bodies of alder, ash, & mahogany. At one point I could tell which was which by the holes for the six string ferrules. The USACG body, being cut & shaped on a CNC machine, had all the holes drilled precisely. The first couple I did were crooked but I got better with each one. This one is pretty straight so it could be the USACG. It also has the "ledge" on the treble side of the neck pocket.
The pickups are Fender Pure Vintage '64. Lots of clean & clear tones out of these

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Dang, that looks amazing. I'm really in danger of building one in every color looking at this.

Yeah, what are the specs? Body, neck, hardware, etc.?
Thank you all for the compliments.
The hardware is just standard Fender fare, nothing special here. The neck is an Allparts Tele style maple & rosewood fingerboard (curved board).
Last spring a buddy let me borrow his '64 Tele RI for a bunch of gigs. I loved it so much I decided to build my own. The body was already finished & had been laying around the shop since 2006!
Kluson tuners
Bone nut
Fender-style string tree
RI bridge w/compensated brass saddles
Allparts mint green pickguard
250K pots w/a custom wiring schematic to put the volume first, then tone, & the switch in the back. The switch tip is some Bakelite cylinder & not a Fender make.
The jack cup is also not Fender but out of my parts bin. This one is very shallow. I don't like the Fender ones because they are too deep. I like to use a right angle plug & they don't work well w/the deep ones

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
In action last weekend at the Sequim Irrigation Festival:
spanky.JPG

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Thanks, Cliff. I recommend everyone build a Telecaster. Pretty easily done these days, & you learn so much.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Cool geetar, Cogs. I love Shell Pink color on Teles and Strats! :dude:

jrgtr42

Thanks, Cliff. I recommend everyone build a Telecaster. Pretty easily done these days, & you learn so much.

I've got plenty of ideas for guitars I would like to build - finding time, funds and materials is the trick, though.
My one worry about building from scratch would be getting everything lined up straight, and getting all the measurements right.

I've built a bass (well, finished and assembled; bought the body and neck) and want to do a couple gutiars. Thinking of Warmoth or such for the main parts.
I do have an idea that I want to do one with a carbon fiber top (just a layer over the wood for decoration, not structural.)
Anyone have an idea how to go about this? I don't want a quarter-inch of epoxy over everything. I want it as thin as possible while still getting that look.

Mike9

Great looking build - I built a shell pink strat years ago and need to fit another neck to it. I tell my grandson - "real men play pink guitars" :dude:

Cliff Gress

Inspired by Shifter and Cogs I ordered an alder body from MJT. I was assigned Wendy for the project and she was great, answering all my picky questions.

Here is the finished result.

3vftVcq.jpg

RAB

Sweet! MJT do great work! Now play the heck out of it to get a heavy relic look! :peace2