• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Basswood Les Pauls?

Daniel93

Hey guys.
I saw ads for Tokai Les Pauls in a local music store. Only thing that worries me is that it's basswood body, not mahogany and maple neck. It has a good price. Round 300$. I know that they usually make superstrats from basswood with some hot pickups, but i plan to put some PAFs in this. What do you think? Can you get that classic LP sound?

http://www.tokai-guitars.nl/new-legacy-series.html

deytookerjaabs

Hey guys.
I saw ads for Tokai Les Pauls in a local music store. Only thing that worries me is that it's basswood body, not mahogany and maple neck. It has a good price. Round 300$. I know that they usually make superstrats from basswood with some hot pickups, but i plan to put some PAFs in this. What do you think? Can you get that classic LP sound?

http://www.tokai-guitars.nl/new-legacy-series.html

For future reference you wanna post non-Gibson stuff in that section, no big deal.

As for the Chinese Tokai, I can't imagine it'd be a world's difference from your basic Epiphone though it might have some more basic Les Paul specs than the Epi but I don't know for sure.

sonar

In a very general response I would say that basswood leans more toward alder as a tonewood. Not as bright of an attack as ash, but not as warm as mahogany.

Fwiw I've had good luck with basswood body Strats (a little darker than alder while sacrificing some cut) but that's a different world apart from LP's.

renderit

Basswood is plentiful, cheap and available in just about any size blocks you want.

It is a relatively grainless and featureless so it is a premium choice as a duck carvers and decoy carvers wood.

If you want your guitar to float in the pond it would be an excellent choice for playing in your canoe.

The extension cord to said conveyance may be problematic though...