• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Used reissue or newer standard

shatnersbassoon

Hi All,

I'm in the market for my first 'proper' Les Paul.
I currently have a LP Studio, and whilst I love it, I've always hankered after a 'real' one.
Just received a small inheritance from a relative, and would like to spend it on something that I'll keep for many years to come.

The new 2019 50s Les Paul Standards seem to get great reviews and certainly look the part, but the cost of a new one puts be quite close to the cost of a used R8 reissue.
I haven't played either yet, but while my head says that a new or even used standard will be all I'll ever need, my heart shouts REISSUE!

I don't play in a band, only a bedroom noodler really (not a very good one either!), so a nice reissue will probably be wasted on me.

Has anyone been in a similar position?
I imagine I'd regret getting the standard over the reissue, but not the other way round! 🙂

Cheers, Matt

Froggie

Hey Matt,

I was in a similar position to you and I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a new LP a year or so ago.

I bought a 2016 R9 and got a good deal from Coda Music. I absolutely love it and have no regrets. I had a 2015 USA LP and I hated it - tuning issues, sound, neck size etc..

In my limited experience, I reckon there is still a gap in terms of build quality and the materials used between the new USA LPs and the Custom Shop re-issues.

I had to buy my guitar online so it may be easier for you in the UK to go and try a few different guitars.

Good luck and keep us updated.

El Gringo

Welcome , I would suggest going for the R8 because if you get the Standard in the back of your mind might be thoughts of a Custom Shop Les Paul . So I would say go for it because you only live once and if you got the funds go and get it and rock out and have fun because that's what it all about !

shatnersbassoon

Thanks Froggie,

The reissue certainly feels like the way to go.

I've seen a nice looking 2008 R9 for not much more than a 2013 R8.
I assume quality wise there won't be too much difference between the 2008 and 2013 (2012 excluded)
Is the older R9 worth the extra over the newer R8?

D'Mule

Hi All,

I'm in the market for my first 'proper' Les Paul.
I currently have a LP Studio, and whilst I love it, I've always hankered after a 'real' one.
Just received a small inheritance from a relative, and would like to spend it on something that I'll keep for many years to come.

The new 2019 50s Les Paul Standards seem to get great reviews and certainly look the part, but the cost of a new one puts be quite close to the cost of a used R8 reissue.
I haven't played either yet, but while my head says that a new or even used standard will be all I'll ever need, my heart shouts REISSUE!

I don't play in a band, only a bedroom noodler really (not a very good one either!), so a nice reissue will probably be wasted on me.

Has anyone been in a similar position?
I imagine I'd regret getting the standard over the reissue, but not the other way round! 🙂

Cheers, Matt

Here’s my 2 cents:

All Gibson Les Paul Standards have the potential to sound and play great.

Historic and Custom Shop LPs simply cost more due to more attention to detail, homage to vintage specs, and higher quality woods and parts.

If you love a shiney, new, modern guitar then you may not have a need for a historic. But if you appreciate the history of the guitar and the builders that create them, definitely go for the historic reissue. To you, it will feel and sound better and inspire you to play more.

IMHO, a used R8 is a great way to start. Not too expensive and already broken in so you can feel free to play out with them.

Used R9s are great too, but you will have to pony up the extra $1,000 to pay for the top.

Then start saving your pennies because soon enough you will want a brand new one...

kuwahara80

+1 for the used R8.
If they are in the same ballpark moneywise, i think the quality of the R8 will be better.

shatnersbassoon

Thanks for all the comments.

Following my heart rather than my head and trying to ignore the slight frown on the wife's face, I went to see an R9 yesterday afternoon.
It was a bit over my imposed budget, and I suppose I don't need to state the obvious but it followed me home! :)

No doubt I should have tried some more before committing to one, but this one looks, plays and sounds amazing. It's a 2008 that has never really been played.
I don't think my LP Studio is going to be getting played much from now on!

Patek

Haven’t read the OP or the replies but used R7/R8/R9/R0 > new standard

pay that little bit extra and get yourself an R8 and have a quality instrument for life that will improve with age

Froggie

Thanks for all the comments.

Following my heart rather than my head and trying to ignore the slight frown on the wife's face, I went to see an R9 yesterday afternoon.
It was a bit over my imposed budget, and I suppose I don't need to state the obvious but it followed me home! :)

No doubt I should have tried some more before committing to one, but this one looks, plays and sounds amazing. It's a 2008 that has never really been played.
I don't think my LP Studio is going to be getting played much from now on!

Congratulations. I had a quick google last night and there was nothing but positive reviews for the 2008 R9s. Was going to respond today but I’m too late 😂😂😂

try and post some pics when you get a chance 👍😀👍

shatnersbassoon

Congratulations. I had a quick google last night and there was nothing but positive reviews for the 2008 R9s. Was going to respond today but I’m too late 😂😂😂

try and post some pics when you get a chance 👍😀👍

Thanks Froggie,

Not a very good pic as I just took it when I got back last night.
Hopefully that's the right way to attach a picture!

IMG_20190509_182835.jpg

Froggie

I love it. Beautiful looking guitar.

Best of luck and enjoy.

To my mind there here is no comparison between your new guitar and the new standards.

Even when I’m too busy to play my R9 I love looking at it. So I think you’ve definitely make the right decision :salude

shatnersbassoon

I've been showing pictures of it to my colleagues at work today. Unfortunately none of them are guitarists so they just though I was weird :)

I loved playing the LP studio, but this one just feels special in the hands.
A keeper for sure!