• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fustration with finding a 2007 Standard

Zeo828

HI

To make a long story short I've owned several Les Pauls over the years, but I always seem to sell them. Anyway, my favorite year for the Standards is 2007 because that's the first year of the chambering and before they started to mess with the model in terms of tuners, locking jacks, chrome tulip tuners, wider and ugly headstock etc..

I like the chambered Les Pauls.

But it's been frustrating on reverb and ebay. One store is selling a 2007 Faded standard for $2500. Come on! I even offered $2000, which I think it s allot for it, and he declined.

I saw another late 2006 standard, which from what I read were chambered as well, and the guy is looking for $1900. There is a chip on the headstock corner, muck on the fretboard and I just don't think it's worth that much. I would think maybe $1500 to $1600, maybe $1700.

I'm just frustrated because people are just overpricing these guitars as they sit for months, unsold.

I know that the key is to be patient, but I just don't think any used Les Paul Standard made during these past 2 decades is worth over $1700. I just don't. Every standard I've bought I've always paid around $1500 to $1600. So now that i have the LP bug again, I'm shocked that these prices are so high.

I once saw a 2007 standard for $1500 shipped, a year ago, I should have jumped on it.

sonar

I’m a big fan of that era.

I was a few years removed from playing boat anchors for guitars in a band. A degenerative disc just makes a heavy guitar a really uncomfortable experience when standing up for more than 30-45 minutes. I always wanted a Les Paul and the stars seemed to align back in ’08, finding an ‘08 Standard Faded that checked all the boxes. Still have it (my only LP) albeit with a couple mods done to it over the years.

The Standard and Standard Faded went chambered in early/spring ‘06. Although the New Standard 2008 debuted in ‘08, old spec Standard and Standard Faded’s were also made in ‘08, so you have roughly a 2 year window if you want Chambered, but with the other, previous ‘02-‘08 specs.

The Custom Shop also made chambered LP’s and the few I’ve played were really good.

Zeo828

I'm looking at a 2006 made in December. Would that most likely be chambered? It was made in on the 341st day of that year.

zacknorton

supply & demand and scarcity.

Plus, What’s the hassle of the endless search worth?

Zeo828

supply & demand and scarcity.

Plus, What’s the hassle of the endless search worth?

Well I just like the 2007. I have a nice Martin, A Gibson Acoustic, and custom shop strat. Both acoustics are small bodied and light. Suffice to say that I like unbulky and light guitars.

So I am blessed with what I have, and grateful. So I'll just be patient and wait for that right one at a price that I like.

As I said, I'm looking at one now, a December 06 standard. I just think between the condition etc.. that it's a bit too high. He's asking for about $1900 shipped.

As for supply and demand.... $2500 for an 07 faded standard, while very a nice guitar for sure, is a bit too high in my opinion.

sonar

A 12/06 Stansard should be chambered. I write “should” as you can never be 100% with Gibson, but I’d be very confident it’s chambered.

I also agree greed the price is a little high. A regular ‘06 from that era should be around $1750. Oddly, the Faded’s are going for more.

Zeo828

A 12/06 Stansard should be chambered. I write “should” as you can never be 100% with Gibson, but I’d be very confident it’s chambered.

I also agree greed the price is a little high. A regular ‘06 from that era should be around $1750. Oddly, the Faded’s are going for more.

I think the faded's are going for more because they have some internet talk about them. I read how Gibson stopped production on them because the thin finish was making them sound too good, or that they are better than the regular fisihsed ones. Now that's all up to debate, and they are great guitars as I played one once, but not $2500 good.

Boss made a reverb pedal based on the famous Fender Reverb tank. When it came out it was sorta panned as too bright, "ok soounding" etc...

Now that it's out of production you see them going for about $200, and sometimes more. I remember when you could get a used one for $80. And to boot now people are saying how great that pedal was. I had one, it was ok, but yeah it was a little brash and bright.

So the faded ones now have a reputation as being a bit ore special. So be it.

But yeah the 06 should be chambered at that date, but with Gibson who knows. Right.

bern1

Same old story every time something cool comes into production and gains a reputation. I am not surprised that good fadeds are going up in price. They have a lot going for them and Larry Corsa also may have had something to do with making them more desirable. Three years of production some 10 years ago may qualify as a fairly narrow window. Many of the ones being advertised on Reverb are too heavy and yes, too expensive for what they are. That being said, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger if it is something you want and it ticks all the boxes. Pricing of five years ago no longer applies......unless you really try hard, certainly possible but it’s a lot of work.

Seem like the new line of Les Paul 50’s and ‘60’s are pretty cool and pretty reasonably priced?