• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

First LP Purchase Planned and Need Some Info

LPMeister

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to buy my 1st LP after playing guitar for over 30 years, but it appears that some of the most important information for me is not readily available, so I thought I would ask those with experience.

I am looking primarily at a used Studio based upon price point ($650-$800), but I am not married to the idea. If I need to spend more to get what I want, I am willing to do so.

So, my main concern is neck size or thickness. The only LP I have played enough to develop an opinion is a late 90's or early 2000's studio, but that guitar had a thicker neck than what I am interested in. I am on the "smaller" hand size and I find that a thick neck is just not for me. I owned a 1996 Epi Paul - a "standard" top shelf version, but it also had a thicker neck.

Is there a LP year/model that is known to have a thinner neck profile? I have been reviewing the 2019 models and the reviewers mention thinner neck profile on the Studios, but I don't know if they are actually "thinner" or just thinner than a Standard.

I plan to shop around and go play what I am interested in, but I live in the country so local options are limited. I will have to travel, so I am hoping to have some criteria when I do my research on what is available.

Anyways, any guidance on model/year that has a thin for a LP would be appreciated.