• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Syd Barrett

zacknorton

Sid Barrett willfully and knowingly ingested all manner of conscious expanding chemicals.

LSD did not single handedly send him into “madness”.

There were Many moving parts and contributing factors to Mr Barrett’s decline.

jrgtr42

Sid Barrett willfully and knowingly ingested all manner of conscious expanding chemicals.

LSD did not single handedly send him into “madness”.

There were Many moving parts and contributing factors to Mr Barrett’s decline.
Exactly right. He had some pretty heavy mental issues to start with.
The drugs didn't do him any favors - they likely exacerbated the existing issues.
By the time they let him go, he really wasn't capable of much by himself. Real sad situation there.
He never really recovered from it all.

SpencerD

Syd and Peter Green from the Fleetwood Mac band both became very ill. Mental disease is very real and very frightening.

mdubya

Pink Floyd's whole career rides on the coat tails of Syd's genius, imho.

Yes, I have known a few people pushed over the edge by psychedelic drugs. But those meal illnesses were already lurking.

Big Al

Pink Floyd's whole career rides on the coat tails of Syd's genius, imho.

Yes, I have known a few people pushed over the edge by psychedelic drugs. But those meal illnesses were already lurking.

An opinion shared by many but more myth than reality. Syd's single album with them while charming, wasn't a solo effort. The rest of the band proved their worth many times over and Syd was a tragic footnote, a hip reference wielded by hipper than thou muso's trying to impress and not some greater talent that the rest rode upon.

As often happens, these tragic figures and sad premature flame outs or deaths elevate the myth.

deytookerjaabs

I listen Piper at the Gates of Dawn and other early Floyd on occasion. The whole experience is eye opening. You've got these tunes with incredible movements in terms of their "rock band" progressiveness. One tune in....You'll have this effective sonic foundation of rhythmic scripted word along with some ostinato organ vamp followed by a groovy punky guitar then a modulation 1/2 step up leading up a m6th to a descending chromatic wail then into a muddy waters style minor stabs/licks on the i as the chords continue chromatic movement then the band chimes in with a syncopated/composed bridge to an effective droning melody on the guitar as the next part modulates up a major 3rd fooling into a pseud iv-v but the i goes back 1/2 step down where it came from and it goes on and on...!! ****ing wicked that Syd was if he wrote all that ****, genius, well before the tune is even over!!

I mean, he had some basic hit type poppy songs too but, damn, the guy was a grade A bonafide composer in his rock group format. The band went on to great things but to imagine at their young age Waters/whomever were near Syd's level of vision is a leap of faith as the direction they went in was quite different but just as effective yet it took'em a while to get there as anyone with an ear can see. It wasn't until "Echoes" that the Syd effect had truly worn off and they went about their merry way yet every aspect of their creative endeavors was already laid down long before they got funky.

Ooof, that Syd Barrett was a mother****er. To come up with all those tunes by ear that make most C grade rock'n'roll dudes just go "huh?" was his bag and he's still ACE at it 50+ years later :laugh2:

His was a future we'd all should have seen bear fruit.

The Who Smash

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Con1s6L275U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HI-TONE

Were any of you lucky enough to catch Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets?
They played several of Syd's songs and nothing from Dark Side of the Moon or later.

That early material has so much life left in it.
It was very cool.

mdubya

An opinion shared by many but more myth than reality. Syd's single album with them while charming, wasn't a solo effort. The rest of the band proved their worth many times over and Syd was a tragic footnote, a hip reference wielded by hipper than thou muso's trying to impress and not some greater talent that the rest rode upon.

As often happens, these tragic figures and sad premature flame outs or deaths elevate the myth.

Syd made them bona fide pop stars in England.

Nobody would have heard of them if he hadn't set the stage.

SpencerD

Were any of you lucky enough to catch Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets?
They played several of Syd's songs and nothing from Dark Side of the Moon or later.

That early material has so much life left in it.
It was very cool.

I did,great show.

Outside of the music nerd community ( which by definition includes posting members at this forum :yah) lots of people don't know how versatile/important as a band member Mason is as a musician.

Kinda like the rest of the Floyd guys -- Ain't no stories about Pink Floyd trashing hotel rooms,drunkass stupid behavior or anything like that ---- those guys worked! Hard! Their music sounds like them,much respect !:yah:dude::peace2

Big Al

Syd made them bona fide pop stars in England.

Nobody would have heard of them if he hadn't set the stage.

He flamed out 6months after the first album, [which I loved when I found it in 1969. There was one other kid in my High School that had SFOS and we bonded over our shared love for a band NO ONE cared about or even knew], had little impact and their fame came on the heels of live work, with Syds replacement.
His impact was brief and not enough to sustain the band, without their own merit and hard work.

The Who Smash

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/otyfo2KuaNQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LC_3tZkMA4k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RKHKEPWDC3I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

mdubya

He flamed out 6 months after the first album, [which I loved when I found it in 1969. There was one other kid in my High School that had SFOS and we bonded over our shared love for a band NO ONE cared about or even knew], had little impact and their fame came on the heels of live work, with Syds replacement.
His impact was brief and not enough to sustain the band, without their own merit and hard work.

Meh. They were already pop sensations in England and rode Syd's coat tails into their next iteration.

ourmaninthenorth

I've never quite got the genius of Syd to be honest.

I suppose you had to be there.

I was there for the Pink Floyd that I know and love.

Comparisons of who did what, to whom and where, are a bit of a waste of time for me personally.

We're all standing on the shoulders of some giant or other.

sonar

Very clever songwriter. I particularly liked his approach to cadence with lyrics.

Also, quite inventive with guitar parts considering his seemingly limited range on the instrument.