The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Volume Pot Shaft loose

My 2004 Custom LP has a very annoying signal cut out about halfway through the pot range on the Bridge pu but only when putting pressure on the knob from the bottom, which of course is how i turn the thing!

Having looked in a bit more detail and a liberal spraying of contact cleaner it appears the shaft of the pot is moving too much.

Does anyone know if these can be stripped down and fixed or should I swap out with new? Problem is the case just says Gibson, no spec

Volume swells are very EDM glitchy

Any help would be very welcome.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Volume Pot Shaft loose

It is possible to take a pot apart and they can sometimes be repaired. After removing the pot from the guitar you need to bend the tabs out that hold the metal casing on to remove it and then remove the circlip on the shaft to remove the shaft and wiper assembly. It's quite a fiddly job though and depending on what the fault is it may not be practical to repair it. They are not particularly expensive so replacement might be a simpler option.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    It is possible to take a pot apart and they can sometimes be repaired. After removing the pot from the guitar you need to bend the tabs out that hold the metal casing on to remove it and then remove the circlip on the shaft to remove the shaft and wiper assembly. It's quite a fiddly job though and depending on what the fault is it may not be practical to repair it. They are not particularly expensive so replacement might be a simpler option.
    Thanks for the advice, Ill give it a go, I think ill order a pot anyway, does anyone know what the pot spec is on a 2004 custom bridge?

Les Paul Forum Member

If it's a non custom shop guitar the volume pots will be 300K linear and the tone pots will be 500K log. If it's a custom shop model they will all be 500K log pots. If you have multimeter you can confirm the value by measuring the resistance across the outer 2 lugs when the pot is disconnected from the guitar.

EDIT: You also need to get the right shaft length, if it's a custom shop and the pots mount direct to the hole in the body they will be short shaft, if it's a non custom shop and the pots mount on a metal plate they will be long shaft.