The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Japanese Les Paul?

Hi everybody, a new to the Les Paul world man here. I've been offered a mid 80s Les Paul Standard made in Japan (?..). I'm a little confused, considering as far as I know there're no Gibsons factories in Japan. I have played with all kind of japanese Les Paul copies from cheap poor quality to excellent ones like Ibanez, Tokai, Greco, Edwards, Burny, but in all the years I have never heard of an original Japanese Les Paul Standard. Is this guitar a fake or genuine? Thanks!

Re: Japanese Les Paul?

I also have pictures of the guitar but the server doesn't let me post pictures from my PC.

Les Paul Forum Member

it could be a Epiphone made in Japan or an Orville made in Japan (both Gibson subbrands and legally allowed to have the les Paul logo on the headstock) or a Tokai Les Paul reborn, all other options most likely will be fake

Quote Originally Posted by fred dons View Post
    it could be a Epiphone made in Japan or an Orville made in Japan (both Gibson subbrands and legally allowed to have the les Paul logo on the headstock) or a Tokai Les Paul reborn, all other options most likely will be fake
    Thanks for answering - I know Japan made Les Paul copies are common (and some of them of quite good quality by the way) but this guitar wasn't Tokai, Orville, Epiphone, Hondo, Ibanez, Aria or whatever of the numerous Japanese brands making them - it stated ''Gibson'' on the head and ''Japan model'' on the thrust rod cover. Nevertheless I had to send it back because it was such a poor copy (I'm sure it's some chinese ''replica'') and in such a bad shape that it was almost unusable. Regards.

Les Paul Forum Member

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfan View Post
    Hi everybody, a new to the Les Paul world man here. I've been offered a mid 80s Les Paul Standard made in Japan (?..). I'm a little confused, considering as far as I know there're no Gibsons factories in Japan. I have played with all kind of japanese Les Paul copies from cheap poor quality to excellent ones like Ibanez, Tokai, Greco, Edwards, Burny, but in all the years I have never heard of an original Japanese Les Paul Standard. Is this guitar a fake or genuine? Thanks!
    What leads you to believe it was made in Japan? There were no Gibson's made in Japan... only Orville by Gibson and Epiphone, which were both clearly indicated on the headstock. Without 'clear' pix of what you're talking about its difficult to speculate.
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    What leads you to believe it was made in Japan? There were no Gibson's made in Japan... only Orville by Gibson and Epiphone, which were both clearly indicated on the headstock. Without 'clear' pix of what you're talking about its difficult to speculate.
    Did you read the first post? It has ''Japan Model'' on the thrust rod cover and seller was trying to sell it for ''a japanese Les Paul'' which I know never existed and that's why I wanted to search some info. Nevertheless I didn't buy this guitar. Thanks for all the answers.

Les Paul Forum Member

Did you read the first post? It has ''Japan Model'' on the thrust rod cover and seller was trying to sell it for ''a japanese Les Paul'' which I know never existed and that's why I wanted to search some info. Nevertheless I didn't buy this guitar. Thanks for all the answers.
    There are several places where the do individual design truss rod covers with anything you want written on them , so if I had to guess about the truss rod cover that would be it .

The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    There are several places where the do individual design truss rod covers with anything you want written on them , so if I had to guess about the truss rod cover that would be it .

Since then I saw other chinese copy with ''Made In Japan'' thrust rod cover - I think some chinese (not very good) copies come from the factory this ''Japan made'' way...

Les Paul Forum Member

Since then I saw other chinese copy with ''Made In Japan'' thrust rod cover - I think some chinese (not very good) copies come from the factory this ''Japan made'' way...
    Maybe so , but you can get any plastic truss rod cover engraved or imprinted with anything you want from multiple places .