The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member Bluezguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Posts
    65

    2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Folks,

    I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
    My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.
    2019 LP Standard Gold Top 50s
    2004 Firebird V
    2005 SG Standard
    2006 ES-335 Dot

  2. #2
    All Access/Backstage Pass hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    East of Mecca, in the Land of Gibson
    Posts
    1,828

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    To me, Gibson's new management has upped their game. The new Standards are quite good by my standards. I also played a USA Special LP today that was nearly Historic in quality. Very happy about where Gibson appears to be heading.
    <a href=http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z56/f5joe/2011%20Gibson%20LP%20R4/R4-avatar.jpg target=_blank>http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z.../R4-avatar.jpg</a>

  3. #3

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I understand they've dropped the prices on the new range and I presume second hand prices haven't changed to reflect it yet (or people are desperate to get the money back they paid before).

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    Folks,

    I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
    My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.
    Gibson is now being run by some folks in the right frame of mind.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
    My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.
    The new price is more realistic....plus Gibson wants people to come back to the brand and what better way than to have them at a good price?

    They kind of made the debut of the Standard at the Dallas show this weekend. Tone Shop Guitars (my current employer) has bought the Gibson booth and is selling them. They will also be at the shop on Monday.

  6. #6

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    The lefty r9 will that be available for sale on Monday? My friend is interested in it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    The new price is more realistic....plus Gibson wants people to come back to the brand and what better way than to have them at a good price?

    They kind of made the debut of the Standard at the Dallas show this weekend. Tone Shop Guitars (my current employer) has bought the Gibson booth and is selling them. They will also be at the shop on Monday.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Analoga1p View Post
    The lefty r9 will that be available for sale on Monday? My friend is interested in it.
    Depends. It will be there if its not sold at the show.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member supanorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    25

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Let’s not forget that what is now a Standard was once a Traditional. Still about $300 “Les” expensive, but not the price drop it appears to be.

    Now, the old Standard, which is the new Modern seems to have dropped in price by around $1000. Not sure about the differences in features, because I’ve never been interested in the modern electronics and switching. Needless to say, that’s a major price drop.

    I’ve seen a few of the new 50s and 60s Standards (I prefer the 50s fatter neck), and they are gorgeous. They play and sound like my 2019 Traditional, without the lower frets. That is to say they are fantastic.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Bluezguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Posts
    65

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Thanks everybody for your comments! My local GC in Clearwater just acquired the Gold top w/hummers. I'll be going there tonight to check 'er out (if she ain't taken first). Not a fan of BB pups but .. we'll see.
    2019 LP Standard Gold Top 50s
    2004 Firebird V
    2005 SG Standard
    2006 ES-335 Dot

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by supanorton View Post
    Let’s not forget that what is now a Standard was once a Traditional. Still about $300 “Les” expensive, but not the price drop it appears to be.

    Now, the old Standard, which is the new Modern seems to have dropped in price by around $1000. Not sure about the differences in features, because I’ve never been interested in the modern electronics and switching. Needless to say, that’s a major price drop.

    I’ve seen a few of the new 50s and 60s Standards (I prefer the 50s fatter neck), and they are gorgeous. They play and sound like my 2019 Traditional, without the lower frets. That is to say they are fantastic.
    I wanted to wait until i visited the Gibson booth at the Dallas show before responding to this. The new Standard isnt just a remaned Traditional. The new Standard is much different and better. The new price point is a great deal.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member supanorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    25

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    I wanted to wait until i visited the Gibson booth at the Dallas show before responding to this. The new Standard isnt just a remaned Traditional. The new Standard is much different and better. The new price point is a great deal.
    Other than the frets, what are the differences between the new Standards and the 2019 Traditionals?

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Palace of the King
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by supanorton View Post
    Other than the frets, what are the differences between the new Standards and the 2019 Traditionals?
    The Standard is not chambered. The neck is a 50s/60s profile. Medium jumbo frets. Nut Material.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member supanorton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Southeastern New York
    Posts
    25

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    The Standard is not chambered. The neck is a 50s/60s profile. Medium jumbo frets. Nut Material.
    I’m certainly not arguing that the new Standards anything but fantastic, but the 2019 Traditionals are also not chambered. No weight relief.

  14. #14

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    The Standard '50s has the Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups. It also has Kluson Deluxe style tuners and a bigger neck profile.
    The Standard '60s has Burstbucker 61 pickups (rhythm and lead). It also has Grover tuners, and a smaller neck profile.

    I was able to play a '60s today. Not what I want (I love fat necks), but all they had in stock so far. It had an absolutely gorgeous Bourbon Burst finish, sounded great, and I could find nothing to complain about from a fit and finish and setup point of view.

    I also picked up a 2019 Single Cut Junior, and the neck felt almost exactly like my 1957 VOS Junior. These will be very popular.

    One of my local stores has agreed to put my name on the first Heritage Cherry Burst '50s to come into stock. I don't know whether I will like the finish or not, but at least I will get to play one and see what I think. But if the neck is nice and big, and if the rest is similar to the '60s I played today, it might come home with me.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    47

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    The Standard is not chambered. The neck is a 50s/60s profile. Medium jumbo frets. Nut Material.
    The only differences between the new Standard 50's and the current Traditionals are:


    • Fingerboard binding is thinner in the Standard 50's (more period correct)
    • Supposedly the nut material since Traditionals say Tektoid and Standard 50's say GraphTec, but what is Tektoid really?


    Other than those two things (if Tektoid isn't really the same GraphTec thing) the two guitars are the same. Same frets, no weight relief, neck profile, etc. Now the Standard 50's comes in Gold Top and there's a P90 Gold Top version, those finish were not available as Traditional. What surprises me is that they are not offering an Ebony finish since it is a popular choice, black goes good with everything and not everybody likes the gold tops, and they can use non figured maple as with the gold tops.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member Bluezguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Posts
    65

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

    I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anythingOne bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.
    Last edited by Bluezguy; 05-09-19 at 09:18 AM. Reason: forgot a line
    2019 LP Standard Gold Top 50s
    2004 Firebird V
    2005 SG Standard
    2006 ES-335 Dot

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    47

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

    I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anythingOne bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.
    Congratulations!!! Don't forget to update us with photos

  18. #18

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Do these all have the long neck tenon?

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by zacknorton View Post
    Do these all have the long neck tenon?
    No.

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I got a 60 in unburst on Monday. I ordered it from Sam Ash last Thursday. It’s beautiful. Nice flame, plays like a dream.


    Attachment 9646

    I was expecting “unburst” to be a lemon burst or honey burst, but mine is more like a tea burst, which I find pleasing.

    Why did I go with 60s model?

    I like the thin neck.
    I wanted a faded look.
    I wanted the Grover tuners.

    My dream Les Paul is Eric Claptons “Beano.” Pictures taken during the Bluesbreakers recording session show that it had Grovers. I know that there are also pictures of EC playing a Les Paul with Cream, that has Klusons. But that’s a different instrument, perhaps a replacement for Beano after it was stolen.

    I just watched a Lee Anderton interview with Bernie Marsden where Bernie says that several people 5 would know told him that the Beast had once belonged to Clapton. He quoted Jack Bruce as saying “hello old friend” when he saw it in person. Marsden wasn’t completely convinced, but hoped to show it to EC.

    Besides I prefer the way Grovers work compared to Klusons.

    All in all I think Gibson has done a fantastic job with the original Les Paul series, they capture the spirit of the 58-60 with reasonable updates like the new nut material.
    Last edited by RDeNatale; 05-13-19 at 08:48 PM.

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North of Atlanta
    Posts
    38

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Are not the New Standard's more or less rebadged Traditionals? No weight relief, 50's or 60's necks, vintage style wiring, etc. If not, what makes them different? If so $2400.00 is close to what 2018 Traditionals were mapped at.

  22. #22

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I landed a 50's Std in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Weighs in at 9.11 lbs, and the neck measures .915 at the first fret and .975 (or was it .985) at the 12th fret. So probably approx like an R9. Plays great, and looks great. I was a little worried about the Cherry (as I once owned a 70's CLown Burst - hideous), but this red is deep and pretty. The tonal test will be Wed at the blues jam, but so far, it sounds wonderful.

    If the neck were larger, that would have been cool by me, but this is a nice full feeling neck and very comfy. Looking at the Wildwood site, this seems at the higher end of what they got in but not the biggest (some measure 1.03 at the 12th fret). The weight is lower end of the range (but not the lowest) on Wildwood last I looked (8.8 lbs to 10.65 lbs).

    2019-LP-Std.jpg

    2019-LP-Std-b.jpg

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by sliberty View Post
    I landed a 50's Std in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Weighs in at 9.11 lbs, and the neck measures .915 at the first fret and .975 (or was it .985) at the 12th fret. So probably approx like an R9. Plays great, and looks great. I was a little worried about the Cherry (as I once owned a 70's CLown Burst - hideous), but this red is deep and pretty. The tonal test will be Wed at the blues jam, but so far, it sounds wonderful.

    If the neck were larger, that would have been cool by me, but this is a nice full feeling neck and very comfy. Looking at the Wildwood site, this seems at the higher end of what they got in but not the biggest (some measure 1.03 at the 12th fret). The weight is lower end of the range (but not the lowest) on Wildwood last I looked (8.8 lbs to 10.65 lbs).

    2019-LP-Std.jpg

    2019-LP-Std-b.jpg
    That is a very beautiful Les Paul , I love the color , the neck profile , the solidbody , no weight relief , Kluson Deluxe gears, and over all a very good guitar with specs we want .

  24. #24

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by sliberty View Post
    I landed a 50's Std in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Weighs in at 9.11 lbs, and the neck measures .915 at the first fret and .975 (or was it .985) at the 12th fret. So probably approx like an R9. Plays great, and looks great. I was a little worried about the Cherry (as I once owned a 70's CLown Burst - hideous), but this red is deep and pretty. The tonal test will be Wed at the blues jam, but so far, it sounds wonderful.

    If the neck were larger, that would have been cool by me, but this is a nice full feeling neck and very comfy. Looking at the Wildwood site, this seems at the higher end of what they got in but not the biggest (some measure 1.03 at the 12th fret). The weight is lower end of the range (but not the lowest) on Wildwood last I looked (8.8 lbs to 10.65 lbs).

    2019-LP-Std.jpg

    2019-LP-Std-b.jpg
    Great looking guitar. Love the colour

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    60

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by RDeNatale View Post
    I got a 60 in unburst on Monday. I ordered it from Sam Ash last Thursday. It’s beautiful. Nice flame, plays like a dream.


    Attachment 9646

    I was expecting “unburst” to be a lemon burst or honey burst, but mine is more like a tea burst, which I find pleasing.

    Why did I go with 60s model?

    I like the thin neck.
    I wanted a faded look.
    I wanted the Grover tuners.

    My dream Les Paul is Eric Claptons “Beano.” Pictures taken during the Bluesbreakers recording session show that it had Grovers. I know that there are also pictures of EC playing a Les Paul with Cream, that has Klusons. But that’s a different instrument, perhaps a replacement for Beano after it was stolen.

    I just watched a Lee Anderton interview with Bernie Marsden where Bernie says that several people 5 would know told him that the Beast had once belonged to Clapton. He quoted Jack Bruce as saying “hello old friend” when he saw it in person. Marsden wasn’t completely convinced, but hoped to show it to EC.

    Besides I prefer the way Grovers work compared to Klusons.

    All in all I think Gibson has done a fantastic job with the original Les Paul series, they capture the spirit of the 58-60 with reasonable updates like the new nut material.
    Congrats! My dream Les Paul is also the Beano Burst. I was going to do the same and buy a standard 60s in Iced Tea or Unburst to be my tribute, but a near mint CS9 came up for sale locally that I got for a really good deal instead. Beano was an early 1960 so it still had a lot of carryover features from 1959 (ie. the old amber top hat knobs, the prone to fading 59 darker cherry sunburst, and probably a transitional neck profile). If you want to complete your Beano tribute, you'll need to swap out your reflector knobs for amber top hats. You may also want to install a different set of pickups. The stock Burstbucker 61s night be a touch too aggressive and Beano had the covers removed on its pickups (white bobbins in the neck and black in the bridge). OX4 and Wizz both make highly lauded Beano pickups meant to capture the look and sound of Clapton on the Beano album. I went for the OX4s for mine and they really nail the sound.

    If I recall correctly, the Beast was a Burst that Clapton picked up near the end of Cream or in Blind Faith and traded to someone else, which eventually was traded to Marsden. Clapton replaced the Beano Burst with the Summers Burst. There were two 1960 Bursts in the music shop where Clapton got Beano. Any Summers of the Police bought the other. After Beano was stolen, Clapton begged Andy to sell his to him and he eventually did. While he was waiting on Andy to sell it, Clapton borrowed Keith Richard's Burst (the one with the Bigsby tailpiece). The Summers Burst is the one that Clapton used to record Fresh Cream. It suffered a nasty headstock break. Clapton replaced it with the painted 64 SG "The Fool" in early 1967, which was his main guitar through early 1968. In or about 1968, Clapton started using Les Pauls again during Cream's final tours.

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    If I recall correctly, the Beast was a Burst that Clapton picked up near the end of Cream or in Blind Faith and traded to someone else, which eventually was traded to Marsden. Clapton replaced the Beano Burst with the Summers Burst. There were two 1960 Bursts in the music shop where Clapton got Beano. Any Summers of the Police bought the other. After Beano was stolen, Clapton begged Andy to sell his to him and he eventually did. While he was waiting on Andy to sell it, Clapton borrowed Keith Richard's Burst (the one with the Bigsby tailpiece). The Summers Burst is the one that Clapton used to record Fresh Cream. It suffered a nasty headstock break. Clapton replaced it with the painted 64 SG "The Fool" in early 1967, which was his main guitar through early 1968. In or about 1968, Clapton started using Les Pauls again during Cream's final tours.
    Yes, Lee Anderton had an interview with Bernie Marsden recently on YouTube, and Bernie said that he had heard that the Beast had been Clapton’s. He hadn’t discussed it with EC, but he did say that when Jack Bruce first saw it he said “hello old friend!”

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member Truss Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

    I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anythingOne bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.

    Congrats! I have been looking at the 2019's as well. I've talked to a lot of people that were at NAMM , and who have reviewed the new Les Pauls. ..looking forward to hearing your full review when you get it .

  28. #28

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    Folks,

    I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
    My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.
    They reduced the msrp of the new 'standard' range, but at the same time they've increased the price of the Juniors...

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member Coachmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Uniotown, Ohio
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Just got an Original Series 50's Goldtop with P90's.

    Non weight relieved, nickel hardware, non wire ABR 1, aged knobs with pointers, gold top is STUNNING. Supposed to be a 50's neck profile but I think my 04 R9 has a thicker neck.

    One thing I REALLY like is the nut and the way it's cut / tapered. The back cover plates are also smooth like they should be. I bought a new SG last year and it had the pebble grained back cover which looks stupid. Luckily I was able to find a smooth one. My SG also has CTS pots but this 2019 Goldtop has Gibson pots and they are mounted on the metal plate setup. Not real happy about that and will be changing them out eventually.

    The ABR -1 DOES NOT mount with the conventional single stud / thumbwheel setup. It has a thick insert very similar to the Nashville Bridge.

    I've never been a fan of weight relief and chrome hardware. I like the look of aged nickel and the Original series, for the most part, has every feature that Historics have and for 2 K less.

    I have some aging to do on the hardware and I have some aged PU covers coming.

    All things considered, I think Gibson has done a great job trying to give the consumers what they want.
    But it goes to ELEVEN !!


  30. #30

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coachmoe View Post
    The ABR -1 DOES NOT mount with the conventional single stud / thumbwheel setup. It has a thick insert very similar to the Nashville Bridge.
    I wonder if those posts screw into the inserts of a Nashville bridge, and if so how many ABR with these newer style posts Gibson can sell to all of us hankering after an ABR on our pre 2019 Standards.


  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member Bluezguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Posts
    65

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    FINALLY!!!!! The 2 month wait just came to an end. I just picked up my new LP Standard Gold TOP 50s. It's been one hour since it came out of the box. The Mona Lisa has nothin' on this guitar. It is PERFECT in every way!
    Neck, feel, fit, finish and resonance all score 101%. There's a reason I've been playing Gibsons since the mid 60s. Slobber, slobber drool. The Swiss Army knife that came with it is also a terrific idea!
    The action is set beautifully for my open G slide tuning but not so much for standard A440. Coincidentley, I bought this baby for open tunings slide work anyway.
    The case is nice however, you better take a file to the cheesy gold latches as they have a few sharp edges to them.

    Finally, for not really being a fan of BB pups, the BB1 & 2 really shine in this guitar. I play 65 RI Super Reverbs with guitar to cable to amp only. The tones are absolutely killer at low volume cleans and even more exciting at natural tube/speaker cone distortion when kicking 'er into gear. My Marshall Vintage Modern 100w with this Gold top... well ... all I gotta say is the fountain of youth is not a body of pouring water
    2019 LP Standard Gold Top 50s
    2004 Firebird V
    2005 SG Standard
    2006 ES-335 Dot

  32. #32

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
    FINALLY!!!!! The 2 month wait just came to an end. I just picked up my new LP Standard Gold TOP 50s. It's been one hour since it came out of the box. The Mona Lisa has nothin' on this guitar. It is PERFECT in every way!
    Neck, feel, fit, finish and resonance all score 101%. There's a reason I've been playing Gibsons since the mid 60s. Slobber, slobber drool. The Swiss Army knife that came with it is also a terrific idea!
    The action is set beautifully for my open G slide tuning but not so much for standard A440. Coincidentley, I bought this baby for open tunings slide work anyway.
    The case is nice however, you better take a file to the cheesy gold latches as they have a few sharp edges to them.

    Finally, for not really being a fan of BB pups, the BB1 & 2 really shine in this guitar. I play 65 RI Super Reverbs with guitar to cable to amp only. The tones are absolutely killer at low volume cleans and even more exciting at natural tube/speaker cone distortion when kicking 'er into gear. My Marshall Vintage Modern 100w with this Gold top... well ... all I gotta say is the fountain of youth is not a body of pouring water
    Sweet! Congrats!

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo88 View Post
    Congrats! My dream Les Paul is also the Beano Burst. I was going to do the same and buy a standard 60s in Iced Tea or Unburst to be my tribute, but a near mint CS9 came up for sale locally that I got for a really good deal instead. Beano was an early 1960 so it still had a lot of carryover features from 1959 (ie. the old amber top hat knobs, the prone to fading 59 darker cherry sunburst, and probably a transitional neck profile). If you want to complete your Beano tribute, you'll need to swap out your reflector knobs for amber top hats. You may also want to install a different set of pickups. The stock Burstbucker 61s night be a touch too aggressive and Beano had the covers removed on its pickups (white bobbins in the neck and black in the bridge). OX4 and Wizz both make highly lauded Beano pickups meant to capture the look and sound of Clapton on the Beano album. I went for the OX4s for mine and they really nail the sound.
    I’ve swapped out the knobs. I’m considering the OX4 Beano pups.

    I’m also probably be getting my soldering iron out and changing to vintage wiring. It has the right components, but the caps are connected to the ‘wrong’ lug on the volume pots.

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    12

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I'm really impressed with the new "Original Collection" LP Standards. I wasn't planning on getting one, but after I tried it I decided to trade in two guitars to get my Standard 50s. I think the 60th R9 are still a step up, but I think the new original collection bridges the gap between Gibson USA and Gibson Custom. I'm really happy with mine. Furthermore, some of the criticism I've heard have been addressed by Gibson. For instance, I noticed better conditioned board on the more recent batches and lately some that has a small felt covering the nut of pickguard to prevent it from dinging the top finish.

  35. #35
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    74

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Does anybody know if they are still cryogenically treating the frets like they did on last year's models?

  36. #36

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Bought my first Gibson last month and I could not be happier.

    2019 Standard Bourbon Burst:

    LesPaul2019.jpg


    Now I just need to learn how to play as good as this guitar looks .

    ED

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member CatManDoo88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    60

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by RDeNatale View Post
    I’ve swapped out the knobs. I’m considering the OX4 Beano pups.

    I’m also probably be getting my soldering iron out and changing to vintage wiring. It has the right components, but the caps are connected to the ‘wrong’ lug on the volume pots.

    Cool. You have any photos of this beauty you can share? I am really curious how it looks...

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,470

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    The Original Standards is what you can call " Re- Imagined " Model. It's happening all over the place. Just be known that the old are still around in used market if that's what you prefer.
    You might get an odd one off N.O.S. as well. Naming scheme is at play here with a few add on's and take away's here and there with materials/feel, looks and finish etc.
    Old WOOD Is Good WOOD !!!

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member ej.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    30

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    I just picked up a 50's gold top, phenomenal guitar:









    The pickups sound amazing. It plays great, the neck carve is perfect for me. 10 pounds, 1 ounce.

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member sonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,410

    Re: 2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

    Spent the afternoon at CME recently and compared the New Standards to the R's.

    The new Standard line has some nice guitars, with good neck profiles and decent looks, although most were too heavy for me. Two in particular would have competed with some old Norlins for secondary use as a boat anchor.

    The Reissue's I played were noticeably better in pretty much every way, but for 3 times the MSRP for a R9.

    Overalll, I don't think anything would change from past experience if shopping for a new USA Standard - play as many as you can and find the one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i