• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

shines2225

Are not the New Standard's more or less rebadged Traditionals? No weight relief, 50's or 60's necks, vintage style wiring, etc. If not, what makes them different? If so $2400.00 is close to what 2018 Traditionals were mapped at.

sliberty

I landed a 50's Std in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Weighs in at 9.11 lbs, and the neck measures .915 at the first fret and .975 (or was it .985) at the 12th fret. So probably approx like an R9. Plays great, and looks great. I was a little worried about the Cherry (as I once owned a 70's CLown Burst - hideous), but this red is deep and pretty. The tonal test will be Wed at the blues jam, but so far, it sounds wonderful.

If the neck were larger, that would have been cool by me, but this is a nice full feeling neck and very comfy. Looking at the Wildwood site, this seems at the higher end of what they got in but not the biggest (some measure 1.03 at the 12th fret). The weight is lower end of the range (but not the lowest) on Wildwood last I looked (8.8 lbs to 10.65 lbs).

2019-LP-Std.jpg

2019-LP-Std-b.jpg

El Gringo

I landed a 50's Std in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Weighs in at 9.11 lbs, and the neck measures .915 at the first fret and .975 (or was it .985) at the 12th fret. So probably approx like an R9. Plays great, and looks great. I was a little worried about the Cherry (as I once owned a 70's CLown Burst - hideous), but this red is deep and pretty. The tonal test will be Wed at the blues jam, but so far, it sounds wonderful.

If the neck were larger, that would have been cool by me, but this is a nice full feeling neck and very comfy. Looking at the Wildwood site, this seems at the higher end of what they got in but not the biggest (some measure 1.03 at the 12th fret). The weight is lower end of the range (but not the lowest) on Wildwood last I looked (8.8 lbs to 10.65 lbs).

View attachment 9660

View attachment 9661

That is a very beautiful Les Paul , I love the color , the neck profile , the solidbody , no weight relief , Kluson Deluxe gears, and over all a very good guitar with specs we want .

Froggie

View attachment 9660

View attachment 9661

Great looking guitar. Love the colour :salude

CatManDoo88

I got a 60 in unburst on Monday. I ordered it from Sam Ash last Thursday. It’s beautiful. Nice flame, plays like a dream.

View attachment 9646

I was expecting “unburst” to be a lemon burst or honey burst, but mine is more like a tea burst, which I find pleasing.

Why did I go with 60s model?

I like the thin neck.
I wanted a faded look.
I wanted the Grover tuners.

My dream Les Paul is Eric Claptons “Beano.” Pictures taken during the Bluesbreakers recording session show that it had Grovers. I know that there are also pictures of EC playing a Les Paul with Cream, that has Klusons. But that’s a different instrument, perhaps a replacement for Beano after it was stolen.

I just watched a Lee Anderton interview with Bernie Marsden where Bernie says that several people 5 would know told him that the Beast had once belonged to Clapton. He quoted Jack Bruce as saying “hello old friend” when he saw it in person. Marsden wasn’t completely convinced, but hoped to show it to EC.

Besides I prefer the way Grovers work compared to Klusons.

All in all I think Gibson has done a fantastic job with the original Les Paul series, they capture the spirit of the 58-60 with reasonable updates like the new nut material.

Congrats! My dream Les Paul is also the Beano Burst. I was going to do the same and buy a standard 60s in Iced Tea or Unburst to be my tribute, but a near mint CS9 came up for sale locally that I got for a really good deal instead. Beano was an early 1960 so it still had a lot of carryover features from 1959 (ie. the old amber top hat knobs, the prone to fading 59 darker cherry sunburst, and probably a transitional neck profile). If you want to complete your Beano tribute, you'll need to swap out your reflector knobs for amber top hats. You may also want to install a different set of pickups. The stock Burstbucker 61s night be a touch too aggressive and Beano had the covers removed on its pickups (white bobbins in the neck and black in the bridge). OX4 and Wizz both make highly lauded Beano pickups meant to capture the look and sound of Clapton on the Beano album. I went for the OX4s for mine and they really nail the sound.

If I recall correctly, the Beast was a Burst that Clapton picked up near the end of Cream or in Blind Faith and traded to someone else, which eventually was traded to Marsden. Clapton replaced the Beano Burst with the Summers Burst. There were two 1960 Bursts in the music shop where Clapton got Beano. Any Summers of the Police bought the other. After Beano was stolen, Clapton begged Andy to sell his to him and he eventually did. While he was waiting on Andy to sell it, Clapton borrowed Keith Richard's Burst (the one with the Bigsby tailpiece). The Summers Burst is the one that Clapton used to record Fresh Cream. It suffered a nasty headstock break. Clapton replaced it with the painted 64 SG "The Fool" in early 1967, which was his main guitar through early 1968. In or about 1968, Clapton started using Les Pauls again during Cream's final tours.

RDeNatale

If I recall correctly, the Beast was a Burst that Clapton picked up near the end of Cream or in Blind Faith and traded to someone else, which eventually was traded to Marsden. Clapton replaced the Beano Burst with the Summers Burst. There were two 1960 Bursts in the music shop where Clapton got Beano. Any Summers of the Police bought the other. After Beano was stolen, Clapton begged Andy to sell his to him and he eventually did. While he was waiting on Andy to sell it, Clapton borrowed Keith Richard's Burst (the one with the Bigsby tailpiece). The Summers Burst is the one that Clapton used to record Fresh Cream. It suffered a nasty headstock break. Clapton replaced it with the painted 64 SG "The Fool" in early 1967, which was his main guitar through early 1968. In or about 1968, Clapton started using Les Pauls again during Cream's final tours.

Yes, Lee Anderton had an interview with Bernie Marsden recently on YouTube, and Bernie said that he had heard that the Beast had been Clapton’s. He hadn’t discussed it with EC, but he did say that when Jack Bruce first saw it he said “hello old friend!”

Truss Rob

I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anything:##One bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.

Congrats! I have been looking at the 2019's as well. I've talked to a lot of people that were at NAMM , and who have reviewed the new Les Pauls. ..looking forward to hearing your full review when you get it .

StreetPreacher

Folks,

I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.

They reduced the msrp of the new 'standard' range, but at the same time they've increased the price of the Juniors...

Coachmoe

Just got an Original Series 50's Goldtop with P90's.

Non weight relieved, nickel hardware, non wire ABR 1, aged knobs with pointers, gold top is STUNNING. Supposed to be a 50's neck profile but I think my 04 R9 has a thicker neck.

One thing I REALLY like is the nut and the way it's cut / tapered. The back cover plates are also smooth like they should be. I bought a new SG last year and it had the pebble grained back cover which looks stupid. Luckily I was able to find a smooth one. My SG also has CTS pots but this 2019 Goldtop has Gibson pots and they are mounted on the metal plate setup. Not real happy about that and will be changing them out eventually.

The ABR -1 DOES NOT mount with the conventional single stud / thumbwheel setup. It has a thick insert very similar to the Nashville Bridge.

I've never been a fan of weight relief and chrome hardware. I like the look of aged nickel and the Original series, for the most part, has every feature that Historics have and for 2 K less.

I have some aging to do on the hardware and I have some aged PU covers coming.

All things considered, I think Gibson has done a great job trying to give the consumers what they want.

grimlyflick

The ABR -1 DOES NOT mount with the conventional single stud / thumbwheel setup. It has a thick insert very similar to the Nashville Bridge.

I wonder if those posts screw into the inserts of a Nashville bridge, and if so how many ABR with these newer style posts Gibson can sell to all of us hankering after an ABR on our pre 2019 Standards.:hmm

:salude

Bluezguy

FINALLY!!!!! The 2 month wait just came to an end. I just picked up my new LP Standard Gold TOP 50s. It's been one hour since it came out of the box. The Mona Lisa has nothin' on this guitar. It is PERFECT in every way!
Neck, feel, fit, finish and resonance all score 101%. There's a reason I've been playing Gibsons since the mid 60s. Slobber, slobber drool. The Swiss Army knife that came with it is also a terrific idea!
The action is set beautifully for my open G slide tuning but not so much for standard A440. Coincidentley, I bought this baby for open tunings slide work anyway.
The case is nice however, you better take a file to the cheesy gold latches as they have a few sharp edges to them.

Finally, for not really being a fan of BB pups, the BB1 & 2 really shine in this guitar. I play 65 RI Super Reverbs with guitar to cable to amp only. The tones are absolutely killer at low volume cleans and even more exciting at natural tube/speaker cone distortion when kicking 'er into gear. My Marshall Vintage Modern 100w with this Gold top... well ... all I gotta say is the fountain of youth is not a body of pouring water :jim:3zone:salude

thxphotog

FINALLY!!!!! The 2 month wait just came to an end. I just picked up my new LP Standard Gold TOP 50s. It's been one hour since it came out of the box. The Mona Lisa has nothin' on this guitar. It is PERFECT in every way!
Neck, feel, fit, finish and resonance all score 101%. There's a reason I've been playing Gibsons since the mid 60s. Slobber, slobber drool. The Swiss Army knife that came with it is also a terrific idea!
The action is set beautifully for my open G slide tuning but not so much for standard A440. Coincidentley, I bought this baby for open tunings slide work anyway.
The case is nice however, you better take a file to the cheesy gold latches as they have a few sharp edges to them.

Finally, for not really being a fan of BB pups, the BB1 & 2 really shine in this guitar. I play 65 RI Super Reverbs with guitar to cable to amp only. The tones are absolutely killer at low volume cleans and even more exciting at natural tube/speaker cone distortion when kicking 'er into gear. My Marshall Vintage Modern 100w with this Gold top... well ... all I gotta say is the fountain of youth is not a body of pouring water :jim:3zone:salude

Sweet! Congrats!

RDeNatale

Congrats! My dream Les Paul is also the Beano Burst. I was going to do the same and buy a standard 60s in Iced Tea or Unburst to be my tribute, but a near mint CS9 came up for sale locally that I got for a really good deal instead. Beano was an early 1960 so it still had a lot of carryover features from 1959 (ie. the old amber top hat knobs, the prone to fading 59 darker cherry sunburst, and probably a transitional neck profile). If you want to complete your Beano tribute, you'll need to swap out your reflector knobs for amber top hats. You may also want to install a different set of pickups. The stock Burstbucker 61s night be a touch too aggressive and Beano had the covers removed on its pickups (white bobbins in the neck and black in the bridge). OX4 and Wizz both make highly lauded Beano pickups meant to capture the look and sound of Clapton on the Beano album. I went for the OX4s for mine and they really nail the sound.

I’ve swapped out the knobs. I’m considering the OX4 Beano pups.

I’m also probably be getting my soldering iron out and changing to vintage wiring. It has the right components, but the caps are connected to the ‘wrong’ lug on the volume pots.

pqs

I'm really impressed with the new "Original Collection" LP Standards. I wasn't planning on getting one, but after I tried it I decided to trade in two guitars to get my Standard 50s. I think the 60th R9 are still a step up, but I think the new original collection bridges the gap between Gibson USA and Gibson Custom. I'm really happy with mine. Furthermore, some of the criticism I've heard have been addressed by Gibson. For instance, I noticed better conditioned board on the more recent batches and lately some that has a small felt covering the nut of pickguard to prevent it from dinging the top finish.

Ricey

Does anybody know if they are still cryogenically treating the frets like they did on last year's models?

soniccj7

Bought my first Gibson last month and I could not be happier.

2019 Standard Bourbon Burst:

LesPaul2019.jpg

Now I just need to learn how to play as good as this guitar looks :).

ED

CatManDoo88

I’ve swapped out the knobs. I’m considering the OX4 Beano pups.

I’m also probably be getting my soldering iron out and changing to vintage wiring. It has the right components, but the caps are connected to the ‘wrong’ lug on the volume pots.

Cool. You have any photos of this beauty you can share? I am really curious how it looks...

Trans-Am

The Original Standards is what you can call " Re- Imagined " Model. It's happening all over the place. Just be known that the old are still around in used market if that's what you prefer.
You might get an odd one off N.O.S. as well.:hmm Naming scheme is at play here with a few add on's and take away's here and there with materials/feel, looks and finish etc.:dude:

ej.

I just picked up a 50's gold top, phenomenal guitar:

20190717_230350-2268x3024-jpg.393678

20190717_230300-2268x3024-jpg.393679

The pickups sound amazing. It plays great, the neck carve is perfect for me. 10 pounds, 1 ounce.

sonar

Spent the afternoon at CME recently and compared the New Standards to the R's.

The new Standard line has some nice guitars, with good neck profiles and decent looks, although most were too heavy for me. Two in particular would have competed with some old Norlins for secondary use as a boat anchor.

The Reissue's I played were noticeably better in pretty much every way, but for 3 times the MSRP for a R9.

Overalll, I don't think anything would change from past experience if shopping for a new USA Standard - play as many as you can and find the one.