• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 'Original' LP Standards .. Anyone have one?

Bluezguy

Folks,

I'm itchin' for a new LP Standard and just found these ($2499.00) everywhere.
My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.

hank

All Access/Backstage Pass
To me, Gibson's new management has upped their game. The new Standards are quite good by my standards. I also played a USA Special LP today that was nearly Historic in quality. Very happy about where Gibson appears to be heading.

metropolis

I understand they've dropped the prices on the new range and I presume second hand prices haven't changed to reflect it yet (or people are desperate to get the money back they paid before).

Pat Boyack

Folks,

My question is; why are they at such a good price point? A lot of used Standards are going for around the same price. THX.

Gibson is now being run by some folks in the right frame of mind.

Pat Boyack

The new price is more realistic....plus Gibson wants people to come back to the brand and what better way than to have them at a good price?

They kind of made the debut of the Standard at the Dallas show this weekend. Tone Shop Guitars (my current employer) has bought the Gibson booth and is selling them. They will also be at the shop on Monday.

Analoga1p

The lefty r9 will that be available for sale on Monday? My friend is interested in it.

The new price is more realistic....plus Gibson wants people to come back to the brand and what better way than to have them at a good price?

They kind of made the debut of the Standard at the Dallas show this weekend. Tone Shop Guitars (my current employer) has bought the Gibson booth and is selling them. They will also be at the shop on Monday.

supanorton

Let’s not forget that what is now a Standard was once a Traditional. Still about $300 “Les” expensive, but not the price drop it appears to be.

Now, the old Standard, which is the new Modern seems to have dropped in price by around $1000. Not sure about the differences in features, because I’ve never been interested in the modern electronics and switching. Needless to say, that’s a major price drop.

I’ve seen a few of the new 50s and 60s Standards (I prefer the 50s fatter neck), and they are gorgeous. They play and sound like my 2019 Traditional, without the lower frets. That is to say they are fantastic.

Bluezguy

Thanks everybody for your comments! My local GC in Clearwater just acquired the Gold top w/hummers. I'll be going there tonight to check 'er out (if she ain't taken first). Not a fan of BB pups but .. we'll see.

Pat Boyack

Let’s not forget that what is now a Standard was once a Traditional. Still about $300 “Les” expensive, but not the price drop it appears to be.

Now, the old Standard, which is the new Modern seems to have dropped in price by around $1000. Not sure about the differences in features, because I’ve never been interested in the modern electronics and switching. Needless to say, that’s a major price drop.

I’ve seen a few of the new 50s and 60s Standards (I prefer the 50s fatter neck), and they are gorgeous. They play and sound like my 2019 Traditional, without the lower frets. That is to say they are fantastic.

I wanted to wait until i visited the Gibson booth at the Dallas show before responding to this. The new Standard isnt just a remaned Traditional. The new Standard is much different and better. The new price point is a great deal.

supanorton

I wanted to wait until i visited the Gibson booth at the Dallas show before responding to this. The new Standard isnt just a remaned Traditional. The new Standard is much different and better. The new price point is a great deal.

Other than the frets, what are the differences between the new Standards and the 2019 Traditionals?

supanorton

The Standard is not chambered. The neck is a 50s/60s profile. Medium jumbo frets. Nut Material.

I’m certainly not arguing that the new Standards anything but fantastic, but the 2019 Traditionals are also not chambered. No weight relief.

sliberty

The Standard '50s has the Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups. It also has Kluson Deluxe style tuners and a bigger neck profile.
The Standard '60s has Burstbucker 61 pickups (rhythm and lead). It also has Grover tuners, and a smaller neck profile.

I was able to play a '60s today. Not what I want (I love fat necks), but all they had in stock so far. It had an absolutely gorgeous Bourbon Burst finish, sounded great, and I could find nothing to complain about from a fit and finish and setup point of view.

I also picked up a 2019 Single Cut Junior, and the neck felt almost exactly like my 1957 VOS Junior. These will be very popular.

One of my local stores has agreed to put my name on the first Heritage Cherry Burst '50s to come into stock. I don't know whether I will like the finish or not, but at least I will get to play one and see what I think. But if the neck is nice and big, and if the rest is similar to the '60s I played today, it might come home with me.

lvidal

The Standard is not chambered. The neck is a 50s/60s profile. Medium jumbo frets. Nut Material.

The only differences between the new Standard 50's and the current Traditionals are:

• Fingerboard binding is thinner in the Standard 50's (more period correct)
  • Supposedly the nut material since Traditionals say Tektoid and Standard 50's say GraphTec, but what is Tektoid really?

Other than those two things (if Tektoid isn't really the same GraphTec thing) the two guitars are the same. Same frets, no weight relief, neck profile, etc. Now the Standard 50's comes in Gold Top and there's a P90 Gold Top version, those finish were not available as Traditional. What surprises me is that they are not offering an Ebony finish since it is a popular choice, black goes good with everything and not everybody likes the gold tops, and they can use non figured maple as with the gold tops.

Bluezguy

I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anything:##One bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.

Last edited:

lvidal

I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my new Gold Top Standard! Went to the only store that had one, GC in Clearwater. The neck, to me, was almost identical to my FBV and es-335. The transition will be negligible. The pickups were far from pleasing -TO ME- so, I'll be in the market for a pair of unmolested CustomBuckers w/A3 mags.

I didn't buy that one because I really wanted a virgin from Gibson so I ordered it online from one of the most reputable dealers I know. The weight, the workmanship and color job are 101 percent! Understand, I've had maybe 12 LesPauls since the mid sixties. I've been a lifetime player, not a collector so yeah ... I kick myself in the head over and over again for having sold anything:##One bummer ... gotta wait until mid June to take delivery.

Congratulations!!! Don't forget to update us with photos :hank:photos

RDeNatale

I got a 60 in unburst on Monday. I ordered it from Sam Ash last Thursday. It’s beautiful. Nice flame, plays like a dream.

View attachment 9646

I was expecting “unburst” to be a lemon burst or honey burst, but mine is more like a tea burst, which I find pleasing.

Why did I go with 60s model?

I like the thin neck.
I wanted a faded look.
I wanted the Grover tuners.

My dream Les Paul is Eric Claptons “Beano.” Pictures taken during the Bluesbreakers recording session show that it had Grovers. I know that there are also pictures of EC playing a Les Paul with Cream, that has Klusons. But that’s a different instrument, perhaps a replacement for Beano after it was stolen.

I just watched a Lee Anderton interview with Bernie Marsden where Bernie says that several people 5 would know told him that the Beast had once belonged to Clapton. He quoted Jack Bruce as saying “hello old friend” when he saw it in person. Marsden wasn’t completely convinced, but hoped to show it to EC.

Besides I prefer the way Grovers work compared to Klusons.

All in all I think Gibson has done a fantastic job with the original Les Paul series, they capture the spirit of the 58-60 with reasonable updates like the new nut material.

Last edited: