• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Like Father, Like Son

Strings Jr.

One day in the fall of 1977, Gibson-Nashville received a piece of maple that was wide enough on one end to produce three one-piece top Les Pauls. The first top was run through the production process, and the guitar was routed for mini-humbuckers. After buffing and neck prep, management hung the guitar on the wall in the Manufacturing Office, where it was held. The other two tops were mated to a body, then stashed under a workbench. My Dad started to work for Gibson in 1975, and by now was ready to buy a Les Paul. He had seen the Deluxe hanging in the office and loved it, but he wanted one with regular humbuckers. So he contacted his buddy in the back of the plant that had the other two bodies, and promptly picked the one he wanted for his Les Paul. With such a special top, he wanted the rest of the guitar to be just as special. So he hand-picked an ebony fingerboard, and three pieces of curly maple for the neck. When his guitar was neck fit, the serial number was 39 days after the one-piece top Deluxe was made. I started at Gibson in December ’77 and my first job was installing tuners. My Dad gave me strict orders to make sure his Standard got drilled for the custom Schaller tuners when it came through. So I did. As soon as my probationary period was over, it was time for me to buy a Les Paul. The other two one-piece bodies were gone, so I inquired about buying the Deluxe on the wall in the office. After some discussions, they let me buy it.
My Dad passed away in 2012. My wish is for these two guitars to remain together as a set, and be passed down through many generations, with tops that came from the same tree.

Last edited:

jb_abides

Your stories are always awesome, and this one all the more touching. Well done, to you and Strings Sr. Cool that Sr went for full 'buckers! Those are mighty fine looking guitars. Best wishes to keep them together as you wish, and thanks for sharing! :salude

Capt Brad

I was wondering about serial# difference when I saw this guitar the first time!
A treasure for many generations!

El Gringo

Awesome story and the connection between Father and Son is most awesome . I wish I could see the photos but as I can't I can imagine how good they look .

thin sissy

Great thread and beautiful LP:s! :salude

I especially like the one with mini's!

SpencerD

That maple is outstanding!

I work with maple every day,all day. For dozens of years --- never seen any grain patterns as nice as those. Ever.

Very,very impressive! :dude::yah ---

( ATTN! - Dorky wood guy observation if you don't mind. The shading is almost as light as spalted without the "bubbles".)

Wow.

Strings Jr.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

@SpencerD, this pic shows a slightly different angle. Is that bubbles I see?

metropolis

Those are both beautiful guitars and that's such a great story. Thank you for sharing!

supanorton

Beautiful guitars and an even more beautiful story. May they be together forever.

rays44

Hey Randy, absolutely spectacular naturals only surpassed by the sentiment. Thanks for all the info.
Ray

SpencerD

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

@SpencerD, this pic shows a slightly different angle. Is that bubbles I see?

Roger That Strings Jr.

Holy freaking shit man!:hee

EDIT --- Those guitars are far beyond super excellent

Last edited: