• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Should I be upset by this Reverb transaction?

brendan319

Hi, first post here and I hope I got the photo upload thing right.

wanted to get your expert opinions on a reverb purchase I made. I’ve had a 2016 traditional cherryburst that I liked but dont love.. seems to be missing just a little mojo that my other guitar plsyer’s has. So I found a 2016 Trad Plaintop on reverb for a good price that really caught my eye. The pics had me drooling. It looked to be a cherryburst Plaintop (hopefully the two pics from the posting show here). I pulled the trigger quickly bc he had just lowered the price and I didn’t want to lose out.

The guitar arrived the the other day. It plays great and sounds nice through my crappy amp I use at home. Looking forward to testing it out through a real tube amp this weekend.

in the meantime though, I’m pretty disapointed with the top. It’s clearly a lightburst, which isn’t really my thing. The pic of the guitar on the table is the one I took when it arrived. Would you guys agree that the pics he used weren’t really representative? I can’t replicate that in any lighting. In his defense, he never called it cherryburst, so maybe some of this is on me for not asking... but why would you ask when the pics appear to clearly show a cherryburst??

anyway, once I try it out with my real amp/pedals, I’ll end up keeping it if I prefer the tone to my current Trad. What should I do though if it’s not the superior guitar? Ask for a refund? Suck it up and resell with accurate pics?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• 0DBFC813-6041-4409-9326-80EB8E490CAA.jpg
    0DBFC813-6041-4409-9326-80EB8E490CAA.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 727B3F5F-3AFD-4DF9-A01A-80F3B4B973A5.jpg
    727B3F5F-3AFD-4DF9-A01A-80F3B4B973A5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 6B355C31-1E2E-4093-8DA3-5DB014FACCCC.jpg
    6B355C31-1E2E-4093-8DA3-5DB014FACCCC.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 103

sonar

It's the chance you take when buying online.

If there isn't anything tangibly wrong, defective or broken the guitar is either your prize or problem.

grimlyflick

Having owned a lightburst for many years and having seen how differently it photographs in different lights I would’ve never suggested that the guitar in the photos was a cherryburst.

You could always contract the seller and explain your dilemma, they may understanding enough to accept a return.

brendan319

Having owned a lightburst for many years and having seen how differently it photographs in different lights I would’ve never suggested that the guitar in the photos was a cherryburst.

You could always contract the seller and explain your dilemma, they may understanding enough to accept a return.

So the guitar sounds great so I think I’m gonna keep it. The top is growing on me too a little bit. Ultimately i just felt like the photo wasn’t really representative of how it looks under any light and if I decide to resell it I’ll definely use more accurate pics.

Axis39

I think it's gorgeous!

Photographing bursts and even just figure on guitars is a pain in the behind-end. Slight difference in angle and it looks completely different.

I say, since it seems like a good one, play it in good health and enjoy!

zacknorton

The pics from the listing are photographed in a better manner than your pic. But Nothing looks color shifted or played with as far as editing goes.

Too many options. Ice tea, slow fade, southern fade...they all look pretty same-same to me. I mean I can tell the difference with a direct comparison but christ the difference is slight at best.