• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Serial number on a ES120T

gavindale

Hi everyone! I hope someone can shed some light on a guitar I am looking at. ES-120T with a serial number 434004. I have searched he forum and my normal web resources and there seems to be a gap 429xxx and 500xxx. I am aware that serial numbers in the ‘60’s were confusing at best but was surprised to see a gap like this one. The instrument has the normal sunburst finish and gold knobs with reflector inserts with “vol” and “tone” markings. I’m not sure what other details I should be looking for on this model for dating purposes. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!

gavindale

Thank you Tom! I should have thought of that but didn’t. I have it on hold at a shop until the 1st of next month and was hoping to maybe have a better idea about what I was purchasing without opening it up in the store. No problem when I have it home. Thank you again for the common sense answer!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
From your description of the knobs, it sounds like they are witch hats, and those date from the late 60s forward. :)

poor man's burst

Aren't witche's hat knobs black with insert (like Fender blackface and later amps knobs)? To me, gold knobs with reflector inserts decribes more early sixties knobs.

JimR56

The instrument has the normal sunburst finish and gold knobs with reflector inserts with “vol” and “tone” markings.

Gold (and black) 'reflector cap' knobs were used from late 1960 through 1967 (when the dreaded 'witch hats' appeared).

gavindale

Here are two photos. We all love photos!

32757115977_15bd7deb65.jpg
[/URL]AFCC371C-89F3-43A7-9DC3-60E0D1A510D7 by Robert Gundry[/IMG]

32757115777_b205495dcf.jpg
[/URL]030E2AEF-FEDE-4E0A-BD48-08F5F7455180 by Robert Gundry[/IMG]

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Aren't witche's hat knobs black with insert (like Fender blackface and later amps knobs)? To me, gold knobs with reflector inserts decribes more early sixties knobs.

But the original post said they had VOL on them, and gold knobs with reflectors would be the full word … VOLUME. :wah

gavindale

Sorry Tom but in the original post I did say “vol” on the knob. I thought I was being accurate. So are these incorrect for this instrument? I am a little confused here. Thanks again! :eek:la

gavindale

I just re examined the photo. I believe that the there is the full word “volume” on the top. It is obscured by the flash or reflection. If you look at the size of the font and the location of the vol we can see it is off to one side and small enough to have the full word following it. My fault for taking bad photos! :spabout

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Great eye on the tuners btw! Totally missed it. :##

There is a slight chance that these are original, and they just got mixed together at the time Kluson changed the logo on the back of the housings [1964].
And probably no way to prove it, but again, pot codes would help.